You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

31 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I wonder if Barcelona will come in for Gini now with Koeman there. A year left, would go fairly cheap and they need a overhaul. 

Fully waiting on the weekend papers starting can Dijk to Barca

Yeah, I said on here the other week I wondered if that was the basis of the whole thiago piece. Koeman in there and wants Gini and we'll bring in thiago as a direct replacement. It's what make the thiago links make the most sense. 

As for VVD, they'd need to do some fund raising to afford him and by all accounts they're pretty skint, which is no surprise when you see their payroll! Am I right in thinking vvd is still on his original contract with us and we've not extended it? So iirc, he signed a 5.5year deal, so has 3 years left? 

48 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

As for VVD, they'd need to do some fund raising to afford him and by all accounts they're pretty skint, which is no surprise when you see their payroll! Am I right in thinking vvd is still on his original contract with us and we've not extended it? So iirc, he signed a 5.5year deal, so has 3 years left? 

He signed a new deal last year didn't he? 

1 hour ago, Elite said:

Yep. Fuck him after his antics last year plus he's not of the correct character to be in a Klopp squad 

Disagree here man - if he is on your side his character and will to win are never in question.

Whether or not he would accept what would be a pretty defined (and limited) role I don't know - but he would easily be better than what we have. And what most other teams could bring on.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yea, just looked, a new deal was supposed to be signed this month.

At 3 years we're still pretty solid, but if we can stick 2 years on that, you'd like to think we'll get the remainder of his good days. 

And from a P&L perspective it would allow us to be able to spread the remainder of his asset value over this next 5 years, saving around 5m per year which will probably cover his pay rise. 

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Disagree here man - if he is on your side his character and will to win are never in question.

Whether or not he would accept what would be a pretty defined (and limited) role I don't know - but he would easily be better than what we have. And what most other teams could bring on.

Do you think it has to be that a limited role (well as limited as playing for Ajax) ? We play 3 up front and we'd like to play 38 league games and 13 champions League games. Without injuries they could all start around 38 matches and still come off the bench in the others. So he mightn't start the likes of the city games, but equally getting 20-30 mins once legs are getting heavy could play right into his hands. Then the following year there's a mid season ACN. I don't think we'll got for it, but he'd be great I think. And still a cunt. 

6 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

And still a cunt. 

Its different when he is your cunt though.

Not sure he could really play anywhere across the front three regularly but as you say for 20 or 30 minutes needing a goal would much prefer him to anyone we have now. If he is truly looking at Ajax his wages will not be much.

I don't know the structure of the De Jong deal but it could very well be they still owe a chunk there and this is the easiest way to balance that.

27 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Its different when he is your cunt though.

Not sure he could really play anywhere across the front three regularly but as you say for 20 or 30 minutes needing a goal would much prefer him to anyone we have now. If he is truly looking at Ajax his wages will not be much.

I don't know the structure of the De Jong deal but it could very well be they still owe a chunk there and this is the easiest way to balance that.

He played off the left for us a lot when he was here, he can certainly play 9 and probably 10 too if we're ever altering our formation. Mane can play either flank, all 3 of the existing can play 9. So it would seem we'd have all 3 forward slots pretty well covered. 

Yeah, maybe Barca do owe off de Jong, but it seems hard to believe they'd be willing to sacrifice a lot of money and wages for Suarez as you would think that would undermine them financially and he supposedly only has 12 months on his deal, so is available for someone to agree a bosman in Jan.

Anyway, as I said before i don't think we'll do something like that, but you're right if he's available we should be thinking about it. 

10 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Your are thick as shit. 

The Premier money has not been reduced!!! It was only being reduced because of rebate they would have had to pay but that now isn't the case and will be paid back much later in 21/22.

Rebate deferment - https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/premier-league-sky-sports-broadcast-rights-rebate-coronavirus

I read your post clearly. My initial post, that you thought you would have to go out of your way for and make a prick of yourself about because its no longer about opinion on here with some, its just personal attacks on postings I make. I've noticed the default position for some of you on here is to attack and insult first rather than make a point. Its pathetic.

My point was, what would we have done without any prize money if we are acting frugal now? Bankruptcy was obvious tongue in cheek stuff but the club loves to flip the coin by saying we are cautious one minute whilst patting ourselves on the back the next with how financially savvy we are.

And to just make it absolutely crystal - the money you are talking about may not all be here now (as i said) but will be in the near future so I don't know what your justification is. If the Nike deal is so shit why did we go for it? We will make more money off it than NB in the long run.

BTW what did we do before we had money spinning pre season tours? We still spent money on the team. We've now got global reach and we are still selling merchandise all over the globe. So don't trot out the season ticket problem. That will be solved one way or another and no doubt will be short lived.

Final point - when we buy players we don't pay the cost of them upfront either its normally paid over time so again I don't know what the fuck you are going on about and how it should affect spending.

And lastly stick me on ignore. Problem solved.

1) Premiership money & rebate are different things.

Premiership money = money from the Premiership based on where you finish.

Rebate = Money from TV which is being reduced in following seasons to make up for this year.

So to the point I made, about the Premiership money being reduced, he’s proof...

F4583AD5-9BB0-4248-94FB-76AC635AD999.png

2) I never said the Nike deal is shit. Read what I put.

3) We’ve always done pre or post season tours - Scandinavia, South Africa, Hong Kong etc. They will have been money spinning in terms to the economic times in we did them. 

4) You don’t think not having at least £30m season ticket money, plus money from hospitality, plus sponsorships and no guarantee of when things will get back to normal is an issue?

5) When we buy players, yes, the fee can be spread over the course of the players contract. That also works both ways, so for example, I doubt we’ve just received the full £10m for Lovren.

I’d suggest not the one who’s being thick...

I genuinely don’t see what’s so hard to understand that the although the club still has the same (or increased) outgoings, it has multiple sources of significant income reduced.