You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

174 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

2 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

Really starting to see why we paid the money we did for this lad , You can see the difference Jurgen is making to him already,  we probably won't see him at his peak till next season what with this stupid World Cup and all .

I really like the cut of his jab so far though. 

Slight amendment. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

You can already see the Klopp crafting taking effect, actually.

A couple of times today (and against Spurs as well) we've seen him pick out a pass when a teammate is in a better position instead of having a wild shot. That might take his shot numbers down to 4 or 4.5/game instead of 5.5/game where he is now, but if it means he adds 6 assists/season to his tally, it'll be completely worth it for the team. He has already improved in this so much in just a few months, I'm very optimistic that it will continue.

Some of the posts early on in this thread are going to look pretty foolish, for sure. A lot of people were writing him off as a waste after 5 games!

I was encouraged the other week by Jürgen saying his issues were not down to technical ability and I agree he has come on a lot in that regard. 

He is starting to look much more relaxed.

I can see him ending up being a very different player to Haaland. The injuries to Jota and  Diaz has probably forced him to play more wide than we probably expected at this stage but I actually think it's helping him develop and will arguably help him and us play a more fluid front 3. 

His pace is unreal and I struggle to recall a player that is involved in so many chances. It maybe me but I thought his 2nd goal followed a bit of a pattern where he goes in full bodied to put it away. Slightly higher risk but it will probably put a good few keepers off knowing they are likely to get a really good whack if they put their body on the line. He certainly wasn't going to allow him to stop it like he did Mo's effort before! 

There are signs of a partnership developing with Mo and it's nice to see both of them playing well  Get the midfield sorted and playing good quality ball into Mo, Diaz and Darwin and we will be in for some real fun! 

1 minute ago, HBenn said:

I was encouraged the other week by Jürgen saying his issues were not down to technical ability and I agree he has come on a lot in that regard. 

He is starting to look much more relaxed.

I can see him ending up being a very different player to Haaland. The injuries to Jota and  Diaz has probably forced him to play more wide than we probably expected at this stage but I actually think it's helping him develop and will arguably help him and us play a more fluid front 3. 

His pace is unreal and I struggle to recall a player that is involved in so many chances. It maybe me but I thought his 2nd goal followed a bit of a pattern where he goes in full bodied to put it away. Slightly higher risk but it will probably put a good few keepers off knowing they are likely to get a really good whack if they put their body on the line. He certainly wasn't going to allow him to stop it like he did Mo's effort before! 

There are signs of a partnership developing with Mo and it's nice to see both of them playing well  Get the midfield sorted and playing good quality ball into Mo, Diaz and Darwin and we will be in for some real fun! 

If Bobby finishes after that flick from a break Nunez started then pelted forward it would have been one of the goals of the season. 

He'll be much better down middle - it is just another symptom our endless injury problems this season that he has to be deployed down the left - to be fair to him he has done ok there and he has improved game to game of late - but if and when we can get him down the middle that is when we will see the best of him.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

If Bobby finishes after that flick from a break Nunez started then pelted forward it would have been one of the goals of the season. 

Forgot about that one. Yeah, that was really nice. Really happy for him that things are starting to click, he looked like some of his problem was trying to hard. Bit by bit though he is ticking off some important milestones, goals away from home, goals in CL, goals at Anfield - headed goals and strikes. Assists for teammates. Scoring key goals. Interlinking well with teammates. Winning back the ball. All of those things are helping him to settle more and more you would hope. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, an tha said:

He'll be much better down middle

I think starting from wider (or having more license to go wider) has given him more space to move around and played into his strengths by putting more space in front of him.

Hopefully we can find a way of giving him that space when the wide positions are occupied by other players and he has to play as the fulcrum.

15 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I think starting from wider (or having more license to go wider) has given him more space to move around and played into his strengths by putting more space in front of him.

Hopefully we can find a way of giving him that space when the wide positions are occupied by other players and he has to play as the fulcrum.

I'd like to think it will be quite fluid as it was when the former front 3 were at their peak....making us unpredictable and more dangerous and creating chaos.

But in the main for me he will operate better with his starting/main position being down the middle with that fluidity and interchangeability something we have.

The only worry is he had barely played with Diaz or Jota and there may be an adjustment period needed again....hopefully not!

He deserves credit for his performances of late though - that is for sure.

Just now, an tha said:

I'd like to think it will be quite fluid as it was when the former front 3 were at their peak....making us unpredictable and more dangerous and creating chaos.

But in the main for me he will operate better with his starting/main position being down the middle with that fluidity and interchangeability something we have.

The only worry is he had barely played with Diaz or Jota and there may be an adjustment period needed again....hopefully not!

I think that fluidity worked with Jota and Mane as they could both play 9 or 11 and it should work with Jota and Nunez once they get used to it.

With Diaz it might be a little different, just by virtue of having him on the pitch the fullback and centre back are always more wary of pushing up and he tends to stay that bit wider before cutting across the box so I think that adjustment will be more difficult.

5 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I think that fluidity worked with Jota and Mane as they could both play 9 or 11 and it should work with Jota and Nunez once they get used to it.

With Diaz it might be a little different, just by virtue of having him on the pitch the fullback and centre back are always more wary of pushing up and he tends to stay that bit wider before cutting across the box so I think that adjustment will be more difficult.

Yeah Diaz would be the more difficult one - going to be interesting IF we can get them and keep them all fit.

I can see there being a formation tweak to get best out of all 

10 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

We've tried Diaz away from the left and he looks lost. Keep him out wide. Darwin through the middle and Mo to the right. He'll still roam but we haven't had a 'through the middle' player who hasn't. This lad creates havoc. I love him. 

He's going to be a top drawer player soon. 

It’s almost as if a young man in a new country who doesn’t yet speak the language needed time to adjust to his surroundings & build a rapport with his fellow teammates before he started to show what he can do.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Pete said:

It’s almost as if a young man in a new country who doesn’t yet speak the language needed time to adjust to his surroundings & build a rapport with his fellow teammates before he started to show what he can do.  

If scoring four goals in a preseason friendly, earning a penalty and scoring a goal in 45 minutes on his official debut against the PL Champions and scoring after 13 minutes on his PL debut is «needing time» I can’t wait till he gets time.

Sorry for quoting your post to get my point across, as I agree with you, he should be given time.

The criticism, if that’s even the right word, he’s been getting is beyond ridiculous. But it’s the new normal I guess, with an inflation of ex-players desperately trying to earn their place, and money, as a pundit, with the troll that is Twitter, and a significant portion of our supporters not able to form an opinion on their own. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mathewbet1 said:

Top scorer in the world cup

I don’t think Uruguay will go far enough in the tournament - last 16 is probably best they’ll achieve.

Nunez is getting better every week. I’m looking forward to him being back in the middle though.