You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Why Mario has to go - now (ESPN article)

tlw content

What, so him being rich overrides everything else?

I think it means you dont need to feel sorry for him he should feel sorrow for you but I doubt the thought crosses his mind mate.

Sorrow that youre not in his wedge and have to watch his half arsed attempts to justify his own wages.

I know the whole football is a religion thing pervades but in realitytown hes not dying from cancer hes just a shit footy player on high wages so if his wellbeing is your concern you have a good life.

• Upvote 1

I honestly can't understand how we didn't make more of an effort to sell him this January.  I don't even care if we didn't get a replacement (although obviously it would be better to have one) - just get his wages off the books.  He's not going to contribute anything between now and the end of the season; I'd put money on him scoring fewer than three goals before the season ends.  So why not take whatever money we could get and get his wages off the books?

I think it's probably down to his agent.  He was spouting off the other day again about how he had a bet with Mario that he'll leave for 50 million or some rubbish.  I bet he digs his heels in and we are going to have an Aquilani of a time shifting him, even in the summer.

• Upvote 1

I think it means you dont need to feel sorry for him he should feel sorrow for you but I doubt the thought crosses his mind mate.

Sorrow that youre not in his wedge and have to watch his half arsed attempts to justify his own wages.

I know the whole football is a religion thing pervades but in realitytown hes not dying from cancer hes just a shit footy player on high wages so if his wellbeing is your concern you have a good life.

Disregarding his personal wealth is it okay to empathise with him about his struggles on the pitch? 

• Upvote 1

I honestly can't understand how we didn't make more of an effort to sell him this January. I don't even care if we didn't get a replacement (although obviously it would be better to have one) - just get his wages off the books. He's not going to contribute anything between now and the end of the season; I'd put money on him scoring fewer than three goals before the season ends. So why not take whatever money we could get and get his wages off the books?

I think it's probably down to his agent. He was spouting off the other day again about how he had a bet with Mario that he'll leave for 50 million or some rubbish. I bet he digs his heels in and we are going to have an Aquilani of a time shifting him, even in the summer.

I think you're bang on.

Our over-keeness for a bargain over getting the right player, as perfectly exemplified by the Balotelli purchase, and club-sponsored cries of "At that price we'll get our money back if it doesn't work out" via the Echo, have undertones of Del Boy buying a load of telephones that don't ring on the cheap and claiming to Rodders they can't lose on the deal.

We'll be lucky to see dollar one of that money back, all we've done is stockpile something we keep needing to shell out on storage for, as no-one else will give us our money back.

Disregarding his personal wealth is it okay to empathise with him about his struggles on the pitch? 

Disregarded then.

Im not sure he is in any kind of active struggle, that would suggest he's shown some real fight rather than just limp, flaccid performances.

Thats why he's not getting in the squad ahead of lesser skilled players?

No I see no reason to posit him sympathy and empathy I cannot understand what it is like to be in that situation until I walk a mile in his clown shoes. Really if you want to equate anything to it if Im in a footy team at cf and not getting a look in cos Ive played gash and scored a goal in 12 games and not working as hard as those who have taken my place then  Id expect to be treated no different, I wouldnt expect chance after chance and sympathy after sympathy like Mario gets. I would expect to either walk away or work harder than the other two ahead of me at the very least, actually three now Dan is back.

If he comes back in scores loads for a couple of games then breaks his leg he might get some sympathy there but this is LFC mate not qpr.

I did not watch this whole vid. He does chase the ball around alot when we are not in possession. His movement when WE have the ball is atrocious.

Look at .30 and again at 1.09 for insight into why he is toothless as a one up striker.

Mario has even admitted he's not comfortable playing as a one up striker.

The video shows his pressing was fine and the performance was nowhere near as bad as made out.

Played next to Sturridge pushed forward Mario dropping deep can be a benefit, both of them get more space and when balls are played across the box Sturridge is waiting on the 6 yard line while Mario will be on the edge of the box.

If he's given a fair chance being in and around the first team until the end of the season I see him getting a few goals and looking better, if he gets dropped for a few games after any appearance where he doesn't get a goal it will be very difficult like it would be for any player.

I did not watch this whole vid. He does chase the ball around alot when we are not in possession. His movement when WE have the ball is atrocious.

Look at .30 and again at 1.09 for insight into why he is toothless as a one up striker.

Forgot which thread I was on then and thought this was about that Jordanian pilot.

Great performance tonight from Mario tonight (even apart from the goal)

Worked hard and pulled defenders around the place

Every sign of  a player working hard to prove himself

I'm not sure it was great; it was about the least we would expect from a premiership forward. We fall into the trap of lauding average performances when a player who has been shit for ages actually improves to the average level.  Granted, there has been a massive improvement evident in his last few appearances, but he's never going to set the bathroom world alight playing at this level.  

Made up for him and us with the goal though - seemed to take it on his wrong foot, but who cares?

Pleased to see some of that last night, pressing and harrying and time wasting to help see the result out once he'd scored our crucial goal, riled them a couple of times and I enjoyed that bit where Dier I think it was snapped and tried to wrestle him on the sideline.  More of that please, it showed some savvy for once, and I don't just mean from him.

Liked the way he took the goal early with his wrong foot, as Stringy said. 

Happy to give him credit for all that.