You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election Thread 2016

Red Phoenix

The point is this is as rebellious as they could possibly be. Sanders was the best candidate for the Democrats, but they stacked the cards against him with the Superdelegates. Sanders in't owned by Big Business and is a man of principle. Trump isn't owned by Big Business and well... that's where the similarities end.

Trump is as prototypical old fashioned Republican as you can get, he's Newt Gringrich, and Al Melvin, he's Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity and Betsy fucking McCaughey.

He's pro big business and appeals to the poorly educated, racist, climate denying bigots.

It's why his campaign was run on immigration and fear.

The very idea that he's some sort of alternative candidate is laughable, there's nothing rebelious about people with the same ideals voting for him.

Ann Navarro was more rebellious for not voting for Trump than any trump supporter.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Pence also believes global warming is a myth, supported the Iraq war resolution and criticised Putin's weak leadership. 

Edit, I forgot to mention he is pro Israeli murderers. 

I'm not sure I agree that he is now owned, but if he doesn't do what they want he's definitely get assassinated by a crazed Mexican who doesn't like building walls.

I don't know whether you've noticed but he's spent his entire career being owned by big business he's basically a front man for various construction projects and investment vehicles. Without the backing of 'Big Business' he'd have been fucked years ago, most of the funds that build the projects he fronts are derived from foreign investment firms maybe, they might want some payback now.

Trump is as prototypical old fashioned Republican as you can get, he's Newt Gringrich, and Al Melvin, he's Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity and Betsy fucking McCaughey.

He's pro big business and appeals to the poorly educated, racist, climate denying bigots.

It's why his campaign was run on immigration and fear.

The very idea that he's some sort of alternative candidate is laughable, there's nothing rebelious about people with the same ideals voting for him.

Ann Navarro was more rebellious for not voting for Trump than any trump supporter.

Apart from the fact that he's fucking loaded and not beholden to anybody. 

I'm no Trump fanboy, but he;s won this election based on different manifestos than previous republican candidates.

They want the American Dream back. The idea that a hard-working, non-college educated person can get a steady job that earns them enough to buy a house, raise a family, save for kids to go to college and provide for a reasonable retirement. No one has had the balls to explain to them that these days are long gone and will never return

Those days are well on the way out for hard-working, college-educated people as well.

Pence also believes global warming is a myth, supported the Iraq war resolution and criticised Putin's weak leadership. 

Edit, I forgot to mention he is pro Israeli murderers. 

Aye the boy is a headcase:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/think-trump-is-scary-check-out-mike-pence-on-the-issues_us_57f137d5e4b095bd896a11db

Abortion

As governor of Indiana, Pence signed the most abortion-restrictive regulations in the nation, banning abortion even in cases where the fetus has a “genetic abnormality” such as Down syndrome and holding doctors legally liable if they had knowingly performed such procedures. The law also required that aborted fetal tissue be buried or cremated. Following the Supreme Court’s decision in a landmark abortion case in June, a federal judge blocked the law from going into effect.

He led the national fight to defund Planned Parenthood and forced so many of its clinics to close in Indiana that he triggered an H.I.V. epidemic in one county.

LGBT Rights

in 2015, Pence helped pass one of the nation’s harshest “religious freedom” laws that would have protected businesses who wanted to refuse service to LGBT people if they cited religious objections. After businesses pulled out of expansion plans into the state, Pence signed an amended version of the law that was nominally intended to provide protection for sexual orientation and gender identity.

As a congressman, he opposed federal funding that would support treatment for people suffering from H.I.V. and AIDS, unless the government simultaneously invested in programs to discourage people from engaging in same-sex relationships.

He has resisted changes to hate-crime laws that would have included acts against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people. And he was against the end of “don’t ask, don’t tell,” a Clinton administration policy that allowed gays to serve in the military.

He has said publicly, “I long for the day that Roe v. Wade is sent to the ash heap of history.”

Immigration

In 2006, Pence proposed an immigration compromise that envisioned a guest worker program that required undocumented immigrants to “self-deport” before returning to America legally. His plan did not offer a path to citizenship, nor did it propose a “deportation force.” He’s down with the big beautiful wall. He fought against having Syrian refugees settled in Indiana.

Education

Under Governor Pence, Indiana has diverted $53 million in the past two years from public school to funding vouchers for private schools, including religious schools, and to charter school programs. He was the first governor to try to repeal Common Core. Pence earned an F on the official NEA legislative report card in eight of his 12 years as a member of Congress.

He was one of only 25 Republican congressmen to vote against George W. Bush’s “No Child Left Behind” initiative.

The Environment

He is skeptical of climate change and wrote a letter to President Obama threatening to disobey the new regulations on coal mandated by the Clean Power Plan.

Trade

In 2014 Pence tweeted, “Trade means jobs, but trade also means security. The time has come for all of us to urge the swift adoption of the Trans Pacific Partnership.” Presumably, he has, or will, walk that one back.

