You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

Why? They need someone in alongside Arteta - or most likely instead of - when he picks up his customary injury. I think he'd be ideal for Arsenal. It's a matter of whether they'll match his reported £90,000 weekly wage which would be prohibitive, but not impossible for Arsenal to cover.

Because Milner is not a DM and they even have Flamini to do that with Arteta.  They have plenty of box to box and attacking midfielders in Ramsey, OX, Wilshire, Rosicky, Cazorla etc.

They need a GK and striker more than anything else.

According to the Guardian Milner has told City he wants to leave. Us and Arse are interested in him.

I'd love to sign him. Him and Henderson in the middle would be of epic proportions in terms of closing down opponents.

I'm balls-deep in this one, could be a legendary signing, no idea what his ceiling is once he works with Brendan.

I'd love to sign him. Him and Henderson in the middle would be of epic proportions in terms of closing down opponents.

I'm balls-deep in this one, could be a legendary signing, no idea what his ceiling is once he works with Brendan.

Bit of a bland midfield.

Yes, I take your point, but still, no matter how much money these lads earn, the majority of them are on the lookout for more.

I think they go for:

1) More medals

2) More money

3) Bigger club

4) More playing time

Probably in that order. The more playing time only tends to come into play when the other 3 options are reducing, due to them being on the downward slope of their career rather than the upward.

If all these players really wanted more playing time above anything else, top clubs would have some poor benches, and they don't.

Bigger club probably most like to get 1 and 2 - but not necessarily 4. I suppose if you're looking at about 4 years left of a playing career, looking at a bigger club becomes less likely to offer that. In general though, players have obviously different motivations than supporters. I want a player who puts number 1 (more medals) and 2 (more playing time) above the other two.  Those things are probably more likely to be found in younger players.

Because Milner is not a DM and they even have Flamini to do that with Arteta.  They have plenty of box to box and attacking midfielders in Ramsey, OX, Wilshire, Rosicky, Cazorla etc.

They need a GK and striker more than anything else.

Most of those Arsenal players you mention have suffered some sort of recurring injury that keeps them out for weeks/months, or season-ending injury.

Regarding Bony, I think he'd be a good addition.

Scores goals. Solid as fuck, but also mobile with it. Can look a bit disinterested at times though.

But, I think we were screaming out for someone like him in our two pivotal games, this season just gone. Palace and Chelsea.

Palace. Everything was coming back to us. The front players weren't holding the ball up. Maybe through tiredness, but we were crying out for a strong centre forward in that last 15-20 mins. Someone to hold it up and bring others in to play, relieve pressure, maybe draw a cheap foul or two.

Chelsea. We were one dimensional. Trying to play through a wall of 11 players. We then got frustrated and started getting it wide and hitting pointless crosses into the box, which were always won by Chelsea's taller centre backs and holding midfielders.

I think Bony would offer a good option against park the bus teams and against the bigger teams away from home and in Europe were we mightn't have the lions share of the ball.

There's definitely better forwards out there in a different physical mould, but Bony would definitely bring a different dimension to our play, the plan B which Rodgers has been accused by some of lacking, without being a complete lummox like Carroll.

Not the most exciting of potential signings, but I can see the merits of it.

Yes, I take your point, but still, no matter how much money these lads earn, the majority of them are on the lookout for more.

I think they go for:

1) More medals

2) More money

3) Bigger club

4) More playing time

Probably in that order. The more playing time only tends to come into play when the other 3 options are reducing, due to them being on the downward slope of their career rather than the upward.

If all these players really wanted more playing time above anything else, top clubs would have some poor benches, and they don't.

Thiago, Pogba and Sturridge are all recent examples of top players nearing the peak of their powerswho have left their respective clubs for more playing time. They may be the exception but it does prove that leaving a club to play is not the exclusive domain of players over the hill.

I agree that money is the prime motivator in general. And with that more often than not comes the propect of trophies. The size of the club matters not. You had no problems attracting players. Neither did Monaco or PSG or Malaga. Hardly institutions in the footballing world.

