You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp's Tactics

Mil-ing Around

2 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

How many managers would take off your top scorer with 30 minutes to go in a must win game?

The balls on this guy. He completely changed that game today. Man's a genius 

Was a pretty easy call to make in fairness. Mo wasn't really getting in behind and was too close to the touchline when he received the ball to be able to turn and run. The subs made us more direct with runs in behind.

41 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

How many managers would take off your top scorer with 30 minutes to go in a must win game?

I think it was shuffling the midfield and allowing Mac Allister to be further forward that was the key. We just looked more threatening after he did that, Mac Allister is obviously much better at that than being a DM, and he showed he knows how to strike a ball as well, something a few others could learn from him. Unlucky with the free kick as well.

We needed a footballer with a left foot on the left hand side of the pitch. Personally I thought klopp was slow at making a change in that direction tonight. He said after the game some nice comments about the 3rd goal and then something about "that's how it should have been all night" but Gomez, grav or Diaz don't have the capability to put that cross in and none of the were willing to get wide or go on the outside of the defenders. And by the time we scored the 3rd, they'd gone down to 4 at the back by then, so there was also more space. Klopp is a great tactician, but I think he got plenty wrong tonight in how we set up initially and we didn't really improve after the break until the subs -half time is something klopp is normally strong in. 

As for taking Salah off. The lad is clearly not fit. I'm not sure he should have started. Maybe Ramadan had some type of impact, but if so, even more reason not to start him. 

Klopp is a wonderful tactician and the best at making in game changes. But I didn't think he excelled tonight. 

5 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

We needed a footballer with a left foot on the left hand side of the pitch. Personally I thought klopp was slow at making a change in that direction tonight. He said after the game some nice comments about the 3rd goal and then something about "that's how it should have been all night" but Gomez, grav or Diaz don't have the capability to put that cross in and none of the were willing to get wide or go on the outside of the defenders. And by the time we scored the 3rd, they'd gone down to 4 at the back by then, so there was also more space. Klopp is a great tactician, but I think he got plenty wrong tonight in how we set up initially and we didn't really improve after the break until the subs -half time is something klopp is normally strong in. 

As for taking Salah off. The lad is clearly not fit. I'm not sure he should have started. Maybe Ramadan had some type of impact, but if so, even more reason not to start him. 

Klopp is a wonderful tactician and the best at making in game changes. But I didn't think he excelled tonight. 

Either by luck or judgement he got it right enough to get three points. More of this 'luck' please.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Getting Robertson back will be a blessing for our attacking game, it gives us another dimension, especially when it comes to width, directness and tempo down our left. 

I was surprised Gomez was not the one who went off when he came on, because Mo would also benefit a lot from having Robertson on the pitch. But it could have been pre-planned to take him off. 

You win some and lose some no matter how you set up. I think Gomez must have won something like 20 second balls yesterday, a clear advantage with the inverted full back role. He stopped about a dozen possible breaks for Sheffield Utd by being positioned where Trent normally plays from the other side. Having Robbo bombing up and down obviously gave us more chances, but it also opened the game up a bit more. I thought it was the correct move too, but mainly because their players were visibly tiring. I expect Gomez to start again on Sunday.

I also think we hoped to isolate Diaz a bit more, but we just weren't quick enough with our passing. He had Holgate on toast the few times we were able to set him up 1v1 though. As others have said, on current form Salah isn't able to take on/succeed 1v1 against most defenders in the league, so when we weren't able to give him the ball in behind, his substitution seemed sensible. He had clearly lost a yard of pace before his hamstring injury, yesterday he seemed cautious when he had the opportunity to sprint. Might be mental more than physical, we'll see in the coming weeks. While still a brilliant footballer, him not being able to dribble past defenders anymore requires our other players to step up even more and be more clinical. 

8 hours ago, Mil-ing Around said:

I wonder if that was due to Ramadan and 2 games in quick succession.

Edit: which Barry has already alluded to above...

9 hours ago, Mil-ing Around said:

I must have been getting a beer when Salah was taken off as I kept on saying Mo has been anonymous during the second half! 

• Haha 2

The thing you need against a team like Sheff Utd is width which we didn't have. We used Gomez inside so I would have preferred to have seen Harvey start instead of Gravenberch so at least we had a left footer that side for the option of a quick ball into the box. We had 83% possession so our forward play was coming to nothing all night until Robbo came on so we could finally stretch the play a bit.

