You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

42 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I'm surprised that any of them were Labour to start with as any service people I have known have all been right-wing politically , and with the recent comments from that general about a coup,  and squaddies having their wrists slapped for firing their weapons at a Corbyn picture , I am not sure he will make many inroads there anyway.

The odd thing is that although Trident is constantly brought up , Corbyn is pushing for conventional forces numbers to be increased whereas their Tory darlings have run them into the ground.

Plus he's rather less likely to send forces abroad in futile US-backed wars for oil.

48 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I'm surprised that any of them were Labour to start with as any service people I have known have all been right-wing politically , and with the recent comments from that general about a coup,  and squaddies having their wrists slapped for firing their weapons at a Corbyn picture , I am not sure he will make many inroads there anyway.

The odd thing is that although Trident is constantly brought up , Corbyn is pushing for conventional forces numbers to be increased whereas their Tory darlings have run them into the ground.

All fair comment. 

But the main crux of my point is that it seems Corbyn is a figure that is not drawing the party support together. It seems to me (from the outside looking in) that Labour has virtually no chance of success in a GE under him.  So why persist?  It seems some people support Corbyn above Labour almost?  Would it not be best served to have a leader people can't accuse of being an anti-Semite or racist (as preposterous as that sounds when levelled at Corbyn) and have one that generally people who hate the Tories can get behind?

It’s not corbyn they hate. It’s the threat to their power. Anyone offering the platform Corbyn is offering will get the same treatment. Or worse. For all the bullshit spouted about him, he actually has a pretty damn clean record over the past 40 years of public service.

Find someone else with the substance, the politics, the voting record, the morals with fewer skeletons in the closet than Corbyn. You’ll be looking for a long fucking time. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Really?  I don't think you've been paying attention to the last few years if you don't think she, or her ilk, can influence a vote.

Absolutely. Look at For Britain and how Morrissey's support is doing wonders for them. Almost 500 votes in just two by-elections.

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

She's just a useful scapegoat for when Corbyn doesn't win the election.

Come off it. She is a liar. Has she ever presented any evidence that Corbyn is racist or anti-semitic? Ever? Anything of substance? He should be suing her for slander. 

I've just seen that Jo Swinsons husbands business receives millions from the EU. No wonder she is so anti-brexit.

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Come off it. She is a liar. Has she ever presented any evidence that Corbyn is racist or anti-semitic? Ever? Anything of substance? He should be suing her for slander. 

I've just seen that Jo Swinsons husbands business receives millions from the EU. No wonder she is so anti-brexit.

I've seen mountains of evidence about antisemitism in Labour, but we'd just be treading over old ground. The very least you can do is wait for the EHRC investigation to finish.

Her "husband's business" is a German non-profit NGO that he works for which tackles corruption across the globe. I believe the term you use is "smears"...

8 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I've seen mountains of evidence about antisemitism in Labour, but we'd just be treading over old ground. The very least you can do is wait for the EHRC investigation to finish.

Her "husband's business" is a German non-profit NGO that he works for which tackles corruption across the globe. I believe the term you use is "smears"...

Labour or Corbyn? Mountains? You haven't. 

Aah right so he doesn't take any sort of salary. Got it. Thumbs up SD. Mind you she takes money off fracking companies so maybe he can work for free. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Labour or Corbyn? Mountains? You haven't. 

Aah right so he doesn't take any sort of salary. Got it. Thumbs up SD. Mind you she takes money off fracking companies so maybe he can work for free. 

There are literally new cases every day. 

I'm sure he gets a wage from his job, like most people. But he will still have that job whether or not Britain leaves the EU, so your smear doesn't even make sense.

I agree with @JohnnyH point of view. I know loads of people who traditionally support labour, but are just not having him. I was with someone last night who was astonished with me that I will vote labour at this election. He voted labour all his life till the last election. He's convinced Corbyn is unsafe for office and there's no persuading him otherwise. It doesn't matter if he's right or wrong, the point is Corbyn is just a deeply unpopular man with most of the people outside the half a million Labour party members. 

This brings me to the other point that was raised, is that reason enough to get rid of Corbyn? I see it like this. The party members are perfectly entitled to have who they want to lead the party. But as a member myself, my view is this. A Johnson led government for 5 years is completely intolerable to me. The best leader of the Labour party for me is one who can carry labour to victory, or at least enough seats to form some type of left wing coalition and banish Johnson to history. I don't believe Corbyn can do that. But it is clearly too late to do anything about that now. Labour just absolutely can't change leader during an election campaign. 

As it stands today, I think my best hope is the split in the votes stops Johnson being able to form a government. This will then probably mean another election within a few months and by which time, maybe labour can find a leader that can please the left of the party without frightening off lots of core voters... And maybe even manage to pick up a lot of floating voters.

The idea of a Johnson government makes me sick to the core. We have to stop him.  

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

There are literally new cases every day. 

I'm sure he gets a wage from his job, like most people. But he will still have that job whether or not Britain leaves the EU, so your smear doesn't even make sense.

Against Corbyn? Go on. Show me the 3 cases from this week. 

Smear? Ok so its just been plucked out of thin air about Swinsons husband. Yes of course. 

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Against Corbyn? Go on. Show me the 3 cases from this week. 

Smear? Ok so its just been plucked out of thin air about Swinsons husband. Yes of course. 

I'm talking about examples of antisemitism in Labour. New cases every day.

The thing about Swinson's husband is just risible.

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I'm talking about examples of antisemitism in Labour. New cases every day.

The thing about Swinson's husband is just risible.

Ok we were talking about Corbyn. But ok. So the 3 new cases this week since Monday - go. 

Just now, Dougie Do'ins said:

So what the way forward if the same problems happen to the next Labour leader and so on ? How is the problem solved ?

Don’t know about solved but the fight has to be against capitalism, against the elite establishment, against corporate media, against political corruption - emphasising the working people, emphasising the wasted potential in this country, emphasising the NHS, the amazing policies labour are coming out with on a near weekly basis, emphasising the impact of climate change and being honest about how to address that. And above all, inspire a mass movement of people in order to carry this message of change, because nothing gets done without that movement. 

it might not work, but we’re at a fork in the road with this neoliberal experiment. We can carry on doing what we’ve been doing for the past 50 years and watch society fall into oblivion or we can try and force impactful change to the entire structures of power. 

I’m optimistic that we can build a better future 

• Like 1