I don't know Milner's motivations but there is a fair chance the press reports are genuine and he wants to leave for playing time. It's hardly radical.

Didn't Swansea pay £14m for Bony? So they'd probably want about upwards of £25m for him.

Bundesliga watchers, anyone there we could/should be looking at?

Just noticed a Swiss lad called Drmic scored 17 goals for the 2nd worst team in the league this season. He's only 21 as well. Unfortunately he signed for Leverkusen (7m Euros) last week.

Adrian Ramos any good? Already 28, and doesn't appear to be a regular for Columbia so could have work permit issues as well.

Firmino? Seen him mentioned a bit.

Okazaki? Got a good record for Japan, seems like this season was the first that he got many at club level.

Pierre-Michel Lasogga? Only 22, looks like he'd have no trouble with the physical demands of the Premier League.

Thiago, Pogba and Sturridge are all recent examples of top players nearing the peak of their powerswho have left their respective clubs for more playing time. They may be the exception but it does prove that leaving a club to play is not the exclusive domain of players over the hill.

I agree that money is the prime motivator in general. And with that more often than not comes the propect of trophies. The size of the club matters not. You had no problems attracting players. Neither did Monaco or PSG or Malaga. Hardly institutions in the footballing world.

I don't know Milner's motivations but there is a fair chance the press reports are genuine and he wants to leave for playing time. It's hardly radical.

Or, knowing full well the issues with regards City and the home grown rule predicament, and City not keen to sell him, he's angling for a bump in wages/extended contract? He's in a pretty good bargaining position. But I think it's playing time in his preferred position he wants. He's 28, an England international and probably wants to play after the world cup.

Fuck Bony

He is a tit , we don't need him and can do better anyway. Everton is his type of team. 

I'd be happy with an older player. Someone who won't expect to play every week but knows where the back of the net is if needed. 

Defoe, Lambert or dare I say it, Drogba. 

Won't cost much in terms of a fee leaving money for more important positions. 

Fuck Bony

He is a tit , we don't need him and can do better anyway. Everton is his type of team. 

I'd be happy with an older player. Someone who won't expect to play every week but knows where the back of the net is if needed. 

Defoe, Lambert or dare I say it, Drogba. 

Won't cost much in terms of a fee leaving money for more important positions. 

Defoe has already played for Spurs and Toronto this year so even if we signed him (which we shouldn't and won't), we probably wouldn't be able to play him anyway. Lambert is playing every week and would want to continue to do so. Drogba is almost 36 and is still so infatuated with Chelsea that he's not put his all into matches since he left them.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He is a managerial heavyweight. Can see things being tough for at least a season in the same way it was for Rodgers. That said, he will have more money and attract bigger players than Rodgers. Hope he has a meltdown.

Defoe has already played for Spurs and Toronto this year so even if we signed him (which we shouldn't and won't), we probably wouldn't be able to play him anyway. Lambert is playing every week and would want to continue to do so. Drogba is almost 36 and is still so infatuated with Chelsea that he's not put his all into matches since he left them.

And his hair stinks of catpiss.

• Upvote 1

We don't need another centre forward. Get more depth and quality (and goals) out wide and it will reduce the games sturridge and Suarez have to play out there and let them focus on the main role. Borini will be plenty for now.

...and Jack Dunn of course. Then aspas... Maybe.

Last night I dreamt I was sat next to Ashley Cole at some beach where we discussed Lars Von Trier films. I asked him if he was signing for us and he said he didn't know, but he did know Chelsea were buying Marco Reus.

bet he thought LVT directed Festen, the stupid twat.

Van Gaal will be under a lot of pressure. 

He'll be able to attract big names, but players must be a little wary of not being in CL and no guarantee of getting in next year. If United go two years out of CL, it'll be very hard indeed for them thereon in.

If they get off to a good start next season, the confidence boost will be worth 15-20 points for them. If they get off poorly though....