You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

-there will be no hard border

-all of UK is leaving customs union

-UK is having full alignment with the rules of the customs union

- there will be no regulatory barriers between NI and mainland

You’re going to need Escher to figure out all that is going to work in practice

Oh, and you’re paying full contributions to the EU for the two year transition period plus the £50bn

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/dec/08/main-points-of-agreement-uk-eu-brexit-deal

Daily Mail comments now over 4k. This being the latest charming contribution.

Myself and Anny road both got quoted as "typical Daily Mail readers" on a news watch kind of site a few years ago when we had the thread from here where we used to troll the comments to try and get reps or negs.

Who is real and who is parody in the Daily Mail comments is very debatable. 

Sadly I was banned because I said Richard Littlejohn was a racist homophobe, truth isn't something high on the agenda for the people at the Mail it seems. 

• Upvote 1

I wouldn’t be getting party hats out just yet. I read the reports this morning and was baffled by them to be honest. It was classic Theresa May - words without any actual conviction or substance to them. Once again she didn’t actually say anything. What have they actually agreed?

The only positive thing I’ve read is that Farage is fuming so there must be something in there to be happy about. There’s an article on the independent from Anti-Corbyn John Rent-a-tool where he is actually saying that the UK has forced the EU to move on to trade without the UK doing what they wanted which shows the UK does have bargaining power.

I don’t take anything he says seriously though so I’d love someone to tell me what has actually changed without putting any bullshit spin on it.

As is the case with most of these situations - this is the start. So, Northern Ireland have a soft border do they? Why can't we ask Scotland (rightly), then why can't London asks Khan, and then Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds - and before you know it we are still in the EC and the common market. 

We voted to leave the EU, not sever every single link with Europe - nobheads like Farage need to be told to fuck off. Leaving the EC and such like is another referendum, so if you want that we'll have a referendum on it. 

It is going to be a soft-brexit, with May being forced out pretty soon and Johnson PM by mid-February. Haha. 

As is the case with most of these situations - this is the start. So, Northern Ireland have a soft border do they? Why can't we ask Scotland (rightly), then why can't London asks Khan, and then Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds - and before you know it we are still in the EC and the common market.

We voted to leave the EU, not sever every single link with Europe - nobheads like Farage need to be told to fuck off. Leaving the EC and such like is another referendum, so if you want that we'll have a referendum on it.

It is going to be a soft-brexit, with May being forced out pretty soon and Johnson PM by mid-February. Haha.

I honestly think the only thing most leavers are arsed about and we’re ever arsed about was freedom of movement. All the other stuff is just point scoring and attempting to not look xenophobic or racist. Whether May goes or stays and whether the UKIPers are happy or not is going to come down to that single issue.

If the EU didn’t have freedom of movement but the other 3 freedoms I don’t think anybody would care less about it. It’s generally been a force for good for human rights and consumers. When people say soft and hard Brexit I always seen it as soft = maintains freedom of movement because the EU wouldn’t allow access to the single market without it and hard = no freedom of movement even if that meant no access to the single market.

This is what I mean when I say don’t get the party hats out yet. I cannot see any Tory leader folding on the freedom of movement question.

Guest Pistonbroke

I hope he chokes to death on his own rage, the fucking frog faced cuntychop

You have to laugh at the hypocritical spunk trumpet. Banging on about it being a humiliation that May flew through the night to meet un-elected bureaucrats. Not like he himself took wages from his job as an MEP, doing next to fuck all apart from gobbing off, when he could be arsed turning up like. He's also not shy in taking his pension from it. 

Brexiters are having heart attacks, at least the few who haven't died since the referendum anyway.

The realisation is slowly setting in that the EU have got everything the asked for. The leave vote has turned us into a vassal state but maybe they'll still let us have blue passports...

Guest Pistonbroke

The realisation is slowly setting in that the EU have got everything the asked for. The leave vote has turned us into a vassal state but maybe they'll still let us have blue passports...

Not sure about that mate, many see it as a victory as Brexit is going ahead. They ain't bothered about the consequences as long as they get their so called freedom. Once further deals are done to land future trade they'll be spitting feathers when they realise that it has all been a very expensive and pointless exercise.  

The freedom of movement is a bit of a dead herring I think. One of the biggest consequences of economic migration has been the weakening of labour laws, union power, wages and working conditions - something a fair few of the leavers are all for. The EU are quite rightly pointing out that you cannot have all the benefits of the trading side of an agreement but not the freedom of movement - the two are intrinsically linked together. It was the biggest lie at the heart of the leave campaign (which wasn't about the EC, or common market), and it is a lie that is being laid bare at the moment. 

Hypocritical cunts like Dyson want more rights for his fucking hoovers than the does for his workers. Third world working conditions, third world pay, and third world health but first world prices and infrastructure to deliver his shitty fucking paedo hoovers. 

The anti-establishment vote for leave has given the establishment exactly what it wanted. Ironically the Germans have the perfect work Schadenfreude! 

You can move the goal posts all you want but nothing has been revealed yet anyway. Essentially the leave vote comes down to immigration. As somebody pointed out above the EU have said time and again there’s no access to the free market without freedom of movement. I think it remains to be seen how that pans out. I think the most of the leave voters are happy for the economy to take a hit to control our own borders again. They just don’t realise the level of that hit if there’s no free trade with the EU.

You can move the goal posts all you want but nothing has been revealed yet anyway. Essentially the leave vote comes down to immigration. As somebody pointed out above the EU have said time and again there’s no access to the free market without freedom of movement. I think it remains to be seen how that pans out. I think the most of the leave voters are happy for the economy to take a hit to control our own borders again. They just don’t realise the level of that hit if there’s no free trade with the EU.

Also, they  don't realise it is not going to keep out brown immigrants or terrorists/muslim immigrants! 

We all know that the issues isn't European immigrants as such - especially the white ones from normal European countries. 

Guest Pistonbroke

If the UK want trade deals they'll have to accept freedom of movement to a certain extent, whether that be with European/Asian/African countries etc. To think otherwise is folly.

Not necessarily. If we officially leave the free trade area and customs union but agree a separate free trade and customs agreement which is essentially the same bar the title we can then in theory renegotiate the freedom of movement to include such thing as work permits.

EU citizens still have the same rights to move and enter the country that they do now but would require a work permit. Subject to us paying an annual fee to the EU.

All to be negotiated.

If the UK want trade deals they'll have to accept freedom of movement to a certain extent, whether that be with European/Asian/African countries etc. To think otherwise is folly.

That is how I see it. Also, if we do look to India and China for increases in trade you can bet your house that visa's and lessening the criteria for their citizens to work in the UK, will be at the forefront of the agenda.

Germany the biggest and most influence pro-European nation, is the biggest european partner with China - they also allow Chinese students to stay and work in the country for a limited period.

Honestly - the actual definition of trade is essentially give and take - quite why the Leavers think it means, take what we want is beyond me. The rank stupidity and intellectual vacuum at the heart of the leave campaign is epitomised by the Tories and conmen like Farage.