You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andre the Giant

niallers

Some great wrestlers from back then when I started watching it.

Hulkster

Legion Of Doom

Ultimate Warrior

Macho Man

Texas Tornado

Jimmy Fly Snuka

Jake The Snake

etc 

That was exactly my time as well.

I was so simpleminded too, always rooting for the good guys and utterly hating the bad ones like Mr. Perfect/Bobby Heenan, Orient Express with Mr. Fuji, Million Dollar Man, The Mountie.

Blew my mind back then when I found out other kids thought the baddies were ace.

• 2 weeks later...

Got round to watching this last night- really good.

Died tragically young. Hadnt realised he did get the chance of medical intervention to halt the "gigantism" but refused it

Thought McMahon and Hogan both came across quite well 

I knew these fights are scripted but was surprised by the extent of it. Jesus, when Hogan showed he's notes from mania 3 it was like a film script. Every slap, throw ,lift,fall was there from start to almost the finish.

Your right, although I would imagine actual real wrestling would make for pretty dull viewing- imagine it.

The bell goes and they just for a headlock- pretty much it 

Even more insane is how it's lapped up by the masses.

I think back to what I call the golden era of Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, Macho King etc- its laughable really- individual finishing moves that pretty much won them the match- or when Hogan would shake his head and and puff his cheeks out making him immune to pain etc. The only finishing move I genuinely could imagine being quite painful was Earthquake-

john-tenta-cincodays-com.jpg

• Upvote 1

I knew these fights are scripted but was surprised by the extent of it. Jesus, when Hogan showed he's notes from mania 3 it was like a film script. Every slap, throw ,lift,fall was there from start to almost the finish.

Most matches are largely improvised. That one was largely scripted given the limitations of andre the giant at the time.

I remember reading bret Hart autobiography were he said up until the 1920s wrestling was real. But in an age were jack Dempsey was knocking people out and babe ruth was hitting home runs nobody wanted to see a two hour draw largely contested on the floor.

They threw in a few fixes and realised they could earn more money with less risk. Obviously it span off wildly and became obviously fixed over time

• Upvote 1