26 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

The thing you need against a team like Sheff Utd is width which we didn't have. We used Gomez inside so I would have preferred to have seen Harvey start instead of Gravenberch so at least we had a left footer that side for the option of a quick ball into the box. We had 83% possession so our forward play was coming to nothing all night until Robbo came on so we could finally stretch the play a bit.

Elliott was once again shown to be a more effective sub. He gets more space late on and his extreme left footedness is much less of an issue. His crossing is tremendous when he gets the time.

Whether Elliott started or not is minor compared to the overall set up last night. Against a team who will camp 5 across the 18yd line there is no need to bring a full back inside. Far more beneficial to use Bradley and Robbo for width. If Robbo could only play 30mins then start Kostas. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Smell The Glove said:

Whether Elliott started or not is minor compared to the overall set up last night. Against a team who will camp 5 across the 18yd line there is no need to bring a full back inside. Far more beneficial to use Bradley and Robbo for width. If Robbo could only play 30mins then start Kostas. 

I think Gomez played well again,as a defender,but his right footedness and cautios nature don't help as much as Robbo. I like Diaz a lot but his right footedness needs a lefty to overlap for him to be much more effective on the left. Robbo was the remedy.

On 14/11/2020 at 19:06, lifetime fan said:

Wait until you’ve got grey pubes. 

Stop Lying - You're fucking Ginger. 

* And I know youve got no pubes. 

On 15/11/2020 at 17:37, liverpoolsno9 said:

At least I’m not grey. 

See above- He's GINGER!!!

I think what did for Salah yesterday was an incident not long before he was subbed. Bradley was bring ing a ball out of defence onto the wing to attack. Mo was stood in the No10 position being man marked, and made no attempt to go towards Bradley and give him a pass he could make. Bradley ended up attempting to pass it to him anyway as he had nowhere else to go, and we lost posession. It was piss poor from a senior player.

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I, for one,hate this getting things right and winning games. Can't we start losing again just for old times sake!

No! Don’t even jest

13 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I think what did for Salah yesterday was an incident not long before he was subbed. Bradley was bring ing a ball out of defence onto the wing to attack. Mo was stood in the No10 position being man marked, and made no attempt to go towards Bradley and give him a pass he could make. Bradley ended up attempting to pass it to him anyway as he had nowhere else to go, and we lost posession. It was piss poor from a senior player.

I think it was just pre-planned. Mo probably wanted the plan to change because of us conceding but I think he knew it was happening 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Fowlers God said:

Stop Lying - You're fucking Ginger. 

* And I know youve got no pubes. 

See above- He's GINGER!!!

Why you think I veet them? 

Looks like salt and pepper otherwise. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

We can only guess if Salah’s substitution was pre-planned or not.

Could be he’s not fully fit due to injuries or weakened due to Ramadan.

Certainly, he has looked off the boil for a while now, he doesn’t win many headers (looks sometimes like he goes too far under the ball to win them),  he also appears reluctant to go for some 50-50 balls, he gets pushed off the ball a lot by average full backs (often without getting the free kicks he deserves) yet he scores the highest number of goals for us season after season.

A riddle wrapped up in a mystery…………

10 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Either by luck or judgement he got it right enough to get three points. More of this 'luck' please.

Well he'd be getting really badly wrong if we dropped points at home to Sheffield United. It shouldn't need a tactical masterclass for that and it wasn't. Like the much of the team I felt klopp was very much below par last night, but we have so7ch individual quality we got there. 

8 hours ago, Code said:

Getting Robertson back will be a blessing for our attacking game, it gives us another dimension, especially when it comes to width, directness and tempo down our left. 

I was surprised Gomez was not the one who went off when he came on, because Mo would also benefit a lot from having Robertson on the pitch. But it could have been pre-planned to take him off. 

I think mo must have been preplanned, he was looking towards the bench ready to go as soon he realised we were making subs. I'm ok with that, although with the mancs on Sunday, if there's question marks over his fitness, I'd prefer Elliot or gakpo start and we save him for when we need him, even if that's off the bench at half time. I felt he was very much playing within himself all night. I had a similar feeling on Sunday too.