You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

But this seems to be massively variable now.

I’m no expert on this but my thoughts are that there will always be a correlation, you would just expect the ratio of hospitalisations/deaths to reduce as a result of immunity and protection from vaccines. That’s assuming that the vaccines are effective against any new strains.

I guess right now we’re in the phase where we can see a huge surge in cases due to a new steain and we’re still awaiting concrete evidence on how that will reflect on hospitalisations and deaths. Maybe i’m wrong but that’s how I see it.

4 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I'm an eternal optimist, but everything filtering it's way through seems extremely positive.

Yeah it seems good at this point. Let’s hope it turns out the way we hope. If it does, does this mean that the virus in general is weakening? Or is it just that the vaccine programme has been massively successful (or a bit of both?)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I'm an eternal optimist, but everything filtering it's way through seems extremely positive.

I fucking hope so. I'm not relaxing in any way just yet; I'd need a few weeks of miniscule rates of hospitalisations before I do that. But 2022 just has to be better than the last two shit years, hasn't it?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Yeah it seems good at this point. Let’s hope it turns out the way we hope. If it does, does this mean that the virus in general is weakening? Or is it just that the vaccine programme has been massively successful (or a bit of both?)

The postmortem will inform that, but it's either one or both of the above.

38 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

There could be an announcemnt within the next 48hrs about families mixing at christmas, actual christmas, not after...

Do you really think he has the balls to stand up to his back benches on this? i think i am correct that they have said parliament would be recalled/sit to discuss any additional changes? Or is this another one they'll test in court. can't see them doing that with their own party. 

27 minutes ago, Elite said:

No one will adhere to any Christmas rules anyway at this stage.

I think you are dead right, which is why the devolved governments in wales and scotland are coming down harder - they know at this point there's pretty much no point asking people to do anything, because Johnson has made certain nobody gives a fuck any more. If you want people to stop being out, you need to shut everything down. then the only thing happening is in people's houses. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

Do you really think he has the balls to stand up to his back benches on this? i think i am correct that they have said parliament would be recalled/sit to discuss any additional changes? Or is this another one they'll test in court. can't see them doing that with their own party. 

I think you are dead right, which is why the devolved governments in wales and scotland are coming down harder - they know at this point there's pretty much no point asking people to do anything, because Johnson has made certain nobody gives a fuck any more. If you want people to stop being out, you need to shut everything down. then the only thing happening is in people's houses. 

He can offer as much guidance as he wants, the minute he tries to mandate HoP has to be recalled.

Fully agree that that a single person will pay any kind to it, there’s no good will at all left and it’ll be roundly ignored.

Just now, Bruce Spanner said:

He can offer as much guidance as he wants, the minute he tries to mandate HoP has to be recalled.

Fully agree that that a single person will pay any kind to it, there’s no good will at all left and it’ll be roundly ignored.

nobody is following guidance anyway. the only reason people are staying at home is because they don't to fuck their christmas catching covid

Fuck yeah!

Boris' saved Christmas!

“There is no doubt that Omicron continues to surge with a speed unlike anything we’ve seen before,” he said. “The situation remains extremely difficult but I also recognise that people have been waiting to hear whether their Christmas plans are going to be affected.

“So what I can say tonight, is that naturally we can’t rule out any further measures after Christmas – and we’re going to keep a constant eye on the data, and we’ll do whatever it takes to protect public health.

“But in view of the continuing uncertainty about several things – the severity of Omicron, uncertainty about the hospitalisation rate or the impact of the vaccine rollout or the boosters, we don’t think today that there is enough evidence to justify any tougher measures before Christmas.”

58 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Hospitalisations and deaths result from cases though, there’s a direct correlation so number of cases is important.

The higher the cases, the higher the impact to hospitals etc.

In previous waves sure, but the whole point of the vaccine was that it prevented serious disease but didn't stop cases, so the fixation on cases is odd, unless they know something we don't, in which case the vaccines are nowhere near as good as they said.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Even he can’t go back on what he’s just said now. 

See above, he's said nothing is changing, for now...

He can offer guidence, but not mandate so looks like Christmas is going ahead and then 'lockdown' post that.

It's a gamble as it's in direct opposition to SAGE, so the backbench epidemiologists have beaten the nerds with their peer based review systems, facts and shit.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Put your postcode in here and you can see the vaccination rate for your area. For first and second doses at least. 

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map/vaccinations

Just put my old work postcode in for town/Kensington area and, well. 

EA1B7B79-1669-4E76-A23A-3E19DFD6C4F5.png

D922D10C-F532-4B31-9C2C-BC83D9C6C2C2.png

Just put my postcode in and its 88% 1st dose and 83% 2nd dose, we're not as backward as I thought