You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2017

Captain Turdseye

Tyson, Lewis and Bowe would blow away every single heavyweight around now. Even Bruno would beat Joshua.

Joshua is bang average, he comes in far too heavy and has no stamina. Joshua's style is absolutely perfect for Fury, but the fat cunt isn't going to be back anytime soon and if he does come back will he even be remotely the same fighter? Probably not. Hearn said in an interview he wants to work with Fury, if Fury can swallow his pride and sign with Hearn, he'd sort that ban out, he'd get him his licence and he'd make him a huge star/a lot of money.

I'd say Tyson in his prime was a different era to Lewis and Bowe.

You said “they were bums”, which no-one said.

Lee got closer than me, admittedly, but basically we all agree that Tyson didn’t have any signature wins against an all time top ranked heavyweight, bar Larry Holmes, who was probably more past it than Wlad was at the time of fighting Joshua.

We're arguing semantics here fella. What Lee said reads to me like he's saying those fighters were bums, which is an unfair appraisal of their abilities. IMO of course. They weren't all time greats, but a lot of them were champions, ex champions or contenders.

• Upvote 1

Tyson beat Holmes, Spinks, Ruddock and Bruno - his best wins right? 20 fights in and Joshua has beat Klitschko and Whyte. I'd say he's on a similar trajectory

Whyte has got no business being mentioned in the same sentence as any of the other fighters you mentioned there. Whyte is a domestic level shit cunt and if I was six or seven stone heavier I’d have no qualms about saying that to his face.

We're arguing semantics here fella. What Lee said reads to me like he's saying those fighters were bums, which is an unfair appraisal of their abilities. IMO of course. They weren't all time greats, but a lot of them were champions, ex champions or contenders.

Nah mate, that’s the whole crux of it.

Tyson was great at blasting through the contenders in his time. But he never actually beat anyone rated on an all time basis (bar old Larry Holmes).

I do not doubt that Ruddock,Smith etc eould challenge today. Because again its a pretty poor era of heavyweight boxing.

There was only one great era for them imo and that was 60-70s.

Tyson/Lewis/Bowe/Holyfield.

That is the era. The youngest is Bowe at 50 the oldest Holyfield at 55. Lewis is older than Tyson. The difference was while the other 3 went to the olympics and built up with the amatuers Tyson went pro after failing to make the team.

This is funny and true though, once Tyson's aura around him had gone, he wasn't half the fighter anymore.

He was still the same fighter against Ruddock, Tilman and Stewart. The problem with Tyson is he fell in love with his power. His biggest strengths were his peekaboo head movement, his fast footwork and his blistering combinations. As he got older he didn't throw combinations as much and would load up on single shots. He would just walk forward (very little lateral movement) and his head movement became non existent later on. 

He was a much better fighter pre-prison. He had stamina. He could go the full 12 easily. He just had a really bad night against Douglas, and in fairness to Douglas, he was amazing that night.

• Upvote 1

He was still the same fighter against Ruddock, Tilman and Stewart. The problem with Tyson is he fell in love with his power. His biggest strengths were his peekaboo head movement, his fast footwork and his blistering combinations. As he got older he didn't throw combinations as much and would load up on single shots. He would just walk forward (very little lateral movement) and his head movement became non existent later on. 

He was a much better fighter pre-prison. He had stamina. He could go the full 12 easily. He just had a really bad night against Douglas, and in fairness to Douglas, he was amazing that night.

He really should have done what Lennox did and hired a top coach like Manny Steward after he split from Kevin Rooney.  His boxing skills were practically non existent after he came out of prison like you said just relying on power.   Imagine the difference someone like Steward would have made to him.

• Upvote 1