You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How to hinder your own progress by LFC.

Its annoying because this really does feel like one of the times you should seize the moment,we could capitalize this season but instead once again we decide not too. In my opinion its purposeful they go through the motions of deals to keep fans believing we have ambition and just wait for the clock to tick down and go "ahh well". The same happened in one of Kenny's January windows and last summer was a fucking farce too, nobody is this incompetent. The club just don't want to spend.

I'm hugely disappointed because this year we have a real chance and if we miss it, it not only sets us back but we will probably lose Suarez, we should be showing ambition while he is here and taking advantage of having the best player around. The powers that be at the club lack ambition they just want good revenue streams a manageable wage bill and to use LFC like a savings account for their couple of hundred million keep it nice and safe until its time to cash in. They're no gillet and hicks we are in no danger but I don't want LFC to just make up the numbers either.

I agree with you mate. I think he is a very very talented manager who will only get better. What he has done at this club is simply remarkable in my eyes - and I don't just mean results.

But I am also disappointed with that interview. We are all right behind him and whilst nobody expects him to come out and call 123abc a cunt, to be fed such scripted horse shit is disrespectful and demeaning.

I'd rather he didn't say anything.

What I find funny is that the timing of the interview (only a couple of minutes after the Kono deal collapsed) opens up a couple of possibilities:

1. He actually did two interviews: this, and another one saying what a quality player Kono is and how glad he his to have him at the club, which we'll never get to see.

2. We actually knew we were signing no-one much further back and all the 1am shite was just the club posturing to make it look like they were trying really hard to get a deal done..

What's I find funny is that the timing of the interview (only a couple of minutes after the Kono deal collapsed) opens up a couple of possibilities:

1. He actually did two interviews: this, and another one saying what a quality player Kono is and how glad he his to have him at the club, which we'll never get to see.

2. We actually knew we were signing no-one much further back and all the 1am shite was just the club posturing to make it look like they were trying really hard to get a deal done..

Was thinking the exact same. I'd imagine most people are.

Realistically it has to option 1, they were hedging their bets.

But at the same time I'm not that delusional I'd believe number 2 is completely impossible. Its less likely but definitely not impossible. 

Was thinking the exact same. I'd imagine most people are.

Realistically it has to option 1, they were hedging their bets.

But at the same time I'm not that delusional I'd believe number 2 is completely impossible. Its less likely but definitely not impossible. 

Yep. Either way saying nothing would have been far better.

Can't wait for the John Henry explanation tomorrow about how they fucking REFUSE to be taken for a ride and overpay for targets, 'cos they're just being shrewd businessmen dontchaknow.

If you think about it without emotion here is the plan:

1) Invest nothing

2)  Make champions league = get 50mil

3)  Do not make champions league = get 100 mil from Suarez

Win, win for the heartless bastards.  Businessmen to the bone.  Tell me when we meet up with the pitchforks.

You've nailed it there. It does actually make more short term sense for them. If they are thinking along these lines then you wouldn't be surprised if a sale of the club was to follow. 

Rodgers will go if this carries on. If he manages to steer us to 4th then more ambitious clubs will be circling.

I can't believe that we're 7 points off the top in Jan, in an absolute dogfight for 4th, and the owners haven't supported the team. It defies belief.

Rodgers leaving is my fear also. He surely can't be happy being dicked around like this. And I share your utter disbelief at their refusal to back the manager in the market when we are in such a fantastic position. If we were 2nd and 7 points off the top, you wouldn't write off our chances would you? But that is exactly what these douchers seem to have done.

You've nailed it there. It does actually make more short term sense for them. If they are thinking along these lines then you wouldn't be surprised if a sale of the club was to follow. 

I get your point, and maybe I'm just being naive here, but I feel like the club is a more attractive purchase if Suarez is still on the books. He's genuinely a top 3 player in the world and assuming whoever would be buying us next would actually want to own and operate a successful football club it doesn't make sense to sell him as it would drive the price down if anything especially as we don't have the expanded stadium yet nor obviously a new one.

