You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Pep Lijnders being groomed to be the next manager?

Obviously, none of us want to even think about the day that Jurgen Klopp is no longer in the dugout, but it will happen one day and personally I think we’ve got two, maximum four seasons left before he goes.

There are no obvious outstanding replacements anywhere in football. Xabi Alonso is maybe one, but I think he’ll end up at Madrid so this makes me think we might already be looking at an internal solution. Almost like a throwback to the old boot room days!

I was just reading the press conference that Lijnders gave for the league cup semi final and it made me wonder if part of the reason we are getting him to do them is because the plan is for him to eventually take over from Klopp?

It’s clear that he has managerial ambitions, he tried (and failed) at NEC Nijmegen but was immediately brought back in to the fold here.  He would be a sort of continuity candidate as he already knows the players, the owners and the system that we work to here.

I’m sure people will point to a lack of experience, but I don’t think that young managers really get the time to build experience the way that managers used to in the past. Football is too results based now, so unless you hit the ground running, you’re out of the door!

So do people think he’s a realistic candidate to take over from Klopp?

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

Obviously, none of us want to even think about the day that Jurgen Klopp is no longer in the dugout, but it will happen one day and personally I think we’ve got two, maximum four seasons left before he goes.

Speak for yourself.

I’ll be out dancing in the streets when he’s finally fucked off.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thinking about who is next after Klopp whilst he is still here is like having Kelly Brook and Katy Perry in your bed and thinking about going down The Croc on a Saturday night and pulling some tart from Old Swan with a smokers cough.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I reckon it would be a pretty good idea, if he didn’t seem a bit too annoying. 
He obviously is a really good coach with a big input on how we play.

He would fit in to the way the club works with good working relationships with the players, the scouts and other coaches.

We wouldn’t have to rip up everything and hope for the best, but, just seems a bit too hyperactive and annoying. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

I hope not, seems a big headed bastard, and that bloody book of his caused us a lot of issues iirc.

I doubt other teams read the book and magically worked us out. All clubs spend a ton on data analysts and software/subscriptions to huge repositories of data so they know exactly what each team are doing, the key difference maker is being able to coach certain behaviours and habits into players so they can do things on autopilot at speed better than the opponent.

Let’s face it, nobody is replacing Klopp. 

Xabi Alonso as it stands would be my choice followed by Postecoglou. I also wouldn’t mind Ancelotti for two reasons, he’s a brilliant manager and the whites heads would fall off big time. 

Anyway, not a discussion we need to have for a few years. 

• Downvote 2

On 24/01/2024 at 16:12, an tha said:

Thinking about who is next after Klopp whilst he is still here is like having Kelly Brook and Katy Perry in your bed and thinking about going down The Croc on a Saturday night and pulling some tart from Old Swan with a smokers cough.

Shit better get down the croc tomorrow...

13 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Let’s face it, nobody is replacing Klopp. 

Xabi Alonso as it stands would be my choice followed by Postecoglou. I also wouldn’t mind Ancelotti for two reasons, he’s a brilliant manager and the whites heads would fall off big time. 

Anyway, not a discussion we need to have for a few years. 

Well this aged like milk

Just now, Strontium said:

Well this aged like milk

I was dreading someone bumping this, how would I have known it would be you. Bastard. 

I actually think the thread starter deserves the darts. 

• Upvote 1