You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football

Jhinge Machha

• Replies 49k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jairzinho

• magicrat

• Russ Atmosphere

• Dr Nowt

Wenger is too far gone to listen judging by this.

Wenger hits out at ref’s ‘spirit’ as 10-man Arsenal start with Villa slump - Arsenal - Hampstead and Highgate Express

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger believes there were some “deep” problems with the decisions of referee Anthony Taylor as his side crashed to a 3-1 defeat at home to Aston Villa on the opening day of the new Premier League season.

Wenger, who has so far failed to land any major summer transfer targets, saw his side racing into an early lead through Olivier Giroud.

However, Villa - who spent much of last season battling against relegation - hit back when Christian Benteke equalised from a penalty rebound.

In what proved to be the defining moment of the match, the visitors were awarded a controversial penalty on the hour when Laurent Koscielny looked to have won the ball in his challenge with Gabriel Agbonlahor, before Benteke netted from the spot.

The France defender, booked for his challenge, was then soon shown a second yellow by Taylor for clattering into Andreas Weimann

Arsenal - who face a crucial Champions League play-off first leg away to Fenerbahce on Wednesday - rallied with 10 men, but were not able to break down a determined Villa defence, as goalkeeper Brad Guzan made a couple of smart saves.

New signing Antonio Luna added a late third for the visitors - before unhappy chants of “spend some money” rang out from the home support at full-time.

Wenger, though, was left perplexed by the whole series of events in a match which was also notable for featuring the first use of the Premier League’s new goal decision system (GDS) when a 52nd-minute effort from Villa midfielder Fabian Delph struck the inside of the right-hand post and rolled across the line.

“I didn’t like his performance, but more than his performance I didn’t like his spirit of how he refereed the game,” Wenger said of Taylor.

“I didn’t like the fact the way the game was refereed and this is a deeper question that just one decision.

“I don’t like to lie, I didn’t like what he did.

“The linesman said he to me he did not give the penalty and he was at the level of the tackle, so why does the referee who did not give the penalty straight away suddenly give the penalty? That is what is amazing to me.

“I would understand if the linesman said it was a penalty, but you have to live with that and just because you get these decisions given against you that doesn’t mean you should go on to lose the game.”

The Arsenal manager added: “Not only did we lose the game, we had many kicks, many injuries. We have some problems for some people to recover for Wednesday night.”

Wenger felt his team had once again played out their opening fixture in a negative atmosphere because of criticism over the club’s lack of moves in the transfer market, having failed to secure the signatures of both Gonzalo Higuain and Luis Suarez.

“You got what you wanted, you should be happy,” Wenger said to reporters in his post-match press conference. “Before the start the season that was all you write in the papers so what do you expect?”

Wenger, though, insisted today’s defeat was not down to a lack of summer investment.

“Could we have won the game with the players we had on the pitch? I say yes,” he continued.

“If we don’t spend the money, it is because we don’t find the players.

“I am not the only one to work on that, we are a team that works on that and we are ready to buy the players if we find the players good enough for us.

“My job is to make the fans happy, but we haven’t lost a game because of that [not spending].

“We take our work seriously and we analyse every player in the world and spend 24 hours a day doing that.

“We are ready to spend, but until we buy players we have to win football games and it is not an excuse not to win the game today.”

Some Southampton fan was on 606 earlier complaining about our game being on TV first because we're a now mid table club and they'll be striding past us this year.

He wasn't taking the piss either, he actually believed what he was saying.

Just goes to show how fucking thick and clueless people can be, it continues to amaze me when i hear comments like that how delusional some people are, who are people like that trying to kid?

On the other hand i know lots of Saints fans and overall they are a good bunch just happy to be back in the PL again, they would be delighted with a 9th/10th place finish but many of them would take 17th right now, they will do better than that though, 11th-13th i reckon.

Oxlade-Chamberlain, Sagna and Gibbs all likely to miss the Champions league qualifier on wednesday.

They named Frimpong and a lad from the youth team on the bench yesterday as they as so short of players already.

This is potential hilarity. Please Dirk, get a hatrick laa

Oxlade-Chamberlain, Sagna and Gibbs all likely to miss the Champions league qualifier on wednesday.

They named Frimpong and a lad from the youth team on the bench yesterday as they as so short of players already.

This is potential hilarity. Please Dirk, get a hatrick laa

They are seriously short of players.

Anyone else watching Ajax v Feyenoord? Brilliant game so far and Feyenoord scored early on through Graziano Pellé.

Btw, to my big surprise I noticed that half the Ajax squad contained Nordic players. Six Danish, and one each from Finland, Iceland and Sweden. Only six Dutch players, with just three of them starting the game. Quite shocking for a club that has produced so many quality players for their national team. In comparison Feyenoord has ten Dutch players in their starting lineup and three on the bench.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Yeah, I'm watching. It's good match so far, mate. I'm trying to get some work done. Written about 40 words so far. Fucking football.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I hate how good Soldado is going to be for Tottenham.

He's fucking shit. He's going to be shit for Spurs. He's going to score precisely 0 goals.