You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The term "Student Mentality"

Carradona

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually being serious, I'm a fresher now Cain...

You learn many skills that are unique to just students and just being one gives you different experiences. Moving far away from home to live with people you don't know shows you're willing to adapt, for example. I suppose that one aspect of the mentality of a student is that they're positive with change?

It's quite difficult really to pinpoint what you've asked but hope this helps.

I would usually think of it in negative terms. Usually someone who hasn't grown into or acquired a professional outlook yet. Still a bit of a party seeker or uncommitted.

But I suppose if it were positive then you could take it to mean having a good academic aptitude or having not yet developed a cynical outlook, perhaps eager or hungry to prove.

But usually its the negative I'd associate it with.

I guess they mean someone who is always looking to learn, who accepts that there are always things they can pick up from any situation, be it positive or negative, and have an open mind about who and where they can pick up knowledge and expertise from. Something like that I guess.

When I worked at the same place as Jennings, there was a lad there who was described as having a 'student mentality'. Funnily enough, he was a work-placement uni student. He didn't get invited back when he graduated because of his student mentality.

I think in his case it meant unprofessional and lacking concentration, without malice, just caused by immaturity.

I've never heard the term used in a positive sense; I think instead 'eager to learn', 'fresh clay ready to mould' are sometimes used to describe a fresh faced graduate ready to be spitroasted by the twin-cocks of money and 'the man'.

Come on guys, I need a things to say about myself to sell myself in a job interview tomorrow. "Student mentality" is something that was talked about in the last interview I had.
Cain, I honestly feel as though they want to know if you've grown out of your student ways. If you get asked the question in your interview tomorrow, for fucks sake lie through your teeth.

Genuinely, good luck mate.