You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thatcher.

thompsonsnose

Reading FC ‏@ReadingFC 8m

Before Saturday's game with Liverpool, fans of both clubs will hold a minute's silence for 24th anniversary of Hillsborough disaster @LFC

Why do i have a bad feeling that they will tag something else on this silence

Maybe he would salute her courage, strength and indefatigability.

Did Thatcher used to salute the courage strength and indefatigability of Pol Pot, Pinochet and any other dictator she cosied up to when she was PM?

Or when she spent over a billion quid keepin Saddam in power?

Edited by Stickman

Before Saturday's game with Liverpool, fans of both clubs will hold a minute's silence for 24th anniversary of Hillsborough disaster @LFC

It would be an enormous error if they did.

I would really hope not.

It would be an enormous error if they did.

I would really hope not.

They establishment wont allow it to happen as they won't want the whole of the country/world to know how universally hated she was in certain parts of the country.

And even sky couldn't cover that up.

England 1980

_66807003_a-512_thatcher_pa80-keegan-.jpg

Left to Right: Kevin Keegan (ex Liverpool), Terry McDermott (Liverpool), Margaret Thatcher (Finchley), Phil Thompson (Liverpool), Emlyn Hughes (Liverpool)

Of no relevance whatsoever other than to stir the shit pot that little bit more. Your arm must be irreversibly stained with the about of faeces you whisk.

Footballers on England duty in photo with Prime Minister shock. Some Liverpool greats vote Tory too, shock horror. Some probably did it in the eighties also.

I know people in Liverpool who voted for her, even in places like Kensington.

Let us all take time out to thank former Man U player, and intellectual pygmy, Paul Parker, for gracing us with his thoughts on why football should hold a minute's silence for Mrs Thatch.

The gist of his argument appears to be that Mrs Thatch allowed Mom & Pop Parker to buy their own house. While I am pleased for Paul's folks, as no doubt we all are, he appears to ignore all of the people who lost their industry, jobs, homes, communities, often families and sometimes their lives. Note how Paul feels that, unlike his mum and dad's gain, others losses would constitute unnecessarily bringing politics into the argument. Indeed, so trivial are these events in Parkerworld that he cannot bring himself to use the word bad, instead referring to them as not-so-good.

Then again, perhaps he doesnt know the word bad exists.

Margaret Thatcher deserves a minute’s silence | Paul Parker - Yahoo! Eurosport UK

Being a black footballer in the 1980s amid the era of Margaret Thatcher's rule was very difficult. Having to travel north and play was very difficult because of the abuse you got. The football at the time was British and very physical. It was all about being very fit.Training was all about cross-country running and pumping weights; things that are probably viewed as wrong now.Football was all about blood, sweat and tears. If you went down injured back then and rolled around on the ground, your manager would slaughter you.If you went down with a broken leg, the coaching staff would go easy on you. But if you went down with cramp your were seen as a wimp. Football back then was a proper man's game.

Personally, I don't see why football shouldn't pay respect to Thatcher. She should be given a minute's silence at football grounds because without Margaret Thatcher my mum and dad would have never been able to buy a house.My parents have now been in that house 44 years. There are a lot of other good things she did, while she did many not-so-good things in people's eyes.At the end of the day, she was the Primer Minister of Great Britain so there should be a minute's silence as far as I'm concerned.You don't really want to go too deep into religion or politics because some people get very upset about her. But she allowed six of us to move into a two-bedroom house and reinvest in it. Before, it was just a case of paying out rent.During Thatcher's era, English clubs were banned from Europe due to hooliganism. During my first season in the top flight, I played for QPR and we 'qualified' for Europe. But we weren't allowed to play in it.I never got the opportunity to play in European club football until I joined Manchester United. I represented my country without playing any European club football.A lot of players missed out at that time, but it didn't have too much effect as we were still reasonably strong as club sides.England had their second best side in history reaching the semi-finals of Italia 1990 and that was on the back of having no clubs in Europe.It wasn't that bad from a football perspective, but Thatcher didn't want the hooligans travelling abroad attaching themselves to football so she supported the ban.She made a point of saying you won't go abroad to ruin the good name of Great Britain. It is as simple as that.I think she is somebody who is there to have a go at in modern society. She is someone to blame. It is very easy to blame folk. People have grown up hating her. And they still hate her now.But I certainly don't hate her. I have to respect her even though it was tough as a black man playing during her time as PM.My worst time suffering racism was in the 1980s when I playing for Fulham in Yorkshire. That was the worst county in the world for it. And particularly playing in front of Leeds United fans.I remember fouling Eddie Gray during a match at Leeds and the whole ground began singing to me..."there is no black in the Union Jack" or sentiment to that effect.Burnley were just as bad. They had a bloke called Winston White who was black yet I was singled out for racist abuse and the same with Terry Connor, who was Leeds born and bred, but a black man. And I received terrible abuse.That was what football was like when you stepped outside of London. It was hard work when you went past the Watford Gap. It was very, very difficult.A lot of the racism that has reared its head this season is all down to the FA not having the balls to deal with John Terry. That has enabled people to jump on the bandwagon and offer ill-formed views and opinions.You had to be mentally strong back then. You couldn't get emotional about it. You did feel water building in your eyes when you stepped out to play , but you had to give yourself a slap in the face and think hold on a minute: "These people have paid money to abuse me!"Why not go to a shopping centre or on a roadside and racially abuse a black person? They wouldn't do that, but they were safe to do it in a crowd.Racism is hidden in the Premier League today, but you can't get away from it in the non-league grounds. It is only going to change through the generations. It has improved, but has not yet gone from Thatcher's era in government.

