You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

7 minutes ago, Dicko said:

No you remembered both.

Not sure where we are going with this other than I think people remember player manager spats. They almost certainly remember them when a manager has a matter of weeks left. I remember Mane, Henderson off the top of my head. I'll certainly remember this in X amount of years time.

2 hours ago, Smell The Glove said:

Not sure where we are going with this other than I think people remember player manager spats. They almost certainly remember them when a manager has a matter of weeks left. I remember Mane, Henderson off the top of my head. I'll certainly remember this in X amount of years time.

No I was just making shit up about you.

Two can play at that game.

As pointless & immature as it is.

I'll leave it now.

Liverpool can help Arne Slot by selling petulant Mohamed Salah this summer

Ugly row with Jürgen Klopp on the London Stadium touchline shows the Egyptian’s focus has waned

Sun 28 Apr 2024 11.27 BST

When it comes to picking one image to symbolise the end of an era at Liverpool, Jürgen Klopp’s quarrel with Mohamed Salah on the London Stadium touchline will take some beating. This is what happens when power slips away. This, sadly, is the way that it ends.

We will have to speculate about the specific reason behind the row that grabbed the attention after Liverpool’s deflating 2-2 draw with West Ham on Saturday. West Ham’s equaliser had arrived before Klopp, who had been waiting to make a triple substitution, was able to introduce Salah, Darwin Núñez and Joe Gomez. The manager seemed miffed and appeared to admonish Salah, whose angry response made it very clear that he had zero interest in listening to any criticism.

It was quite the scene. Salah clearly did not regard Klopp as a figure of authority. Instead of holding back, the Egyptian had to be held back by two of his teammates. Later, as he made his way out of the stadium and walked past reporters, he declined interview requests and said there would be “fire” if he stopped to speak.

Say no more, Mo. We get it. Klopp had tried to play the incident down during his post-match press conference, but Salah lit the fuse. The Egyptian winger was hardly acting as the model of diplomacy, even if his remark was delivered in a jokey way. Far more preferable would have been Salah providing the same kind of spark on the pitch during a spell that has seen Liverpool’s season go up in smoke.

It was not supposed to go this way when Klopp announced that he was leaving. Liverpool won the League Cup final and targeted a quadruple. But something shifted when they went out of the FA Cup to Manchester United last month. The physical and mental challenge was too much. Defensive flaws were exposed during the Europa League quarter-final defeat to Atalanta, the attack malfunctioned in several winnable games and the title challenged faltered.

Salah, who has been short of sharpness since returning from the Africa Cup of Nations, could not provide the inspiration. He has 24 goals in all competitions this season – hardly a poor return – but there is a sense of a player whose powers are waning. Salah is 32. His contract expires in a year and there are suggestions that he will move to Saudi Arabia this summer. Maybe Klopp’s impending departure allowed Salah to erupt. Or maybe Salah’s impending departure allowed Salah to erupt.

Either way it would be shame if the relationship between two of the greatest figures in Liverpool’s history is broken. Salah has been the standout player of Klopp’s reign, the genius in attack, the driving force behind so many famous wins. But the mind goes back to Mr. Ferguson announcing that the 2001-02 season would be his final year at United. Uncertainty set in, motivation dipped and United lost the title to Arsenal. Ferguson had given his players an excuse to let their standards dip.

Thankfully for United, the Scot ended up staying and oversaw a new era of domination. Klopp, though, is not going to change course. He looks emotionally drained. He sounds as if he cannot wait for the season to end. It has to have an impact on the team. The mentality monsters have disappeared.

There have, of course, been shows of petulance from Salah in the past. None, though, as big as the one on Saturday. None, surely, that would have occurred if Klopp was staying. Nobody who worries about a backlash from their boss behaves like that.

But this is an unfocused team, overseen by a weary, distracted, unhappy manager. If they were on their game, Liverpool would have smashed West Ham after going 2-1 up. Instead their title challenge fizzled out in a blaze of missed chances and shoddy defending.

Salah, of course, is part of the malaise. His goals will not be easy to replace but perhaps it would help Arne Slot, who will soon be confirmed as Klopp’s replacement, if he does not have to worry about managing a player whose ego appears to have spiralled out of control next season.

Not that the rebuild will be easy. Away from Salah, questions also hang over the futures of Virgil van Dijk and Trent Alexander-Arnold. But there is another lesson that Liverpool can take from Ferguson, it is about how to deal with a disrespectful player. One or two individuals aside Ferguson always knew when someone’s race was run. He never let anyone become bigger than the club. Klopp, though, is not in a position to tame Salah.

The fear is gone. It evaporated during this most dispiriting of run-ins. Klopp does not have the stomach for it any more and his best player has smelt weakness. Looking to the future, Liverpool have to help Slot by reintroducing discipline. Klopp goes, but so does Salah.

Guardian article.

Can't help but feel if Salah was English the tone of the above article would be how he was just demonstrating frustration and as a winner and someine who loves his club it was understandable....but more importantly he was showing the passion that is needed and that is lost with Klopp going and how the new manager needs to harness that and use it positively to help new era get off to the start it needs to.

