You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - Chuck Berry vs John Lennon

Bjornebye

Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - Chuck Berry vs John Lennon  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - Chuck Berry vs John Lennon

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/10/20 at 10:12

Chuck Berry was one of the regular rotation in our household, with the Beatles. Lennon's solo stuff never really featured outside the odd John & Yoko song. Chuck for me.

Got tickets to see him on my 21st as well, weird gig but an absolute legend. He was very old and seemed frail at that time. Played through some tunes at 3/4 time before turning to the band and saying "warmed up boys?" before ripping into Johnny B Goode.

18 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

So, you think Chuck was a better solo artist?

Not really it's just a preference of two artists like most choices on here plus he was influential to the likes of Lennon / Richards. 

Don't own any recordings by either and Lennon'a solo career never done anything for me apart from a few, not that I'd buy them either. 

He was great in the Beatles but the way some people treat like some Messiah is all a bit weird, like that stupid painting in the subway from Lime St , a half Lennon half Jesus figure with a spliff in hand is pretty much ridiculous. 

17 minutes ago, sh#t waffle said:

As much as I love The Beatles, I find the vast majority of Lennon's solo career to be excruciating.

I'd probably use the word nauseating, but you pretty much summed up my thoughts on the matter.

"Imagine no possessions", from the man who had a temperature-controlled apartment just to store his fur coats. Enough said.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Not really it's just a preference of two artists like most choices on here plus he was influential to the likes of Lennon / Richards. 

Don't own any recordings by either and Lennon'a solo career never done anything for me apart from a few, not that I'd buy them either. 

He was great in the Beatles but the way some people treat like some Messiah is all a bit weird, like that stupid painting in the subway from Lime St , a half Lennon half Jesus figure with a spliff in hand is pretty much ridiculous. 

Should replace it with a big mural of Lee Mavers with some tin foil. 

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

I’d favour Chuck Berry over a number of the other artists in this tournament. However, John Lennon is one of my all-time favourites. I enjoy a lot of his solo stuff more than I do The Beatles.

Watching the Wheels is one of my favourite ever songs Tone. 

• Upvote 2