You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election 2020 Thread

Bjornebye

16 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

Well, it’s hard to get any other narrative, than the ‘Trump is evil Biden will save the world’ one.

Haven’t seen anyone suggest that Biden will “save the world”. Seen plenty suggest that he will restore an element of decorum to how the US conducts its business and I don’t see how that could be perceived as being a bad thing.

Not sure what kick you get out of going to questionable media sources to seek other narratives.

I think most reasonable people would try to avoid that.

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Sky news Australia is basically Fox News on steds because Murdoch is balls deep in editorial control. He's a malignancy and the fact he gets away with it astounds me endlessly.

Sky News is Sky News everywhere.

Plenty of people (right and left) on Sky News Australia are saying Trump is making a cunt of himself - including possibly its most right-wing editorialist, Andrew Bolt (read: a Dutchman that's, shall we say, the antithesis of Anne Frank).

And, of course, there are others on Sky News here making as big a dick of themselves as Trump.

13 minutes ago, skaro said:

Plenty of people (right and left) on Sky News Australia are saying Trump is making a cunt of himself - including possibly its most right-wing editorialist, Andrew Bolt (read: a Dutchman that's, shall we say, the antithesis of Anne Frank).

And, of course, there are others on Sky News here making as big a dick of themselves as Trump.

I don't really think Bolt and Jones are even right wingers per se, they are more professional trolls.  They've just found there's a better career to be made riling up the left rather than publishing blogs espousing the glories of communism.  If it was the other way around they'd flip in an instant.  See Mark Latham, former leader of the Labor party, and now similar Sky News right wing commentator, for similar more egregious example.

8 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

I don't really think Bolt and Jones are even right wingers per se, they are more professional trolls.  They've just found there's a better career to be made riling up the left rather than publishing blogs espousing the glories of communism.  If it was the other way around they'd flip in an instant.  See Mark Latham, former leader of the Labor party, and now similar Sky News right wing commentator, for similar more egregious example.

Whatever they are, Jones is indulging Trump's fantasies and Bolt is saying he's being a dick.

I actually don't give a fuck what Jones and Bolt are - "tabloidist" mostly, cheap laughs.

But then again, so are The Herald-Sun and the Daily Telegraph and, for that matter, The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald too.

Except my letters to The Age; they're definitely trolling, albeit highly articulate!

Speaking of which, time for Question Time.

3 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Well, it’s hard to get any other narrative, than the ‘Trump is evil Biden will save the world’ one.

It's also hard to get any other narrative than the "the earth is rotating around the sun" one.

When everyone is saying something, every once in a while, it's because they're all duped. Most of the time, though, it's because it's true.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, skaro said:

Whatever they are, Jones is indulging Trump's fantasies and Bolt is saying he's being a dick.

I actually don't give a fuck what Jones and Bolt are - "tabloidist" mostly, cheap laughs.

But then again, so are The Herald-Sun and the Daily Telegraph and, for that matter, The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald too.

Except my letters to The Age; they're definitely trolling, albeit highly articulate!

Speaking of which, time for Question Time.

Yeah, I wasn’t really disagreeing, just using your post as a comment launcher really.

You forgot The Australian in there too, which has definitely gone down the tabloid route.  They always had one or two trolls in the opinion section (e.g. Janet Albrechtsen) but the partisan nonsense has really noticeably seeped into the news coverage.

Maybe I was young and naive but both The Oz and The Age both seemed better when I first moved here (14 years back).

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

Yeah, I wasn’t really disagreeing, just using your post as a comment launcher really.

You forgot The Australian in there too, which has definitely gone down the tabloid route.  They always had one or two trolls in the opinion section (e.g. Janet Albrechtsen) but the partisan nonsense has really noticeably seeped into the news coverage.

Maybe I was young and naive but both The Oz and The Age both seemed better when I first moved here (14 years back).

All ("good") newspapers were better. 

Because news was news and opinion was opinion.

Now, the line is blurred between the two.

Thanks to the competitiveness/immediacy (and duplicity) of digital.

There isn't really such a thing as a newspaper any more.

Everyone can say the same things as quickly as each other - so, the "edge" can come from making shit up.

In the old days, a good "right wing" newspaper and a good "left wing" newspaper were both really fucking good reads (and yes, The Australian and The Age were both good).

These days, you don't need to be able to write, you don't need to be able to report, you don't need to be able to analyse, you don't need to be able to opine.

(note: he might be a cunt and both ideologically and morally suspect, but Boris Johnson as a "right wing" writer used to be a very, very good writer.)

Now, you just trot shit out as quickly and loudly as you can... keeping your eye only on the clicks and the likes.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, skaro said:

Not sure about that, Sky over here has been pretty neutral, but I've been getting loads of stuff in my news feed from Sky News Australia for some reason about 'sleepy Joe', with various vids of him forgetting words and what not. 

I don't know the mechanics of it but there was talk a few years ago of Murdoch increasing his shareholding in sky UK which would result in its news coverage 'ending up' like Sky News Australia.

16 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Not sure about that, Sky over here has been pretty neutral, but I've been getting loads of stuff in my news feed from Sky News Australia for some reason about 'sleepy Joe', with various vids of him forgetting words and what not. 

I don't know the mechanics of it but there was talk a few years ago of Murdoch increasing his shareholding in sky UK which would result in its news coverage 'ending up' like Sky News Australia.

Perhaps, mate. 

Don't watch a lot of Sky UK, but stuff I have seen seems reasonably even-handed now you come to mention it.

Mind you, more generally speaking, some of the "woke" stuff we have on offer down here can even the ledger somewhat for the "discerning" viewer who can't stomach the right-tilt at Sky News.

• Upvote 1

We all knew Trump would behave like a spoilt child if he lost, and would scream fraud at any available opportunity, but fuck me - even im surprised as how unhinged he's coming across.

How can America actually put on hold its entire democratic process just to pander to the fragile misgivings of the most blatantly unfit leader its ever had? Insanity. 

The postal worker alleging fraud has recanted his allegation to investigators. Another one bites the dust.

And the DoJ official in charge of voter fraud investigations has resigned in protest at the AG’s request to investigate in breach of protocol.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/10/us-postal-worker-recants-voter-fraud-claims-after-republicans-call-for-inquiry

2 minutes ago, Anubis said:

The postal worker alleging fraud has recanted his allegation to investigators. Another one bites the dust.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/10/us-postal-worker-recants-voter-fraud-claims-after-republicans-call-for-inquiry

Probably not long after it was explained to him what he could be charged with if shit went west.

Murdoch sold all his shares in Sky to Comcast in 2018 after he was outbid when he tried to buy it. Comcast own NBC in the States who I believe are no friends of Trump. I think Sky Australia is completely different to the UK arm and may well be owned by Murdoch. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45654792

Rupert Murdoch ends Sky association with Comcast stake sale

Published 

To be fair to Sky in the UK, I find their news coverage a lot more impartial than the BBC’s who are absolutely terrified of upsetting the UK government.

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

1 hour ago, skaro said:

Perhaps, mate. 

Don't watch a lot of Sky UK, but stuff I have seen seems reasonably even-handed now you come to mention it.

Mind you, more generally speaking, some of the "woke" stuff we have on offer down here can even the ledger somewhat for the "discerning" viewer who can't stomach the right-tilt at Sky News.

Sky in the UK is now owned by Comcast, who also own Universal and NBC, Murdoch no longer owns it or has any input into Sky News.

• Upvote 1