You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

MCU Discussion Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Paul

7 hours ago, Anubis said:

‘New’ Kingpin in Hawkeye - love having D’Onofrio back but not sure about his apparent increase in physicality.

Him and Daredevil need an upgrade of some description coming into the MCU especially if there's a plan to move him up to the movies (if they keep him on the TV shows maybe not), it's more comic accurate even if it's not more grounded.

The non-'super' hero's/villains usually rely on gadgets to bridge the gap (Hawkeye, Stark, Widow, Vanko, Stein etc) so he probably needs an incremental boost.

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

Him and Daredevil need an upgrade of some description coming into the MCU especially if there's a plan to move him up to the movies (if they keep him on the TV shows maybe not), it's more comic accurate even if it's not more grounded.

The non-'super' hero's/villains usually rely on gadgets to bridge the gap (Hawkeye, Stark, Widow, Vanko, Stein etc) so he probably needs an incremental boost.

Just watched a video on YouTube where they referenced D’Onofrio saying it is actually the same Kingpin from the Netflix series. If true, maybe he’s had a little taste of the super soldier serum. 

I think Daredevil is fine. Netflix played fast and loose with his ninja training. Sometimes he was next level and occasionally ordinary. I think the MCU plays up its characters to their best level so they’ll probably just keep him at the top end.

• Upvote 1

The internet tells me that Kingpin’s powers are: Master armed/unarmed combatant Criminal mastermind/tactician Peak human strength and durability Wears Kevlar armor Use of a laser gun-equipped cane and a hollow-on-the-inside ornamental diamond stick-pin filled with sleeping gas

1 hour ago, Paul said:

The internet tells me that Kingpin’s powers are: Master armed/unarmed combatant Criminal mastermind/tactician Peak human strength and durability Wears Kevlar armor Use of a laser gun-equipped cane and a hollow-on-the-inside ornamental diamond stick-pin filled with sleeping gas

Haven't seen him in Hawkeye but he's hard as fuck in Daredevil, he beats the shit out of Daredevil and the Punisher, and takes a Russian mob boss's head off with a car door. He fights with pure rage, like a big angry kid, and his suits are made of woven Kevlar type shit that resist knives, stabbing weapons. Possibly firearms too.

He's a magnificent character, one of the top 20 villains in TV easily.

On 24/12/2021 at 12:15, Anubis said:

Toby Maguire and Andrew Garfield a given.

Alfred Molina just being ace.

Defoe’s close-to-comic Green Goblin outfit, and managing to pull facial expressions that were as close as possible to the comic goblin mask.

J. Jonah Jameson.

Daredevil! - ok the Earth 606 version of Matt Murdoch (which judging by the Kingpin in Hawkeye is deffo an alternative to the Netflix universe version).

All the classic villains vs three Spider Men.

‘With great power’ call back.

Marisa Tomei’s May being uncommonly decent even at her last.

Peter sacrificing what little happiness he had left for his friends happiness.

Setting up a Sony Miles Morales Spider-Man.

People can talk fan service all they want but that was ace. Action, heart, and characters you could care about - even some of the villains.

I was buzzing off how much Defoe was thoroughly enjoying himself playing the green goblin, he was absolutely loving it. 

Teared up a bit at Garfield catching MJ in the same way he failed to with Gwen and he was has that moment getting overwhelmed. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, skend04 said:

That's Professor X there or they just teasing us??

Seems so, and Iron Man (judging by the ultron bots) so we'll be getting an alt-universe* illuminati it seems.

*or a multi-universe illuminati that overseas the multiverse that Strange will eventually become part of.

2 hours ago, skend04 said:

That's Professor X there or they just teasing us??

It is. Patrick Stewart is listed in the cast on IMDB.

This looks great and this trailer is more detailed than the one at the end of Spiderman NWH. Quiet darker feel to this and I didn't know Raimi was on board as director so that's another plus.

Just been catching up on these Super Bowl trailers for the new Doctor Strange film. Fucking hell! If the last Spider-Man film went full fan service, this is going off the charts: the Illuminati, Captain Carter, Captain Marvel variant, Marvel zombies, Ironman variant, Professor X, Black Panther variant, probably Reed Richards, America Chavez, Scarlet Witch going full lunatic…

• Upvote 1

Think the Tom Cruise as Ironman rumours are unlikely, but how good would that be for a one-off cameo? Patrick Stewart coming back is ace too. Ditto Hayley Atwell. Wonder if they’re going to use MBJ as the Black Panther variant? Looks like Lashana Lynch back as Maria Rambeau who’s a Captain Marvel variant too. 

10 hours ago, Anubis said:

Watching that trailer it struck me that they look like they are using the What If… characters. It’s almost a live action continuation.

Yeah. They said it’s canon and that some would come through to live action, but I didn’t expect this many so soon. 

• 4 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, skend04 said:

They've altered her powers for the show as they didn't want to confuse them with Reed Richards. 

I think giving her powers more like Green Lantern makes sense, it means they can still do the whole stretchy thing (which works in comics but always looks shit live action) without doing the stretchy thing.

Reed Richards is a whole other problem they need to tackle, I can't think of an example in TV or Film where it's ever looked good (but if you have to put your money on anyone getting it right, it's Marvel).

2 hours ago, Strontium said:

All the Netflix Marvel shows have been pulled from Netflix now and will be on Disney+ from tomorrow.

Shit that, Daredevil is one of the best shows ever made, Punisher season 1 is immense too, as are both series of Luke Cage.