You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

He might be a sound lad offline, but his online persona is WUM that loves to back-up his arguments with useless stats just to prove is own agenda driven points.

Is there any point with discussing with him anymore?

I was joking, mate. I've no idea what he's like offline, and couldn't care less. It just seems to be the defence of him being an utter fucking helmet on every single thread.

Society is a nosey bastard and cant help but jangle about everything. If you say something enough it becomes fact.

You, me, the majority of the world bar a very small percentage actually knows what is really going on.

Throw in Sky, the media ans its majority of hatchet journalism, sky high ticket prices, shutting out the working class man out and not really giving a fuck by the FA and the demand to know what is going on rapidly increases.

Our situation has the added paranoia of the Hicks and Gillett era. This club's fanbase has beem scarred due to the expected split into opinions and expectations of how things should be done. And pretty much the majority of use are not qualified to make any important decision in relation to the club.

I have been surprised and pleased with our close season activity. We appear to be doing what we have needed for years. Get the players in on the quiet and in fast (as fast as will be allowed of course) and have them there at the start of pre-season. It can only put it us in good stead for the start. I personally want all our targets in by the end of July. Then spend the remainder getting rid of players we dont want or are tempted to leave.

With Suarez and Reina, I don't think they are looking to leave the club with intent. I think they just see an opportunity to play for another prestigous club like ourselves. I also think they are professional enough to accept that if it doesn't happen thia summer, then maybe next summer. They will still be committed to the cause. I don't see any problem with that myself.

Strip away all that gossip and thirst for information, it has been positive forward movement by the club.

A good post in full.

Realistically, an EL spot is attainable next season, and we appear to be moving towards that.

Reina is not the difference between the EL and also rans, Suarez can be, but if he does go I am confident that hs goals can be replaced by others brought in with the proceeds.

(Windfall growth in TV deals ( and improved commercial deals) are profit)No they aren't, they are income.They only become profit if it's not spent... which remains to be seen.

How you spend money does not define profit, what does is how it was obtained.

The TV and commercial increased revenues required no expenditure on our part, therefore they are profit.

I hope that helps.

The best definition of profit is the surplus income after expenditure. Windfall income will affect the top line and the bottom line but isn't necessarily profit. It might just reduce a loss.

My point was that an attraction of buying LFC for NESV/FSG was the prospect of windfall income growth wide of investment.

The growth in TV and commercial income subsequently has vindicated that view. It grew with no investment- therefore it is pure profit.

How you spend money does not define profit, what does is how it was obtained.

The TV and commercial increased revenues required no expenditure on our part, therefore they are profit.

I hope that helps.

Actually - you aren't right either. ( I am a CA) I suspect that the accounting for sports clubs may differ a bit from business, but here goes -

Revenues = income from all sources such as marketing ticketing , and TV and commercial as above.

Variable Expenses = expenses associated with games such as staff provided for security at games, players salaries etc.

There may be another line for the profit or loss on players sold after amortization of their acquisition cost over the life of the contract.

The net of all of this is merely gross profit, or profit margin. There are still the costs of being LFC to account for = overheads such as office salaries and the tea lady - any of those costs incurred not directly attibutable, or affected by operations per se.

The bottom line after all that is profit or loss.

so the fact that there are no costs associated with TV revenues leads to all or maybe mostly all, of the net going to gross margin, or gross profit, not net.

It might flow all the way through, my guess is that there are still some additional costs associated with the revenues, although minimal as you have said - so you are right on the effecf, but wrong on definition.

Sorry if I am being pedantic, but I think there is a lot of misunderstanding out there of the basics, and therefore comments on whether we made or lost money on players, for example, are in error.

so the fact that there are no costs associated with TV revenues leads to all or maybe mostly all, of the net going to gross margin, or gross profit, not net.

It might flow all the way through, my guess is that there are still some additional costs associated with the revenues, although minimal as you have said - so you are right on the effect, but wrong on definition.

Sorry if I am being pedantic, but I think there is a lot of misunderstanding out there of the basics, and therefore comments on whether we made or lost money on players, for example, are in error.

Clearly income is just that, profit is what is left after costs/expenses.

My point was, and remains, that NESV/FSG bought us hoping to benefit from PL income growth wide of club investment- and the TV deal inparticular has offered just that.

I don't mind you being pedantic. But income which carries no cost ( enhanced TV deals) becomes profit as there are no deductions, hence my claim that the windfall income from it was (amounted to) profit.

Clearly income is just that, profit is what is left after costs/expenses.

My point was, and remains, that NESV/FSG bought us hoping to benefit from PL income growth wide of club investment- and the TV deal inparticular has offered just that.

I don't mind you being pedantic. But income which carries no cost ( enhanced TV deals) becomes profit as there are no deductions, hence my claim that the windfall income from it was (amounted to) profit.

well - in that case you can say that it drops to the bottom line - however there may or may not be any profit - what if there was a huge loss otherwise, and the "windfall" only partially offsets it? that was my point, a windfall does not mean there was profit overall.

If I was the owners, I would be looking forward to that TV money as well - revenue is the lifeblood of all business and adding sources cannot be a bad thing. The numbers being bandied about lately for the upcoming season are mind boggling. I hope FSG is happy - and reinvests based on that happiness with their investment.

Guest San Don
Actually - you aren't right either. ( I am a CA) I suspect that the accounting for sports clubs may differ a bit from business, but here goes -

Revenues = income from all sources such as marketing ticketing , and TV and commercial as above.

Variable Expenses = expenses associated with games such as staff provided for security at games, players salaries etc.

There may be another line for the profit or loss on players sold after amortization of their acquisition cost over the life of the contract.

