You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

Our fucking level..........

We are one of the biggest clubs in World football, We sell millions in Merchandise worldwide. We have one of the biggest followings in World Football. We give Managers funds to buy and develop their squads and pay them handsomely for it.

Who are we...... We're not bloody Stoke.

Exactly. We're in the top dozen clubs in the world in terms of support, wealth, turnover, wages , history....A sleeping giant who should be attractive to nearly every manager out there.

Exactly. We're in the top dozen clubs in the world in terms of support, wealth, turnover, wages , history....A sleeping giant who should be attractive to nearly every manager out there.

I'd go along with that but I would say we have a bit of a case with the owners ,they want to shop and run us say like poundland and I'd say we as fans want to be at least shopping at marks and sparks.Fair enough spend what you earn but every now and again you need to broaden your horizons , get top notch staff in for a world wide organization, would Barclays bank head hunt Ian ayre think not

We are one of the biggest clubs in World football, We sell millions in Merchandise worldwide. We have one of the biggest followings in World Football. We give Managers funds to buy and develop their squads and pay them handsomely for it.

As a fan, I agree.

But from an elite manager's perspective, we have not won the league for a quarter of a century, have been irregular CL qualifiers recently and even then endured abject campaigns the last two times out.

Our current league performance and squad does not suggest that is going to change quickly.

Simeone took over Atletico half way through he season when they were well in the bottom half and he won them the UEFA Cup. Then he won the league. it's not really sensible to talk him down, is it?

Im not talking him down Ive said hes a very good manager but I dont think hes a guarentee of success as many are making out,yes he had a massive achievement with the league but Ive seen better and similar achievements.

Ramos won two uefa cups in a row, AVB a treble at Porto, and managers like Klopp, Rafa and Capello have better cvs and would be available if we went all out to get them which is what we would have to do for Simeone.

Our fucking level..........

Who are we...... We're not bloody Stoke.

The world's elite clubs will be courting simeone.

We are no longer at that level anymore

Really.

How many Non Elite clubs sell out over 100,000 seats at the MCG for a friendly.

The people running the office might run down the ambition of the club, but this is still a big draw for many managers.

Didnt Louis Van Gaal not want the job a few years ago.

I'd go along with that but I would say we have a bit of a case with the owners ,they want to shop and run us say like poundland and I'd say we as fans want to be at least shopping at marks and sparks.Fair enough spend what you earn but every now and again you need to broaden your horizons , get top notch staff in for a world wide organization, would Barclays bank head hunt Ian ayre think not

That's exactly the problem. FSG penny-pinch on the top appointments so we end up with the second-rate or gamble on someone who might come good with a bit of luck.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately attracting a top manager is about more than those things. It's also about how much they'll get to spend on players, and how much control they'll have over who they sign. Simeone and other managers at his level are likely to get better offers from elsewhere on both counts.

Really.

How many Non Elite clubs sell out over 100,000 seats at the MCG for a friendly.

The people running the office might run down the ambition of the club, but this is still a big draw for many managers.

Didnt Louis Van Gaal not want the job a few years ago.

That was before the transfer committee was set up. If he'd been able to foresee how it would work and what restrictions the manager would have to work under, I suspect he might not have been so interested.

Would any of the top 10 club managers in the world take the job if approached based on the current method of operation?

If the answer is yes, then we could still claim to be a top 10 club of world standing. If the answer is no......

What if the answer is "I have no way of knowing the answer to that question without hearing it from the club managers themselves"?

Im not talking him down Ive said hes a very good manager but I dont think hes a guarentee of success as many are making out,yes he had a massive achievement with the league but Ive seen better and similar achievements.

Ramos won two uefa cups in a row, AVB a treble at Porto, and managers like Klopp, Rafa and Capello have better cvs and would be available if we went all out to get them which is what we would have to do for Simeone.

AVB won the fake treble, a weak portuguese league, a weak domestic cup and the UEFA with the strongest team Porto ever had. Klopp has took a team from nothing and won Bundesliga's and got to Champions league finals on the back of his sides being pilfered season after season.

Rafa is the best example of someone similar to Simeone. Rafa's Valencia of 2001-2004 were similar to the Atletico of today. Not many star players but the team functioned flawlessly as a whole. Of course you have Koke and Gabi with Godin who is a genius at the back. But it's like Baraja and Albelda with Ayala behind them. Both had the creative outlet Costa was the main man last year for Atletico as Aimar was back in the day for Valencia but the core is a hard working well organised team that doesn't concede many goals.

• Upvote 1

We are an elite club with owners who still have no clue how to maximize it. With enough cash they could attract pretty much any player or manager to the club. We're at the level we're at precisely because that is where FSG is comfortable.

• Upvote 1

Is "world standing" really dictated entirely by the current model imposed by whoever the owners are?

If someone took over Real Madrid tomorrow and decided that they were going to have a 20k euro wage cap would they become a small club?

How utterly absurd, and overly simplistic. As much as business has sullied the sport with it's grubby hands we're not quite comparing supermarkets just yet.

Two different things being discussed here.

Are we one of the world's biggest, most prestigious clubs with the potential to be among the best in the world? Yes.

Are we, in our current situation and under our current ownership, likely to attract the best managers in the world? No.

Are we one of the world's biggest, most prestigious clubs with the potential to be among the best in the world? Yes.

Are we, in our current situation and under our current ownership, likely to attract the best managers in the world? No.

Pretty much spot on. 

I don't see how that can be disputed.

One further point I would make is that I think we're actually one level below the very top these days, mainly because of finance.

As far as i'm concerned Man City, Chelsea, Bayern, Real Madrid, Barcelona and possibly Man Utd are in one group.

We are a leading player in the next group (i'd say alongside Arsenal although they have potential to move into the upper group depending on how much of the stadium they've paid off).

I don't think it's a clear cut no at all.

It depends on who you class as the best managers in the world, compromises would have to made as well but i don't see why we couldn't get Benitez or Klopp to come, the only ones out of reach are the real cream of the crop like Guardiola, Mourinho, Ancelotti and likely Simeone.

Chelsea, United, Bayern, Madrid arn't going to be looking for a new manager any time soon, Barca and City probably won't either, Arsenal maybe but probably not in the end when they get 4th again, that helps us and gives us options, it all depends on how serious FSG are really.