You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

TT Races

sir roger

Its an enormous bone of contention on the Island. The fact that it is so dangerous, and that the government put huge amounts of money into it each year without there being any tangible evidence as to what kind of profits they make from it really pisses people off.

Couple that with the inconvenience of road closures and there is a fair backlash against it.

Do you live on the island, GD? I only ask because I was talking to a resident a couple of days ago and while he agreed with what you said about the cost benefit ratio, he was very firmly of the opinion that it's funded because a lot of the island had become addicted to it down the years, and that it was still very popular among islanders.

Do you live on the island, GD? I only ask because I was talking to a resident a couple of days ago and while he agreed with what you said about the cost ratio benefit, he was very firmly of the opinion that it funded because a lot of the island had become addicted to it down the years, and that it was still very popular among islanders.

IoM via Runcorn to NZ,i think GD has mentioned on here?

IOM born and bred (not inbred), NZ the past ten years. Don't know where Runcorn came in. Captain Turdseye is a Runcornian, but I clearly outrank him by some distance.

Anubis, yeah it's the whole tradition thing mate. It's been going for well over a hundred years now, and anything that's been around that long can be quite hard to let go of I suppose. It has its fair share of supporters, but also lots of dissenters.

There's been major immigration into the IOM over the last 30 or so years, mostly from England. It mostly tends to be "new" residents who are against it as they're not seeing it with the tradition-tinted glasses of a lot of those who were brought up with it.

Have always wanted to go to the Isle of man, when i was about 13 and lived in Speke I actually wrote to their tourism board requesting asylum, they said I could go and live there when I was older and had a job.

Shame we didn't have the forum back then fella, I could have smuggled you in under a cart full of turnips. You could have lived in my attic, Anne Frank style, while the SS (Speke Security) searched in vain for the sound of a clattering typewriter.

Seriously though, don't.

I like big TTs.

It was like a festival of jugs back in the day Al, you'd have been in your element. I remember the wet t shirt competitions. Jubblys! I was at one of them competitions once, and two of the girls on stage decided they'd go completely starkers and start copping off with each other. Stiffies all round. Bikers speeding along the prom with their greasy biker girlfriends flashing their knockers on the back. Used to get some good quality professional strippers over as well, some of the Page 3 girls used to turn up on occasion.

Its all a bit PC these days. Only when it comes to nudity though. The massive death rate is still fine, obvs.

• Upvote 1

Shame we didn't have the forum back then fella, I could have smuggled you in under a cart full of turnips. You could have lived in my attic, Anne Frank style, while the SS (Speke Security) searched in vain for the sound of a clattering typewriter.

Seriously though, don't.

Not even for a visit?

I'm with Secsh, maybe not since I was 13 but it's featured in a few programmes, Coast et al, and it's definitely on my 'places in Britain I'd like to visit' list

To be honest, theres not much there that you couldn't see just driving to somewhere in England/Scotland/Wales, thus saving yourself a shitload of money on an overpriced ferry service or an even more overpriced air service. As far as scenery/coastline and the like goes, I've heard people who are into that sort of thing say they much prefer the likes of the Lake District. This is why the TT is so popular as its the only tourism industry to speak of on the Island these days. The advent of cheap flights to Spain and the inability of the local government to roll with the changes saw to that. They were too busy sucking up to the finance sector anyway.

By all means go, it might appeal. You like outdoors stuff don't you Champy? Theres a few nice hikes/cycles there I think. Never done any of them myself, but thats not my bag.

I like the idea of it being it's own country though even though it's like 10ft wide. You only get countries like that in Game of Thrones.

'let us set sail for the Isle of Man where my uncle, Norman Wisdom, will give us bread and troops.'

'i regret to inform you your grace that ser Wisdom passed in the night, now we will whip you.'

Right. Guy I was speaking too has lived on IoM for a long time so it's no surprise he'd probably fall into the group who are traditionalists.

Channel-4-host-and-racing-driver-Guy-Mar

Surprised he's not been mentioned earlier to be honest.

Do you have that mad, half Scouse accent like Mark Cavendish has?

Yep, very similar. Probably slightly more scouse as my old dear was born and raised in Huyton, moved to the Island in her late teens, passed away in her mid fifties and never lost one bit of her accent her whole life. I picked up some of that accent and turns of speech from her i.e. "lolly ice".

I like the idea of it being it's own country though even though it's like 10ft wide. You only get countries like that in Game of Thrones.

'let us set sail for the Isle of Man where my uncle, Norman Wisdom, will give us bread and troops.'

'i regret to inform you your grace that ser Wisdom passed in the night, now we will whip you.'

Check out our fucking castles. One for flaying, one for stabbing. Take your pick.

X1fpP81.jpg

D4gjFyd.jpg

Check out our fucking castles. One for flaying, one for stabbing. Take your pick.

X1fpP81.jpg

D4gjFyd.jpg

First castle I've seen with a clock.

It's got to be a money spinner for the the island. There isn't a room/bed to be had, not just during TT week but weeks either side and the Manx GP, they must bring shitloads of income to the island.

Just about everyone lining the course, certainly the leather clad ones, wish they were good enough to have a go knowing the risks. It's not like they were getting into a ring and trying to inflict brain damage on each other.