You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Halsey: Referee standards have dropped to alarming levels  

TLW

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

For me it is not about the decisions. It's about the appearance of impartiality. I've been banging on for ages about why there seems to be differing standards for what is classed as impartial depending on who the club/region is. It's a very clear thing and always has been, you don't ref your own team. Or that of rivals. Rivals can consist of rivals based on region or rivals based on league position, yet it seems to happen with complete inconsistency - Manchester refs can ref Manchester clubs for example. Merseyside refs don't get the same opportunity with Everton and Liverpool. The there's the refs who operate abroad and take wages from owners of clubs in this country. 

And this follows on from what I've posted above. Neville is appalled because forest question the impartiality of the VAR. He's had a right old rant. But all we need is the appearance of impartiality for the whole house of cards to come crashing down. I've said this consistently. Howard Webb should be out of a job, because he thinks he is above these petty protocols. 

Agree. Michael Oliver’s failure to give Chelsea a clear penalty- or even a corner from a clear deflection- just adds fuel to the fire.

On 17/04/2024 at 12:17, lifetime fan said:

In Italy, Germany, France, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, they’ve all had referees proven to have been corrupt or there are current ongoing investigations into bent referees. These aren’t backwater Eastern European leagues away from the spotlight. 

How fucking naïve do you have to be to buy this bullshit that ‘all refs are honest’. 

What’s more believable, this league is the only one in European top flight football to not have bent refs or it’s been happening here as well? 

This is Britain. There is no corruption here. Just 100% old fashioned British honesty and integrity.

• Haha 7
  • Upvote 2

I'm glad Forest have shone a light on this although I think they have chosen the wrong target. Yes Luton are rivals with them now but Luton have been rivals with Burnley, Sheffield Utd, Everton, Brentford, Bournemouth and so on at various stages this season. He can't be ruled out of reffing all of them, just like Oliver can't be ruled out of reffing Newcastle's perceived rivals.

Couple of caveats to the above, I haven't seen today's incidents and I don't believe for a second he supports Luton.

Luton were deducted 30 points in the year Atwell became a professional referee. Looks to me like a career decision thinking Luton would be out of existence and he was free to do what he wanted.

The VAR officials need to be completely separate from the PGMOL officials and have their own boss that they are answerable to. This situation of the referees having their mates on VAR is ridiculous and is leading to mates covering each other’s backs. If a VAR official thinks a mistake has been made, they need to speak up and tell the referee “you need to have another look at that”. The very idea that Michael Oliver is arrogant enough to tell his PGMOL colleagues not to send him to the monitor is preposterous. If they are sent to the monitor and don’t change their original decision, that’s fine as long as they feel they can justify it.

• Upvote 4

For a league that scouts and finds the best players in the world to ignore doing the same is a failure. Up what refs gey paid and tell them they can't have a 2nd job or take work abroad. And go and find the best refs irrespective of nationality and bring them in. 

Watching MOTD now

Even if you think the first two are subjective how wasn't the 3rd given. I wonder if the refs did another of their 'fuck you,we have the power' performance after Webb told them of Forest complaints over a Luton fan being involved

who the fuck is Gary Neville to say Forest cant express their feelings on referring decisions

he's a two bit fanzone commentator, and one, albeit the louder half of an embarrassing commentary duo. 

Fuck off Neville,  

• Upvote 4

Bet Neville would be up to every trick in the book I'd it was Salford getting fucked over like that. He's a prick and always has been. 

Forest should go mad about it,we should have gone further with the Spurs game. Playing the game and asking questions has made no difference 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Jennings said:

VAR needs fucking off. 

Unbridled joy needs to return to the terraces. 

Everyone in the game apparently hates it. It hasn’t worked and it hasn’t improved. They’ve got to take a stand.

9 hours ago, TheSire said:

This is Britain. There is no corruption here. Just 100% old fashioned British honesty and integrity.

The simple sword of truth and the trusty shield of fair play.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Collymore has gone all-in on Forest on Twitter, defending the officials. This could be an entertaining few days.

image.png

image.png

An odd stand to take given his history with Forest. Also extremely naive to believe anybody in the ordinary fan category could gain access to documents proving corruption knowing how difficult it is to provide such evidence. The 'poor ref' pool he talks about is due to the politics involved and only those willing to kiss arse benefit. Much like society in general.

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Collymore has gone all-in on Forest on Twitter, defending the officials. This could be an entertaining few days.

image.png

image.png

And of course collymore like loads of them completely missed the point. There doesn't have to be corruption. There only needs to be a conflict of interests. I feel like getting out there and shaking them all till they understand this basic principle, that applies across every industry. 

We can't assume at all times there is no impropriety, the question really is why we think referees in PGMOL would be different to say referees in other countries or for instance the police or politicians, who are people who've had the same (if not more) trust put in them, but there have always been bad apples. And which industry in the world is free from corruption? 

Corruption is a global problem, which is why it is absolutely crucial that any impression of a conflict of interests should be eradicated from the game. 

It's frankly absolutely mental to make your starting point that there can't possibly be bias from referees and everything should be done to remove accusations of corruption. It's essential conflicts of interests are removed. It's essential that they don't "mark their own homework" in the way they run var. The appointment system should be transparent, including firm restrictions on club and regional conflicts, applies equally to all teams and regions. They shouldn't be on the payroll of any organisation that is connected to owners of clubs in this country. And most of all, the bald copper who's dragged PGMOL this low should be fired. 

• Upvote 4