The net of all of this is merely gross profit, or profit margin. There are still the costs of being LFC to account for = overheads such as office salaries and the tea lady - any of those costs incurred not directly attibutable, or affected by operations per se.

It might flow all the way through, my guess is that there are still some additional costs associated with the revenues, although minimal as you have said - so you are right on the effecf, but wrong on definition.

Xerxes handed his arse on a gold plated platter this time!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Numero Veinticinco

I think FSG, and even Ayre, have done a pretty solid job since the last transfer day of last season. The transfer committee seems to have helped make us look like at least a semi-competent club when it comes to buying players, which is a stark contrast to the last decade or so. They've kept very quiet, whilst still doing work on the Stadium behind the scenes, and they seem to have learned lessons from the few bad errors of judgement they made.

This summer we seem to be doing what most of us have wanted for about ten years, which is to identify and research the players we need and then go for our targets early and with as little fuss as the possible, even in tricky deals like Aspas and Mkhitaryan. We're buying before we sell, and we seem to be spending quite a few quid in a genuine attempt to build on last season's good final half season.

Can't really ask for too much more.

I think FSG, and even Ayre, have done a pretty solid job since the last transfer day of last season. The transfer committee seems to have helped make us look like at least a semi-competent club when it comes to buying players, which is a stark contrast to the last decade or so. They've kept very quiet, whilst still doing work on the Stadium behind the scenes, and they seem to have learned lessons from the few bad errors of judgement they made.

This summer we seem to be doing what most of us have wanted for about ten years, which is to identify and research the players we need and then go for our targets early and with as little fuss as the possible, even in tricky deals like Aspas and Mkhitaryan. We're buying before we sell, and we seem to be spending quite a few quid in a genuine attempt to build on last season's good final half season.

Can't have that kind of talk here!

Guest San Don

As I've said before, Im pretty pragmatic when it comes to the owners and ayre. Only serial moaners like xerxes continually look for negatives.

Sure, they have made some cock ups but on the whole, the club is probably being run better than at any time since the late 80's. Peter Robinson was great in his time but, the last 4 or 5 years of that, even he failed to move with the times and made mistakes.

The club is broadly spending what it earns which, is what the vast majority of fans wanted. The stadium development looks to be decided and is probably closer to fruition that many of us know.

The football landscape has changed significantly with the mega rich owners treating their club as a personal plaything. Getting this club, any club, into a position where it can regularly challenge for the title is no easy task.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
As I've said before, Im pretty pragmatic when it comes to the owners and ayre. Only serial moaners like xerxes continually look for negatives.

Sure, they have made some cock ups but on the whole, the club is probably being run better than at any time since the late 80's. Peter Robinson was great in his time but, the last 4 or 5 years of that, even he failed to move with the times and made mistakes.

The club is broadly spending what it earns which, is what the vast majority of fans wanted. The stadium development looks to be decided and is probably closer to fruition that many of us know.

The football landscape has changed significantly with the mega rich owners treating their club as a personal plaything. Getting this club, any club, into a position where it can regularly challenge for the title is no easy task.

Yep, we've got to have the patience to build now. I think Ayre was right when he spoke about revenue streams a while back. He mentioned that most of our operations are very handy, but the hike in matchday revenue and CL income would massively boost our fortunes. If we get the windfall from CL and steady income increase from match day income, we'll be able to go toe to toe with almost anybody.

Actually, it's probably fair to say we're going toe to toe with most clubs at the moment. I read the other day that since we finished a few points behind United in 2009, we've outspent them both net and gross, spending 200m. We've spent enough cash to compete. If we start getting it right more often, we'll be a force again. No doubt about it. We've had some hard times of late - relatively speaking - but good times are around the corner if we buy the right players, which we seem to be improving at doing. No need for much of the doom and gloom from some of our fans.

Guest San Don
I haven't been following the stadium thing in recent months.

What's going to happen? Renovate or move/build?

The club and council are pushing ahead with the redevelopment of Anfield option. This will entail a re build of the ARE and Main Stand to bring the capacity up to 60k.

Much to xerxes' chagrin, no formal plans are in the public domain yet (doesnt necessarily mean outline drawings dont exist though) as there are a small number of properties that remain to be bought.

The new build on Stanley Park is all but dead by the sound of things.

I think FSG' date=' and even Ayre, have done a pretty solid job since the last transfer day of last season. The transfer committee seems to have helped make us look like at least a semi-competent club when it comes to buying players, which is a stark contrast to the last decade or so. They've kept very quiet, whilst still doing work on the Stadium behind the scenes, and they seem to have learned lessons from the few bad errors of judgement they made.

Can't really ask for too much more.[/quote']

Can't believe I'm actually agreeing with this.

Agree completely with this, since last summer we appear to be giving the impression of a reasonably well run club, not perfect but much improved. I rather like our transfer targets which for the first time in many years as you say appear to be researched in advance and are part of a distinct pattern. We've wasted far too much over the last few years and we're simply not in the position to buy top flight players due to our lack of Champions League football and frankly the huge wage demands.

We're going to reestablish ourselves by as the cliche states, getting ahead of the curve by spotting younger up and coming players who haven't yet established themselves at the top level. There's obviously a significant risk here, a percentage of them won't work out but it's the only way we're going to be able to compete.

Xerxes wont be happy if he doesnt get a new shiney stadium, his financial forecast charts shows the whole of liverpool will get AIDS if a new stadium is not comissioned, built and renamed in honour of ASDA, a subsiduary of the walmart chain corporation.

He may be wrong about that mind but why take the risk, lets bulldoze this old clanky shitbowl we call anfeild and never speak of it again. I think it worth it if we get to hear more of his capitalist silly slang talk foreskin forecastery mastery and by the time we all realise he will have switched his style up slick muv fucka.