You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Doesn't that make criticism of only a select few government's racist?

Seems a strange pov.

No, I think you could be prejudiced against any national or ethnic group.

Okay, let's try a thought experiment. Is it racist to arrest thieves?

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

People are questioning the death toll figures coming out of Gaza. People question a lot of things. It's not an exclusive thing against Jewish people no matter who much you try to spin it that way. 

Also, what's the harm in people wondering what was on the t-shirt? Do you think that Stuart Seldowitz should be jailed for his racism as well? 

How did I know this wouldn’t get an answer. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Strontium said:

No, I think you could be prejudiced against any national or ethnic group.

Okay, let's try a thought experiment. Is it racist to arrest thieves?

Before we do the experiment why have you changed the word at the base of the conversation?

The reply was:

I don't agree that criticism of a government's actions cannot be racism.

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Before we do the experiment why have you changed the word at the base of the conversation?

The reply was:

I don't agree that criticism of a government's actions cannot be racism.

It was my understanding that racism encompassed prejudice against a person because of their racial, ethnic or national background.

6 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

On another topic I doubt that Seldowitz will be charged.

I doubt he will also. What was the term used earlier? Different rules for different groups? Now imagine if somebody said that regarding Jewish people. Would that be anti-Semitic? 

4 minutes ago, Strontium said:

So it's not racist to be prejudiced against a person because of their racial, ethnic or national background? I have to say, that would be a minority opinion.

Ethnic/ National background? That is the question we are discussing.

Folks in the US/UK all share a national background yet can certainly be racist towards one another.

Leave the minorities opinions out of this....

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Ethnic/ National background? That is the question we are discussing.

Folks in the US/UK all share a national background yet can certainly be racist towards one another.

Leave the minorities opinions out of this....

To me, this is confusing.

53 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Where did I say that? 

Was he? Must have a had a shit lawyer. I've been to plenty of Old Firms and been around Celtic supporters all my life, not one has ever aligned the term "hun" with any religious association. Now if I called one a "Dirty Orange Bastard" yeah I can accept that would have religious meaning. 

I grew up in a place where the word 'hun' was quite obviously a derogatory term used against Protestants and as equally offensive as the words 'taig' and 'fenian', apparently. We were advised not to say it. It definitely has negative connotations for the Protestant community and any Irish Celtic fans will be aware of that.

50 minutes ago, Mook said:

Surely being prejudiced against Muslims is sectarian, as opposed to racist. Given Islam is a religion and not a race.

I could convert to Islam, wouldn't make me the same race as someone from Palestine.

Would depend on the reason for being prejudiced against Muslims. Many people in the UK just see "Muslims" as violent brown people who want to destroy their 19th century rose tinted vision of the UK. It doesn't have anything to do with religion. They couldn't actually tell you anything about Islam, or Hinduism or Sikhism, or any other belief system they're petrified of. 

I play cricket in a team with people of all three faiths, from all the cricket playing nations of West Asia (first and second generation). They're regularly racially abused by "rugby lads" from small towns in the valleys. I'm going to go out on a limb and say very few of them are great theologians who have issues with religion positions. 

7 minutes ago, Carradona said:

I grew up in a place where the word 'hun' was quite obviously a derogatory term used against Protestants and as equally offensive as the words 'taig' and 'fenian', apparently. We were advised not to say it. It definitely has negative connotations for the Protestant community and any Irish Celtic fans will be aware of that.

I'm not Irish. But if it is over there then so be it. I've stopped using the term anyway because its offensive but I've never used it in a religious context. It stemmed from that news article, if it's been adopted as a slur against protestants then fair enough. 

56 minutes ago, Mook said:

Surely being prejudiced against Muslims is sectarian, as opposed to racist. Given Islam is a religion and not a race.

I could convert to Islam, wouldn't make me the same race as someone from Palestine.

Sectarian is Shia and shiite having a go at each other. Bit like protestant and roman Catholic.

10 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Would depend on the reason for being prejudiced against Muslims. Many people in the UK just see "Muslims" as violent brown people who want to destroy their 19th century rose tinted vision of the UK. It doesn't have anything to do with religion. They couldn't actually tell you anything about Islam, or Hinduism or Sikhism, or any other belief system they're petrified of. 

I play cricket in a team with people of all three faiths, from all the cricket playing nations of West Asia (first and second generation). They're regularly racially abused by "rugby lads" from small towns in the valleys. I'm going to go out on a limb and say very few of them are great theologians who have issues with religion positions. 

Aye, I'd agree with that.

It all boils down to hatred, ignorance and fear at the end of the day, whatever you want to call it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, A Red said:

Sectarian is Shia and shiite having a go at each other. Bit like protestant and roman Catholic.

That makes sense, so sectarianism is hatred between different sects of the same ideology.

Hatred of Islam/Muslims would be Islamophobia then, as opposed to sectarianism.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It stemmed from that news article, if it's been adopted as a slur against protestants then fair enough. 

With no idea as to the origination - Irish folks

https://www.irishpost.com/news/what-does-the-word-hun-mean-and-what-is-its-place-in-todays-society-91001#:~:text=Another popular theory is that,in town for a match.

I’ve come across several theories put forward by Celtic and Rangers fans as to its origins, albeit on that most dubious of sources that is the football web forum.

Theories are ten-a-penny – there are even suggestions that Rangers fans initially called Celtic fans ‘huns’ because of Irish Republicans’ support for Nazi Germany, and that it was chanted by fans of both teams when the losing side’s supporters were spotted leaving early: “Go home you huns…” One Hibs fan wrote that he recalled singing the same refrain no matter who the visitors to Easter Road.

Another popular theory is that the term was used by an English newspaper to compare Rangers fans to “marauding huns” — the nomadic, devastating military force infamously led by Attila in the fifth century — when they ran amok while in town for a match.

However, I have seen the location of the chaos variously identified as Wolverhampton, Birmingham, Newcastle and Sunderland. While there exist reports of visiting Rangers fans’ anarchic behaviour in English cities throughout the decades when in town for friendly and European fixtures, I have yet to see any evidence of this ubiquitously cited “marauding huns” quote.

4 minutes ago, Mook said:

Aye, I'd agree with that.

It all boils down to hatred, ignorance and fear at the end of the day, whatever you want to call it.

Exactly, and fear begets violence which leads to…more violence ad infinitum. Have we learned absolutely nothing in the *X* amount of years we’ve been on this tiny little rock?