Guns

Take a wild guess. He has an “A” rating from the NRA and is opposed to any restrictions on assault rifles.

Bonus: Troubling Personal Fact

Campaign finance records from a 1990 run for Congress show that Pence, then 31, had used political donations to pay the mortgage on his house, his personal credit card bill, groceries, golf tournament fees and car payments for his wife.

I don't know whether you've noticed but he's spent his entire career being owned by big business he's basically a front man for various construction projects and investment vehicles. Without the backing of 'Big Business' he'd have been fucked years ago, most of the funds that build the projects he fronts are derived from foreign investment firms maybe, they might want some payback now.

Yep, he just licenses his name to big projects, they slap 12ft gold letters on the front if it and he pays a couple of visits

So they voted for the other shit party, led by a lunatic, who will represent the very few rich but just use different soundbites. The vote may be a rebellious one but fuck all will change, thinking otherwise is deluded. Not just America, but the World has had the same shit dressed up in various disguises for more or less since modern politics began.

So, G, we have to search for a rebellious vote (party/leader/movement) that will evoke change. That's the opportunity here. People power, not for the same old shit, but change.

Changers, real changers, need to present themselves - not Donald fucking Trumps. But this clown could be the unwitting catalyst that proves totally unexpected things can be achieved.

Next time, for the good.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

So, G, we have to search for a rebellious vote (party/leader/movement) that will evoke change. That's the opportunity here. People power, not for the same old shit, but change.

Changers, real changers, need to present themselves - not Donald fucking Trumps. But this clown and his victory could be the unwitting catalyst that proves totally unexpected things can be achieved. Next time, for good.

I won't hold my breath J. People have searched for a change since forever and not received much. The majority are happy with a slight pay rise or a quick cash injection, they soon pipe down again. Real change will never happen, you need decent people holding the majority in places of power. The only way I see a real change happening is that mankind nearly obliterates itself and those who can scavenge and fight best will take control and survive, but even then they will get the taste of power and the whole cycle will start again. For all of the intelligence we have been given we waste it on wanting to be better all the time, and forget that without certain resources we are nothing. 

The current President made a big deal of running on "Hope". I suppose Trump represents a change from that

The current president, and Hillary for that matter, set up a closed-circuit TV coverage to watch the "live" slaying of Osama Bin Laden.

We can do better than that type of "hope".

Trump ain't fuckin it, but hopefully some true apolitical hope will come along one day.

• Downvote 1

I won't hold my breath J. People have searched for a change since forever and not received much. The majority are happy with a slight pay rise or a quick cash injection, they soon pipe down again. Real change will never happen, you need decent people holding the majority in places of power. The only way I see a real change happening is that mankind nearly obliterates itself and those who can scavenge and fight best will take control and survive, but even then they will get the taste of power and the whole cycle will start again. For all of the intelligence we have been given we waste it on wanting to be better all the time, and forget that without certain resources we are nothing.

Indeed, "better" is the enemy of good.

No, I'm not holding my breath. Just hoping.

Am I the only one who is not that arsed? America is run by weapons manufacturers & banks, they could put David Crosby in the White House & it would make fuck all difference. Trump won't get any of his ludicrous policies through, the rest of the World will still have to live with their sickening foreign policy, I think the main issue will be the same as what you are seeing over here in that racists will think they've got free reign to go about saying & doing what they want & they pretty much do that in America anyway.

Load of fucking shite.

• Upvote 2

Am I the only one who is not that arsed? America is run by weapons manufacturers & banks, they could put David Crosby in the White House & it would make fuck all difference. Trump won't get any of his ludicrous policies through, the rest of the World will still have to live with their sickening foreign policy, I think the main issue will be the same as what you are seeing over here in that racists will think they've got free reign to go about saying & doing what they want & they pretty much do that in America anyway.

Load of fucking shite.

While agree with you for the most part, for me the main issue is how it bleeds into our political discourse, the Republicans will now have at least  two years (until the mid-terms) to entirely annihilate the rest of the new deal social security and repeal Obamacare. An American that is even more right wing allows our Conservative party to state 'at least we're not as bad as them' as they implement even more destructive policies. He may also continue with some of his rhetoric which warms the cockles of the xenophobes and racists on this side of the Atlantic.

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/index.php?/topic/70093-obama/page-3

Section_31, on 19 Oct 2010 - 6:18 PM, said:

The end of the world will begin with America. Basically, they've been sold out by their own leaders and businesses over a period of decades to the point where their industry and much of their cities and social infrastructure are in ruins, mostly down to globalisation and Reagan's war on organised labour.

But the people are too dumb to realise this, and they will want what they can't have - they'll want white America to rise from the ashes, they'll want their 4X4s and affordable petrol and for things to go back to the way they were - and they'll elect someone, probably Republican, who sells them that dream. They'll get their guns and their flags out, and there'll be chaos.

d804f8365308bc1cdb5e51477e9c111ad751c383

• Upvote 4