You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What age should bands pack it in?

Total Longo

The U2 thread has got me thinking about creativity in musicians after a certain age. 

Most bands should sack it at 40 at the latest. I can't think of a single band that has continued to make great music once they hit 40. I'm not talking about touring and flogging a dead horse a la The Stones and The who, i mean actually recording decent albums and them not being embarrassing in comparison to their earlier years.

I'm here to be enlightened though.

Bah, I'm 40 this year.  You're trying to ruin my unfulfilled rock 'n' roll dream.

Anyway, Mudhoney's last LP was way better than, for example, the abysmal Piece of Cake released in 1992.

Bowie is still churning out LPs nominated for awards.

If you're good enough you're old enough.

• Upvote 1

It's not an age thing, it's a money thing. Once a band hits a certain level of income they generally turn to shite. It could be ego, it could be complacency, it probably is drugs.

Mudhoney for example are still boss but all have other jobs to keep them sane. Thee Oh Sees are hardly kids and they are the best band on the planet.

• Upvote 1

I'm 32 soon, already thinking of packing in the indie stuff. I'm now one of those musicians I used to tut at in my youth on the gigging circuit when seeing them arrive for soundcheck.

Plus I'm nearly grey!!! Any little cred I had is nearly gone now!!

• Upvote 1

What about freedom?! What an album

Some people can pull it off, Neil Young is one of them. He's not exactly singing about schoolgirls and running about grabbing his cock like Mick Jagger or Brian Johnson though.

I think there's a difference between a band and a solo artist doing it anyway, if Neil Young was touring with Buffalo Springfield he wouldn't look quite so dignified.

I'm 32 soon, already thinking of packing in the indie stuff. I'm now one of those musicians I used to tut at in my youth on the gigging circuit when seeing them arrive for soundcheck.

fuck that - you've got at least another 30 years in you yet...

Yeah this. Some styles of music are a young mans game whichever way you cut it.

I'm 40 now, and a fella same age as me I was in an indie type band with through late teens/early twenties was still doing the same sort of thing up until about two years ago.

He jacked it in when he became a grandad.

• Upvote 1

Bah, I'm 40 this year.  You're trying to ruin my unfulfilled rock 'n' roll dream.

Anyway, Mudhoney's last LP was way better than, for example, the abysmal Piece of Cake released in 1992.

Bowie is still churning out LPs nominated for awards.

If you're good enough you're old enough.

Ha.  I'm 39 and was thinking the other day that I need to start a band, you interested?

I haven't played in a band since I was 21 mind you.

I reckon most rock/pop bands who "make it" hit the right combination of ideas and talent, most often by accident.  When they're young writing songs about life being shit/beautiful, getting wasted, teenage angst, girls, boys and being skint, etc. etc. is easy and resonates with people.  Once they get older and richer, writing songs about being middle aged, rich and taking lots of drugs in a big house is pretty shit.  So it takes a proper poet to be able to continue to write meaningful songs.

Also the best pop music is about simplicity, as bands get older they get "better" technically, and tend to wander off into more grandiose music, which is most often shit.  It takes a genius to be able to distil the extra music knowledge into still simple sounding tunes.  Ergo the older an artist gets the smarter they have to be at writing songs, without also overthinking it.  This balancing of knowledge and power to use it tends to thin out the herd to just the awesome that are left.