Some of the Thatcher stuff is nausiating. We actually live in a country that thoroughly, and utterly, embraces Thatcherism in virtually every single sphere, from the political monoculture, to the obsession with having a mortgage and brand new car, to spending the weekend down the Trafford Centre, to moaning about strikers and chavs. Let me just Tweet some Thatcher jokes on my tab while avoiding the gaze of strangers on the train. Soundbite hate, 110% bullshit.

Having a mortgage and a new car is where consumerism meets capitalism meets the Jonses. It has nowt to do with Margaret fucking Thatcher!

No? How come nobody in Europe or the States gives two shites about owning a house then?

Over here if you don't own one you're shite, that's Thatcher's legacy palin and simple.

What do you know anyway? You're from New Zealand.

No? How come nobody in Europe or the States gives two shites about owning a house then?

Over here if you don't own one you're shite, that's Thatcher's legacy palin and simple.

What do you know anyway? You're from New Zealand.

Don't agree. But I don't care enough to argue the toss.

We can agree that Thatcher was a massive cunt, though.

As are her acolytes, Cameron and Osborne.

Don't agree. But I don't care enough to argue the toss.

We can agree that Thatcher was a massive cunt, though.

As are her acolytes, Cameron and Osborne.

In the grand scheme of things I think Blair did the most to perpetuate her legacy. Incredible really when you think about it.

In the grand scheme of things I think Blair did the most to perpetuate her legacy. Incredible really when you think about it.

Maybe. Although I think that has become/is becoming somewhat of a cliche. (New) Labour, for their obvious faults, achieved a lot for a lot of less privileged folk. Now Cameron and Osborne are going at long way to widening the class divide beyond repair. Finishing the job Thatcher started. Cunts, the three of them.

Let us all take time out to thank former Man U player, and intellectual pygmy, Paul Parker, for gracing us with his thoughts on why football should hold a minute's silence for Mrs Thatch.

The gist of his argument appears to be that Mrs Thatch allowed Mom & Pop Parker to buy their own house. While I am pleased for Paul's folks, as no doubt we all are, he appears to ignore all of the people who lost their industry, jobs, homes, communities, often families and sometimes their lives. Note how Paul feels that, unlike his mum and dad's gain, others losses would constitute unnecessarily bringing politics into the argument. Indeed, so trivial are these events in Parkerworld that he cannot bring himself to use the word bad, instead referring to them as not-so-good.

Then again, perhaps he doesnt know the word bad exists.

Margaret Thatcher deserves a minute’s silence | Paul Parker - Yahoo! Eurosport UK

Fuck me, he's terminally confused that Parker lad. His whole gist seems to be "I encountered a lot of racism when I played football, so we should have a minutes silence for thatcher". What the fuck has that got do with it? A flawed article in full.

That article is almost as big a failure as when he was matched up against Romario when Utd played Barca in '94.

Fuck me, he's terminally confused that Parker lad. His whole gist seems to be "I encountered a lot of racism when I played football, so we should have a minutes silence for thatcher". What the fuck has that got do with it? A flawed article in full.

That article is almost as big a failure as when he was matched up against Romario when Utd played Barca in '94.

He was never the same after his split from Roger DeCorsey.

[YOUTUBE]ECTvLq1DvWU[/YOUTUBE]

Because of this maybe? BBC Sport - Margaret Thatcher: Football chairmen call for minute's silence

Will definitely get ugly if they do.

Some of the Thatcher stuff is nausiating. We actually live in a country that thoroughly, and utterly, embraces Thatcherism in virtually every single sphere, from the political monoculture, to the obsession with having a mortgage and brand new car, to spending the weekend down the Trafford Centre, to moaning about strikers and chavs. Let me just Tweet some Thatcher jokes on my tab while avoiding the gaze of strangers on the train. Soundbite hate, 110% bullshit.

This is spot on.

However, I'm not going to pretend I know how things might have panned out if she hadn't been around.... might have been better, might have been worse. But without doubt, there are countless 'loathers' of Thatcher of who are merrily supporting many of her views, under the guise of 'New Labour'. I can't tell you the number of times all political parties like to use the 'choice' soundbite (when in fact it's the choice of a shit sandwich, or turd sausage). That was one of Thatcher's master strokes.... giving people 'choice'. Only she forgot to mention you had to BUY your right to choose. 'Success' was your material worth. Not your moral values. And that remains today. Everybody HAS to go to Uni, or be deemed a failure. Everbody has to manage, or just be a 'lowly worker'.

We used to have miners working in pretty poor conditions, and factory workers suffering industrial diseases, but now... some kids don't even want to mop a floor, or deliver a pizza because it's 'beneath them'.

We're a nation obsessed with consumerism and status.