You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Goodbye Downing...

WhiskeyJar

are they buying any replacement?

£0 net spent will be -something withn this move completes. FSG has actually made a profit so far.

We are never buying any players ever again. We're growing our own. We have petri dishes full of stem cells from Suarez's rectal pipe. And the lab is being run and managed by Americans. It's actually not a lab as such, it's a corridor outside the lab. The lab is full of dishes containing stem cells of baseball players.

Ibe is twice the player Downing is.

You can't and shouldn't be relying on 17 year old kids. All this trimming of the wage bill is great but only if some or most of the money is reinvested in better players. No one is going to finish top four by making their squad weaker.

As it stands we're no better off than last season, you could even make an argument for worse off tbh. Especially considering the Suarez situation.

Three weeks to sign at least three players, or this window will be yet another total failure. Brendan keeps talking about the quality we're going after, well lets see it. If he's let down by upper management again, he's got no one to blame but himself. He should have learned from last years shambles when we wrote off a season due to such a poor window.

I hope someone is lined up properly this time but fear we've took the same risks as last year.

Not shedding any tears but it's a bit too convenient to scapegoat Downing for the overall mediocrity of the team.

What I don't understand is why Rodgers stuck with incessantly, basically excising Assaidi from the team, and then end up selling him for peanuts. Seems like more of the ad hocism style of managing that has afflicted us of late.

So, who's going to be the number one whipping boy and public enemy of the Lfc squad now, with Downing gone? Are we back to Henderson or even Lucas? Does any of the new players, say Luis Alberto, have the potential to withdraw from a tackle in an early game, and therfore be branded 'useless' by the worlds best fans? My money is on Allen, with Borini as a close second. The fantastic supporters with hatred for the manager will secure the victory, no doubt.

You can't and shouldn't be relying on 17 year old kids. All this trimming of the wage bill is great but only if some or most of the money is reinvested in better players. No one is going to finish top four by making their squad weaker.

As it stands we're no better off than last season, you could even make an argument for worse off tbh. Especially considering the Suarez situation.

Three weeks to sign at least three players, or this window will be yet another total failure. Brendan keeps talking about the quality we're going after, well lets see it. If he's let down by upper management again, he's got no one to blame but himself. He should have learned from last years shambles when we wrote off a season due to such a poor window.

I hope someone is lined up properly this time but fear we've took the same risks as last year.

Agree with this, I don't like the way this window is shaping up, If we were to start the campaign as is then I can see yet another season in the wilderness, we desperately need quality additions but nothing seems to be happening. I'm starting to get very worried I have to admit.

So, who's going to be the number one whipping boy and public enemy of the Lfc squad now, with Downing gone? Are we back to Henderson or even Lucas? Does any of the new players, say Luis Alberto, have the potential to withdraw from a tackle in an early game, and therfore be branded 'useless' by the worlds best fans? My money is on Allen, with Borini as a close second. The fantastic supporters with hatred for the manager will secure the victory, no doubt.

I reckon Borini will have that sewn up very quickly.

I think Ibe or Sterling would provide more than him this coming season.

But both are still very raw and could potentially suffer from all the problems young players chucked in at the deep end often do.

Would be a risky move to rely on them. But I wouldn't necessarily think it'd be doomed to failure. Just that it'd be unlikely to succeed.

I think Ibe or Sterling would provide more than him this coming season.

But both are still very raw and could potentially suffer from all the problems young players chucked in at the deep end often do.

Would be a risky move to rely on them. But I wouldn't necessarily think it'd be doomed to failure. Just that it'd be unlikely to succeed.

That's the most important thing with those two. They may well offer more than Downing. They're 17/18 year old kids that aren't fully developed. Especially with their games based on pace, chance of injury and burn out is high. We don't want their careers to be over before they hit what should be their prime.

They need to be managed carefully. They can still see a lot of time on the pitch this season and offer us a lot but we should have the option to take them out as and when is needed.

I'm still hopeful we'll get this left forward Brendan is talking about.

Trim and reinvest, absolutely. If the Yanks dare do otherwise, we'll all be on their backs, sooner than they realise and they know it. I expect three in.

Speaking of Borini, I think he's another one we should get rid of while we're at it, if we get a buyer that is. I just don't see him making it at Liverpool. Overanxious and light weight, not one made for the League.

Squawka Football ‏@Squawka 5h

Stewart Downing created the most chances during the second half of last season (49) for Liverpool, more than S.Gerrard (43) & L.Suarez (39).

WhoScored.com ‏@WhoScored 4h

Stewart Downing: Since joining, Liverpool have won 43.4% of their PL games with Downing starting, compared to 30.4% without him

• Upvote 1