You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Kelleher the hero as Reds advance, plus CL Draw reaction and what's going on with FSG?

tlw content

I completely forgot to make the point I originally wanted to make!

In terms of spending money, we've done a far better job of it than any other of our rivals have in recent years. I watched Chelsea tonight and its incredible how bad their squad is considering the amount of money they've spent! United have spent an enormous amount of money and often badly overpaid for players.

Under shiny new billionaire owners, is there a risk we'd make the same mistakes as United or Chelsea, or is it just a case that we'd have more freedom to make the good signings that we usually make? I think it's the latter. 

• Upvote 1

On 13/11/2022 at 17:10, dave u said:

Hard to know for sure because Edwards has gone and it's a relatively small sample size under Ward.

We have definitely made far fewer mistakes than everyone else though, including City.

True, City especially can afford to make more expensive mistakes because they're gaming the system with inflated commercial deals. I do have to point out that Premier League club owners are allowed to cover losses ranging 15m - 105m. The Premier League's version of FFP is quite lenient in comparison to UEFA's criteria in that regard.

In essence, it isn't cheating if FSG had overspent on transfers in the past 3 seasons and then covered the losses (as long as Liverpool didn't exceed the 105m loss limit set by the Premier League). That's why people legitimately say "FSG can spend some transfer money from their own pockets". It's not cheating if they do.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Supremolad said:

True, City especially can afford to make more expensive mistakes because they're gaming the system with inflated commercial deals. I do have to point out that Premier League club owners are allowed to cover losses ranging 15m - 105m. The Premier League's version of FFP is quite lenient in comparison to UEFA's criteria in that regard.

In essence, it isn't cheating if FSG had overspent on transfers in the past 3 seasons and then covered the losses (as long as Liverpool didn't exceed the 105m loss limit set by the Premier League). That's why people legitimately say "FSG can spend some transfer money from their own pockets". It's not cheating if they do.

I didn't know that, thanks. I still don't accept that they should be funding anything out of their own pockets though, but it's interesting to know they wouldn't breaking any rules if they did.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dave u said:

I didn't know that, thanks. I still don't accept that they should be funding anything out of their own pockets though, but it's interesting to know they wouldn't breaking any rules if they did.

Yeah, they have been decent owners. But it's clear they could and should have done a bit more. For example, coming into this January they had 273m avaliable for transfers in compliance with Premier League FFP limits.

University of Liverpool did an in-depth study for each club and arrived at the figures showed below.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10108067/amp/How-Premier-League-club-spend-transfers-FFP-rules.html

Screenshot_20221116_130356_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Ah yes they shouldnt fund anything out of their own pockets, no sireebob! Those pockets should be reserved for being lined with 3bn when they eventually sell us only! Otherwise they are cheats and don't understand the liverpool way!

On 11/11/2022 at 04:16, dave u said:

True but it's the one and only time he's done it, and it was at a time in which he was getting grief for not bringing in a midfielder (which he himself said frequently over the summer was his choice).

I assumed the 'taking risks' may have been referring to when they tightened the purse strings after COVID when other clubs were taking out loans and spending freely, but who knows what he meant really. I don't think anyone asked him to elaborate on it, which is a shame.

When Klopp said he couldn't buy a defender because 'we had bills to pay' despite us playing 6th choice CBs, was he talking about his vodafone direct debit? Or is that also another "one and only time" he's done it? 

I don't want owners who are funding us with their own cash. I want owners who maximise what the club should be earning and then use that to fund how we're run. 

If you want some Abramovich type ploughing his own cash in then you're always going to be disappointed as that's not how it works unless you're a sportswashing project.

And if they sell the club for 3billion and make a massive profit, so what? That was the whole fucking reason they bought us, and we weren't complaining at the time because it was a damn sight better than what we had.

They're hedge funders, what the fuck are you expecting from them? We knew what we were getting into. Not even David Moores put his own money in (he gave us a loan that he got paid back on with interest) and he was a lifelong fan.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, dave u said:

I don't want owners who are funding us with their own cash. I want owners who maximise what the club should be earning and then use that to fund how we're run. 

If you want some Abramovich type ploughing his own cash in then you're always going to be disappointed as that's not how it works unless you're a sportswashing project.

And if they sell the club for 3billion and make a massive profit, so what? That was the whole fucking reason they bought us, and we weren't complaining at the time because it was a damn sight better than what we had.

They're hedge funders, what the fuck are you expecting from them? We knew what we were getting into. Not even David Moores put his own money in (he gave us a loan that he got paid back on with interest) and he was a lifelong fan.

Can they get a couple of more loans then? Not signings this time though.

On 16/11/2022 at 15:53, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Ah yes they shouldnt fund anything out of their own pockets, no sireebob! Those pockets should be reserved for being lined with 3bn when they eventually sell us only! Otherwise they are cheats and don't understand the liverpool way!

Abramovich bought Chelsea for fuck all and sold them for a profit even accounting for the £1.5b he pumped in. I don't want a fucking Abramovich type. And that's outside his baggage. 

Like Dave I'd prefer similar to FSG with a few more risks where possible