It really is hard to figure out just where most of the blame lies. On one hand I don't think FSG are as incompetent as our recent dealings might suggest which leads to Ayre and/or the fucking "committee" being the obvious one(s) to blame. On the other hand they're not experienced in the realm of football which is quite obvious by the fact they, at least publicly, keep banging on about FFP which anyone can see is absolute bullshit. Thing is, at the end of the day FSG employ Ayre so if Ayre is the incompetent one then it's up to them to replace him full stop or change his role so he doesn't touch the fucking transfers at all. So as much as I've been in the "wait and see" camp I think FSG have some questions to answer after this shit, they're digging their own grave.*

* - of course if we end up making the CL all will be forgiven provided they buy CL caliber players in the summer and keep Suarez.

I get your point, and maybe I'm just being naive here, but I feel like the club is a more attractive purchase if Suarez is still on the books. He's genuinely a top 3 player in the world and assuming whoever would be buying us next would actually want to own and operate a successful football club it doesn't make sense to sell him as it would drive the price down if anything especially as we don't have the expanded stadium yet nor obviously a new one.

I see what you are saying and it does make sense, but surely Lucho has a clause for us getting CL footy. I really hope he would stay but why would he if he doesn't see his ambitions matched by the owners.

To be a fly on the wall during these negotiations. Ayre was over there for what, three days? If anyone knows the answer to this I would be happy to hear it.

In my head Ayre says, "how about this...?"

They say, "how about...no..."

Then what happens? I can't see this going on for 3 days. Do they take breaks? Agree to watch Bad Boys I and II then renegotiate?

Probably went looking for cheap Harley spares.

It's two issues for me...

Firstly, I suppose the first thing to say is we've spent a fair bit under FSG and latterly Rodgers and his committee - around £95m. That's not loads, but a fairly substantial amount. If we'd spent more of it well, we wouldn't be in this position.

No point in going through it transfer by transfer, not least because it's hard to say if many of the buys will work out or not (such as Sakho), but just take Illori, Alberto and Aspas. £20m on those three and not one will make a significant impact in PL footy this season. One or two of them may well be a decent player one day, but right now you've got to look at that business and say it was fucking dreadful. So in a sense, we've got to blame ourselves for this.

Happily, it does appear FSG were willing to invest this window. Which leads me to the second issue. Our complete inability to complete transfers. I know we're not privy to what goes on behind the scenes, but there's a clear pattern emerging of us basically fucking up every transfer we go in for. It may well be the case that yesterday there was nothing more we could do, but regardless a pattern is emerging.

Again, I don't know who to blame - no idea if Ayre really is incompetent, if FSG won't go a penny over what they believe a player is worth, or both. But either way it is not working and as with anything that doesn't work - we need to change it. Otherwise we'll keep getting done in exactly the same way.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

With 57 goals in 23 games, Liverpool currently enjoy the eighth highest scoring ratio in English football since World War II.

So cheer the fuck up you drama queens

I think that's why everyone is so frustrated. We are in a fantastic position to push on. Getting back into the champions league is a massive step for the club. It will benefit us both on and off the pitch in terms of revenue and attracting top players. We had a whole month to bring in players to consolidate our place in the top 4. To not do so is criminal, and could genuinely set us back years. I don't think it's dramatic to make such a claim, particularly when you look at how paper thin our squad is. Our position is precarious to say the least.

Not that arsed if I'm honest. I don't think he would have made that much of a difference.

It's more about the continued pattern of our business, and sacrificing the first team, to promote an image of a club who won't negotiate.

Then as soon as they fuck up, they release pravda shit from the manager saying how great everything is, and oh look, we beat Everton.

It's debatable whether an attacking player is a priority at the moment. Most people see a defensive midfielder and a left back as priority right now. Regardless, they're just opinions. What I don't think is up for debate is our need to strengthen, like right now. The consequences of not doing so could be disastrous.