You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nott'm Forest (H) - Sun 29th Oct 2023 (2:00pm)

Trumo

1 hour ago, gkmacca said:

Trent is still acting a bit Beckham-like. He's not so brilliant at free kicks that he should demand to take every one of them, especially now Dom's in the side. 

Some of Trent's passing is ridiculous, though.  We're getting used to 3 or 4 absolute worldies every game.  Like a fair few of Klopp's best players, we'll be shaking our heads in amazement in years to come, thinking about how spoilt we were.

1 hour ago, manwiththestick said:

I thought that too, it would have been a factor I reckon.

Most of the managers who do so just do it as some stupid symbolic gesture - it's happened in evening games, too. They always stand there smirking as if they're an evil genius. 

8 hours ago, gkmacca said:

Trent is still acting a bit Beckham-like. He's not so brilliant at free kicks that he should demand to take every one of them, especially now Dom's in the side. 

IMO it's got to do with the new-fangled balls the likes of Adidas and Nike are churning out instead of players' abilities though. I could be wrong though but I recall in the 90's there were quite a few goals scored from direct free kicks in any given weekend in major European leagues. Now they are rarer then hen's teeth. It all started with that damn Jabulani though, read somewhere the players acclimatising prior to the tournament complained that it was like kicking one of them plastic beach inflatable contraptions instead of a 200+ dollar ball for use in Fifa's flagship [s] {money-making exercise} [/s] tournament.

Yes, although they train with them, too, so they should know what they do and how they need hitting. 

Beckham's 'prowess' was a triumph of PR over the naked eye. He'd balloon kick after kick over the bar, or hit it straight at the wall, or bend it wide. Then, after wasting chance after chance (while the likes of Gerrard were reduced to spectator status) he'd finally get one on target and the media would hail him as a genius. I'm not sure what his stats were in terms of free kicks and goals but I bet other players had a better ratio. Roberto Carlos was another who benefitted from the memory of a couple of great long range kicks - most of his shots were wild misses, and yet he still played on that aura to monopolise free kicks for club and country.

Trent is better when the kick is further out, rather than when he tries for the closer whipped 'up and over' shots like on Sunday, but I always think the team should make full use of a number of players for free kicks, depending on the distance and angle. Trent's recent interview where he said he was keeping Dom off free kick 'duties' might have been partly a joke, but you can see during games that he pretty much means it, which is a mistake IMHO.

• Like 1

On 31/10/2023 at 11:02, gkmacca said:

Yes, although they train with them, too, so they should know what they do and how they need hitting. 

Beckham's 'prowess' was a triumph of PR over the naked eye. He'd balloon kick after kick over the bar, or hit it straight at the wall, or bend it wide. Then, after wasting chance after chance (while the likes of Gerrard were reduced to spectator status) he'd finally get one on target and the media would hail him as a genius. I'm not sure what his stats were in terms of free kicks and goals but I bet other players had a better ratio. Roberto Carlos was another who benefitted from the memory of a couple of great long range kicks - most of his shots were wild misses, and yet he still played on that aura to monopolise free kicks for club and country.

Trent is better when the kick is further out, rather than when he tries for the closer whipped 'up and over' shots like on Sunday, but I always think the team should make full use of a number of players for free kicks, depending on the distance and angle. Trent's recent interview where he said he was keeping Dom off free kick 'duties' might have been partly a joke, but you can see during games that he pretty much means it, which is a mistake IMHO.

The whinging Portuguese is the same, somehow has a reputation as a great free kick taker despite is poor success rate.

12 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Bit harsh on Beckham there. He scored more than either Ronaldo or Messi at about twice the rate.

It's not, I saw it with my own eyes - he wasted kick after kick. I heard some pundit talking the other day about his 'brilliant free kick in the last minute against Greece' - he omitted to recall the multiple free kicks earlier in the game that he wasted with abysmal shots. This is how myths develop. People edge further and further away from the actual historical facts. In twenty years people will read about Beckham and picture some kind of sorcerer who could score at will.

21 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

You are certainly welcome to your opinion but just a few seconds on the Googly will tell you (the actual historical facts) that only Juninho and Ronaldinho scored more at a higher rate.

I'm not bigging up Beckham, that's just the way it is. Or was.

Which Juninho? The French league one or the ex Boro player? Both Brazilian.