You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

The distinction being that Coutinho's body of work suggests he is worth about £142m whereas Lemar hasn't shown anywhere near enough yet to suggest he is worth £90m.

Hmmm, I am not sure to be honest - Coutinho has won nothing, and played less than 10 champions league games.

Lemar is a league winner, and played champions league more including a semi-final.

And he is a few years younger.

I don't think he is worth £90m, but i don't think Coutinho is worth £142m either.

Guest Pistonbroke

That Czech Rep keeper Jiri Pavlenka has been very good for Werder Bremen this season, they only signed him last summer like, so no chance ATM. I can see him going to a bigger club before long though. Think they only paid 2 million for him an all. 6'5", brave and athletic. 

Football is crazy. We'd be mad to pay anywhere near the 53 million never mind 89! How much is he actually worth? 22 yo young lad, played nowhere apart from the Portuguese league which is shite, I'd say 20 million is about his true value at this stage of his career. 

It does have an alarming ring of deja vu about it doesn't it?

ZLLJmsD.jpg

I know the mancs have a lot of money but they’re killing themselves by what they are doing. They don’t have a bottomless pit. Every time they do a deal like this Sanchez one or the equivalent of 400k a week they ended up paying Ibrahimovic it means the next deal is bigger. They’re older players and they end up being a problem. I don’t think Sanchez is worth anywhere near that money now never mind in 2/3 years time when he’s got another year or two to run. He will be another player taking a shitload of money out of the club and they won’t be able to shift him.

They’re struggling. The two trophies last year masked the problems they’re having and as they’ve done since Fergie retired they’re throwing money at it. It can obviously work but the most important thing that they keep getting wrong is the manager. They then follow it up by trying to kid themselves that he’s long term. By doing that they let LVG blow millions on shite and now they’re letting Mourinho blow millions on players that are going to hamper they’re younger players who would have had the club in a better position in the long term.

Great post.

United fans like to pretend that having a bottomless pit of money means they don't have to be sensible when signing players, but it absolutely doesn't. It means you can get away with a few more mistakes but that you have to then juggle the egos and selfishness that comes with "big-name" players. That's why Klopp makes such a fuss over a player's character.

I will love it if they sign Sanchez for a ridiculous signing on fee and £400k/week wages. Sure, it will mean that they'll pretty much cement a top 4 place this season, and that's all Jose is interested in.

But in the long-term it will cause them huge problems. You know who the first one in line for a pay rise is going to be? Pogba. He wants to be the focal point, and he'll want to be the highest paid, I'm sure. And the contract they're negotiating with De Gea? Forget £300k/week, he now wants £450k/week, because he knows he's by far the most important player to them right now.

Oh, and then don't forget about Martial. He's going to take one look at that, realise that between Lukaku, Sanchez, and Ibrahimovic he's never going to get a look in as a central striker under Jose. So he'll be in Woodward's ear in the summer, demanding a move. Probably have a good World Cup and then some smart German or Italian team will offer £50m and United will be ecstatic.

Then they'll go and add £50m on top of that and offer it for Bale, and they'll come crowing to us about their brilliant attacking lineup, full of world-class stars (Bale, Sanchez, and Lukaku). The media will crown them the team to beat next season, after they finish 3rd and make those moves in the summer.

And then in the most predictable way ever Bale's knee will fall off, Sanchez will lose a step as he approaches 31, and they'll be paying the two of them a million a week for the next five years. Meanwhile we'll be absolutely kicking their arses all over the place with the same front 3 we had this season that we bought for 1/5 the money and who are approaching their peaks rather than on the way down.

• Upvote 1

What i don't understand about Mourinho is why he doesn't buy players that fit his negative, park the bus tactics. He buys all these creative, expansive players and then neuters their attacking instincts.

He'd be better off signing Godin, Pepe, Diego Costa, Robben, Ramos and a bunch of other sly pricks to go with Herrera in the centre of the park. Loads of diving, time wasting, cheating bellends that cry arse to the ref over every decision. A team in his own image basically.

• Upvote 3

Hmmm, I am not sure to be honest - Coutinho has won nothing, and played less than 10 champions league games.

Lemar is a league winner, and played champions league more including a semi-final.

And he is a few years younger.

I don't think he is worth £90m, but i don't think Coutinho is worth £142m either.

Did Thomas Lemar win Ligue 1 and reach CL semi all on his own? No? Then it's fuck all relevant.

This current season, he's contributed a whopping 2 goals. Also looking at the joke that is Bakayoko playing on Chelsea currently, I'd be quite wary of these recent Monaco "emerging stars" -- they might have just hit a very purple patch of form and rode on Mbappe's superb coattail. 

• Upvote 1

Did Thomas Lemar win Ligue 1 and reach CL semi all on his own? No? Then it's fuck all relevant.

This current season, he's contributed a whopping 2 goals. Also looking at the joke that is Bakayoko playing on Chelsea currently, I'd be quite wary of these recent Monaco "emerging stars" -- they might have just hit a very purple patch of form and rode on Mbappe's superb coattail.

Yeah that's a great point.