You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bournemouth 17/08/15

mouse1989

Pretty bloody dire again last night,but 6 points from 6 will keep us from relegation!

Seriously though,if people doubt Henderson's role we were again much worse without him on the pitch. Milner is not,and never will be a central midfielder. Hes a decent player in wide areas but not in a CM role. Looked better again too once Can was on the field.

• Upvote 1

Pretty bloody dire again last night,but 6 points from 6 will keep us from relegation!

Seriously though,if people doubt Henderson's role we were again much worse without him on the pitch. Milner is not,and never will be a central midfielder. Hes a decent player in wide areas but not in a CM role. Looked better again too once Can was on the field.

Can came on for Henderson....

Unless we play 3 at the back we're going to get towelled by Arsenal.

They play one up front so we ll have 2 spare cbs plus we lost there in 2013-14 playing 3 at the back and then ditched it.

did we play 3 at the back there in april or may when we got towelled?

2 clean sheets so we should change the back line?

Ibe has little or no end product. I'm struggling to think of anything he's done except hit the bar against Everton a lifetime ago.

I don't want to get too down on him, he's got a long way to go but teams are going to double-up on him when he plays with Lallana because the opposition don't mind leaving Lallana on his own, because he's got zero threat.

A good win, every team except city are still getting in to their rhythm and getting three points is the main thing at this stage.When we finished second playing excellent football we started the season simarly, wins breed confidence and that's what we are getting.

Clyne was immense defensively and if that performance is going to be the norm for him he's the best rb in the league, Bentekes all round game was very impressive and Milner was still running more then anyone at the end of the game.Players like Coutinho and others are only going to get better as their fitness improves, wins are all that's important at this stage and Im not concerned about performances, last night could easily have been 3-0 or more anyway.

• Upvote 1

Benteke, Clyne and Milner look really good.

I don't get the hype around Ibe, you'd assume Firmino will come in for him. Can or Sturridge will play for Lallana too depending in the game/fitness. 

We have a good base to build on after two wins, we have a tough start and these games have taken some pressure off.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully we we'll get stuck in against Arsenal next week rather than letting them pass us into submission like we usually do.

Again, I'd like to see Can and Firmino in for Ibe and Lallana. We'll need Can's forward passing and covering and Firmino had an outrageous record for a forward player in Germany in terms of winning tackles and getting possession back.

It's an easier away game than Chelsea or Manchester United and a result there should be achievable if we harbour any ambition at all of finishing in the top four. A draw or a win would mean a lot more than the point(s) gained.

Great result despite a lukewarm performance - I would take that every week. However, we will need to improve dramatically in order to sustain our momentum. 

Clyne and Gomez have made a significant difference to the back four as they are first and foremost defenders. It is a little surprising how conservative Clyne has been in possession at times (with the exception of one magnificent cross) but perhaps he will become more attack minded as he settles. That said, the solidity both fullbacks provide will breed confidence and Skrtel and Lovren appear to have developed some understanding as to who is supposed to sweep / challenge in any given situation. No real reason to change the back five as things stand. 

When you look at the stats from last night some surprising things leap out. Lallana was actually deployed in midfield based on his average position with Benteke flanked by Coutinho and Ibe. While Lallana did a lot of closing down and selfless running, his contribution on the ball was very muted. Personally I believe any one of Lucas, Can or Coutinho would offer more in central midfield.

Ibe is presumably in the team to generate crossing chances for Benteke. However, we have actually attempted fewer crosses than we averaged last season in the two games so far. Given Benteke scored from a cross from Henderson and was unlucky not to get another from Clyne's ball in from the right, this is slightly worrying. The big question is whether the supply actually needs to come from a winger. Can lofted a ball into Benteke's chest which he was unlucky not to control and Coutinho nearly released him over the top on a few occasions. Milner, Henderson, Clyne and Coutinho are all well capable of whipping in an excellent ball when they drift wide so perhaps a dedicated winger is not actually required?

I would like us to switch to two up front as Origi, Ings, Firmino and Sturridge all offer a threat in behind teams. This will cause defences to drop deeper and give us more space in midfield. A deep defence also has to contend with Benteke's aerial power closer to goal and a partner would mean there is somebody close to pick up his knock downs. It would also allow us to play an extra man in midfield which we will desperately need against Arsenal. Plenty of food for thought but the points are very welcome.

Hopefully we we'll get stuck in against Arsenal next week rather than letting them pass us into submission like we usually do.

Again, I'd like to see Can and Firmino in for Ibe and Lallana. We'll need Can's forward passing and covering and Firmino had an outrageous record for a forward player in Germany in terms of winning tackles and getting possession back.

It's an easier away game than Chelsea or Manchester United and a result there should be achievable if we harbour any ambition at all of finishing in the top four. A draw or a win would mean a lot more than the point(s) gained.

I don't agree it's easier then Chelsea or Manu away, city and arsenal away are the hardest games we have all season imo, they play the same style as us but have been doing it longer and are better at it.

Our record away to arsenal has been terrible since GH was manager and being honest I see us getting beat, if we do get a result my confidence for the rest of he season will massively improve.

• Upvote 1

Benteke, Clyne and Milner look really good.

I don't get the hype around Ibe, you'd assume Firmino will come in for him. Can or Sturridge will play for Lallana too depending in the game/fitness. 

We have a good base to build on after two wins, we have a tough start and these games have taken some pressure off.

On Ibe, I like the lad and think he has lots of potential but if he's going to play he has to be on the right.

I'm also concerned a little that BR has got rid of Lambert, we've brought in Ings and Origi, yet still seem to have no intention whatsoever of playing more than one striker.  Firstly neither Ings nor Origi are going to develop without game time and secondly, we're going to end up with pissed off players again.

The only striker I have ever liked playing up top alone for us is pre-AIDS Torres.

On Ibe, I like the lad and think he has lots of potential but if he's going to play he has to be on the right.

I'm also concerned a little that BR has got rid of Lambert, we've brought in Ings and Origi, yet still seem to have no intention whatsoever of playing more than one striker.  Firstly neither Ings nor Origi are going to develop without game time and secondly, we're going to end up with pissed off players again.

The only striker I have ever liked playing up top alone for us is pre-AIDS Torres.

Ibe needs to do more, he hasn't beaten his man once that I've noticed in the first two games. He's been marked out of the game by both full backs so far.