But as Salah is one of those dirty foreign types it is all about petulance and him being bin bagged.....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Having a bad season appearantly, over the hill, need to get rid.

What a load of shite.

Without the injury, he would most likely have had another season with 30 goals.

IMG_0775.jpeg

IMG_0773.jpeg

IMG_0774.jpeg

• Downvote 1

I’m delighted he started. He looked like the Mo of old, like he remembered he could still put a LB on toast if he wanted to and that’s exactly what he did….not been a happy last few games for Emerson. 

Not sure what that miss was about 5 yards out though when Grav himself miskicked it to him.

I swear Salah is judged by different standards than almost every other attacking player we have had in this team in recent history.

Lets take a look at goals scored in the league from some of our attacking players and then I’ll highlight the seasons where they scored more than 19 league goals.

Rush scored 19 league goals four times (never in a 38 game league), Suarez, Owen, Fowler and Aldridge managed it twice.

Salah n the other hand has scored 19 league goals or more, six seasons in a row.  He need one more goal in one of the last two games to make it seven in a row. It’s numbers absolutely unheard of from a winger, its simply out of this World. 

Still we have mentalists on here who want to sell him, such a level of insanity should also be unheard of, but sadly its only to be expected from some of the absolute whoppers on here. 

League goals:

Mane: 13, 10, 22, 18, 11, 16

Firmino: 10, 11, 15, 12, 9, 9, 5, 11

Jota: 9, 15, 7, 10

Nunez: 9, 11

Sturridge: 10, 21, 4, 8, 3, 2, 2

Torres: 24, 14, 18, 9

Crouch: 8, 9, 5

Kuyt: 12, 3, 12, 9, 13, 2

Suarez: 4, 11, 2331

Owen: 1, 18, 18, 11, 16, 19, 19, 16

Heskey: 3, 14, 9, 6, 7

Fowler: 12, 25, 28, 18, 9, 14, 3, 8, 3, 5, 3

Collymore: 14, 12

Rush: 17, 24, 32, 14, 22, 30, 7, 18, 16, 4, 14, 14, 12, 5

Barnes: 15, 8, 22, 16, 1, 5, 3, 7, 3, 4

Aldridge: 2, 26, 21, 1

Salah: 32, 22, 192223, 19, 18

8 hours ago, Binomial said:

I’m delighted he started. He looked like the Mo of old, like he remembered he could still put a LB on toast if he wanted to and that’s exactly what he did….not been a happy last few games for Emerson. 

Not sure what that miss was about 5 yards out though when Grav himself miskicked it to him.

Oh and ideally no Salah.

Your words literally 24 hours ago.

8 hours ago, Binomial said:

It was very strange, Van der Ven also seemed to back out of the situation.

Maybe they thought the whistle had gone or something, difficult to understand the whole situation. 

4 minutes ago, Code said:

It was very strange, Van der Ven also seemed to back out of the situation.

Maybe they thought the whistle had gone or something, difficult to understand the whole situation. 

I think the ball was bouncing and spinning awkwardly and it fooled everyone.

51 minutes ago, Code said:

I swear Salah is judged by different standards than almost every other attacking player we have had in this team in recent history.

Lets take a look at goals scored in the league from some of our attacking players and then I’ll highlight the seasons where they scored more than 19 league goals.

Rush scored 19 league goals four times (never in a 38 game league), Suarez, Owen, Fowler and Aldridge managed it twice.

Salah n the other hand has scored 19 league goals or more, six seasons in a row.  He need one more goal in one of the last two games to make it seven in a row. It’s numbers absolutely unheard of from a winger, its simply out of this World. 

Still we have mentalists on here who want to sell him, such a level of insanity should also be unheard of, but sadly its only to be expected from some of the absolute whoppers on here. 

League goals:

His lowest- scoring season was the year we battered everyone in the league?

12 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

His lowest- scoring season was the year we battered everyone in the league?

Yes, we even got 12 goals from our defenders in the league that season and 21 from midfield. 

IMG_0786.jpeg

1 hour ago, Code said:

League goals:

We have mentalists who would eat the corn from his turds too while just printing endless stats about him without admitting to some awful performances. The truth is somewhere in between.

12 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

We have mentalists who would eat the corn from his turds too while just printing endless stats about him without admitting to some awful performances. The truth is somewhere in between.

It not in between somewhere or something at all, its at the very top of everything ever produced at this club when it comes to goals and assists.

I have given example of 16 other players here now, 98 seasons between them, only 16 times have those 16 players scored 19 goals or more combined in the league.

Salah has scored 19 goals or more in six out of six complete seasons so far, another goal against Villa or Wolves and it will be seven out of seven.

This is simply the best we have ever seen, and he’s not even a striker. Without the two month absence with injury, this would be just another of those 30 goals a season performances from this unique player. 

He is class.

That goal and assist record doesn’t come easy.

The pace is slowing down but I think that twitter compilation of Diaz/Nunez misses shows how creative he still is.

I still want an apology from last week and a Two weeks wages sent to charity, but we are a better team with him.