You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

Let's be honest, if a top club with CL football comes in for anyone, there's a very good chance that they'll give serious thought to leaving. That's how football works - by all means finish miles away from the lure of the Chsmpions League, but don't complain when players want to leave for teams who can offer them that; we're a few years removed from it now and aren't close to returning, so it would be slightly pathetic to get in a huff if certain players were to accept the opportunity to play in it.

We've attracted plenty of players in the past because of our involvement in that competition, and will do again if we should return, whether that's next year or in a decade or two's time.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Let's be honest, if a top club with CL football comes in for anyone, there's a very good chance that they'll give serious thought to leaving. That's how football works - by all means finish miles away from the lure of the Chsmpions League, but don't complain when players want to leave for teams who can offer them that. We've attracted plenty of players in the past because of our involvement in that competition.

But, but, but we won the Carling Cup.

Yet if someone had recommended that we sign him six months they would have been laughed at and told he's not good enough, we need to aim higher, etc.

I said we should sign him from Reading before he went to Hoffenheim. He ran the game at Anfield when Reading knocked us out of the FA Cup a couple of season back, you could tell he was the real deal.

You and Stronts were begging to sign Downing just before that. I'm not sure you're in any position to be taking the piss about what others say about players.

I think Downing is a good player although I wouldn't have spent £20m on him. I don't see how that affects my "position" on potential signings.

I'd take a punt on Defoe he'll be off end of the season and will be cheap' date=' he'll score goals[/quote']

Personally, I quite like Defoe also but the problem I see with that is that I'd really only want him if we were buying 2 strikers, him being the 2nd one, as such. I doubt he'll be interested in not playing though, so I can't see this happening.

The joke got a bit boring a while ago. Kenny was at Toulouse Montpellier on friday and Feyenoord AZ yesterday so lets just see what happens.

Hmm, probable candidates...

Toulouse - Moussa Sissoko, Etienne Capoue

Montpellier - Olivier Giroud

Feyenoord - John Guidetti is banging them in, but owned by City, unlikely.

AZ - Beerens, Elm, Maartens

Out of all of them, the noises seem to suggest that Elm was the player in the Feyenoord - AZ game, and I hope that it's Giroud in the other game that interests us.

The joke got a bit boring a while ago. Kenny was at Toulouse Montpellier on friday and Feyenoord AZ yesterday so lets just see what happens.

Really?

Thank god for that. We are venturing outside of Great Britain. There is only would English player we should look to sign and that is Adam Johnson from City. The rest are either not good enough or already at top clubs. (I know Johnson is at a top club but seems to hardly play)

Anyway, regarding Sigurdsson. If we want any chance of signing players like this we need to move light-years before other teams. In other words, now. And especially after the FA Cup final.

He wants to stay in the Premier League. Theres no firm offer from the mancs. If we approached them now with a decent offer and offered him a decent wage, he may well come.

If, however, we wait two months when every team in the world is doing their business and he has other offers, we're going to be a tougher sell.

Out of all of them, the noises seem to suggest that Elm was the player in the Feyenoord - AZ game, and I hope that it's Giroud in the other game that interests us.

What kind of player is he?

I see he's been linked with a few clubs this summer.

There is only would English player we should look to sign and that is Adam Johnson from City. The rest are either not good enough or already at top clubs. (I know Johnson is at a top club but seems to hardly play)

I can't believe that Adam Johnson is the ONLY English player we could/ should be interested in signing.

Once bitten, twice shy and all that, but that's absurd.

What position do these players play - any good?

I can't believe that Adam Johnson is the ONLY English player we could/ should be interested in signing.

Once bitten, twice shy and all that, but that's absurd.

It probably is :)

And yeah, once bitten, twice shy as fuck.

But in all honesty, i dont think its that absurd. Adam Johnson isn't the only player we could sign based on to talent, as i'm sure there are other talented English players.

Its because of the stupid price-tags. Adam Johnson is reportedly available for £10m, which is why I suggested him. I personally haven't come across many other top English players who will be available for a decent price. Zaha, maybe, but it'd be a gamble and would probably cost us a stupid amount of money for somebody of such little experience.

I think we should break the bank for Ben Arfa' date=' been unlucky with injuries but he's a class act and I don't think he's a one season wonder either.[/quote']

Newcastle will never, ever, take us seriously again.

They won't take less than 20m for him.

I'd rather we started doing what they did, and buying the likes of Ben Arfa for paltry sums. Like we used to.

I think we should break the bank for Ben Arfa' date=' been unlucky with injuries but he's a class act and I don't think he's a one season wonder either.[/quote']

Well, he's been injury-prone and also has a rotten reputation for being a twat, which is why Newcastle got him in the first place, but there's no denying his talent, pace and all-round ability.

But I dread to think how much money Newcastle would ask for him; their business plan appears to be largely based around selling at least one player for massive cash every season, and they'll have bigger clubs sniffing around Ben Arfa, Tiote, Cabaye, Ba and Cisse.

At least one will go. I'd be delighted if we bought all of them!