You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sorry there probably was some elitism on my part. I probably am one of them dreaded 'music buffs' I don't mean to be, it's just one of them things, it kinda takes over you. My ex would call me out on it all the time. I don't even realise I'm doing it sometimes, for about 11 years I've being one of them guys, it's who I am now. I don't mean any wrong by it, it's just my way. I do actually think people should listen to whatever they want and if something makes them happy that's sound.

I'll keep my Oasis opinions in the relevant thread next time and let those who like them to converse in peace. 

• Upvote 1

Sorry there probably was some elitism on my part. I probably am one of them dreaded 'music buffs' I don't mean to be, it's just one of them things, it kinda takes over you. My ex would call me out on it all the time. I don't even realise I'm doing it sometimes, for about 11 years I've being one of them guys, it's who I am now. I don't mean any wrong by it, it's just my way. I do actually think people should listen to whatever they want and if something makes them happy that's sound.

I'll keep my Oasis opinions in the relevant thread next time and let those who like them to converse in peace. 

Shit house. I don't care mate it makes for a good debate. It's not exactly anything personal is it so feel free to chip in. If people didn't it wouldn't be  the GF! You are wrong on most pints though you meff. 

Agree on the part in bold though mate. 

Shit house. I don't care mate it makes for a good debate. It's not exactly anything personal is it so feel free to chip in. If people didn't it wouldn't be  the GF! You are wrong on most pints though you meff. 

Agree on the part in bold though mate. 

That's the thing though, it becomes less of a debate and more about tastes and such. It's like my previous point about associating music with memories. I never had that Oasis moment. You can probably go through your music collection, ipod or whatever and remember the first time you heard a lot of it. Maybe not the exact day or time, but you'll be able to remember that first time you heard that song kick in and think 'Fucking right'

My brother lent me DM in 2001 I think it was. He told me it was class and I'd love it. I was still finding my feet at this point, I liked stuff like Bowie and the Rolling Stones, but my mates were into Blink 182 and such and so I was torn. I wanted to fit in, but deep down I knew what I was listening to was shite. Anyway, DM didn't blow me away and I eventually gave it back to my brother. Around 03/04 I'd done away with all that pop punk shite and was listening to all manner of shit. I was still a few years off drinking age but parties round whoever had a free house were regular occurrences. I was well into my alt rock and shoe-gaze at this point and so when someone stuck What's the Story on I just felt it was a load of rubbish. A million miles away from the stuff I wanted to listen to. My tastes were changing, friendships were expiring, it was just the life of a 15 year old I guess. Apathy and music.

A few years later my other bro got married and towards the end of the night everyone was pissed up and someone stuck Wonderwall on and nearly everyone sang along. I was a ganja smoking, know it all 17 year old at this point and I found it hard to contain my disgust. Pretty much all the males in attendance were trying to get me to sing along, getting me and headlocks and shit, taking the piss of the shaggy haired black sheep of the family who listens to 'just a load of noise' which only annoyed me more. Every attempt to listen to them since has only led to disappointment. 

So there you have it. My dislike of Oasis is due to ridicule, elitism and taste. There you go, I've given you all an excuse to say 'You only dislike them cos your uncle gave you a nuggy' but even if there might be a little truth in that, I do consider them an average band regardless and nothing will change that. But anyway, I said I was going to leave my opinions on the matter for another thread, just thought I'd share a tale of my misspent youth 

• Upvote 2

That's the thing though, it becomes less of a debate and more about tastes and such. It's like my previous point about associating music with memories. I never had that Oasis moment. You can probably go through your music collection, ipod or whatever and remember the first time you heard a lot of it. Maybe not the exact day or time, but you'll be able to remember that first time you heard that song kick in and think 'Fucking right'

My brother lent me DM in 2001 I think it was. He told me it was class and I'd love it. I was still finding my feet at this point, I liked stuff like Bowie and the Rolling Stones, but my mates were into Blink 182 and such and so I was torn. I wanted to fit in, but deep down I knew what I was listening to was shite. Anyway, DM didn't blow me away and I eventually gave it back to my brother. Around 03/04 I'd done away with all that pop punk shite and was listening to all manner of shit. I was still a few years off drinking age but parties round whoever had a free house were regular occurrences. I was well into my alt rock and shoe-gaze at this point and so when someone stuck What's the Story on I just felt it was a load of rubbish. A million miles away from the stuff I wanted to listen to. My tastes were changing, friendships were expiring, it was just the life of a 15 year old I guess. Apathy and music.

A few years later my other bro got married and towards the end of the night everyone was pissed up and someone stuck Wonderwall on and nearly everyone sang along. I was a ganja smoking, know it all 17 year old at this point and I found it hard to contain my disgust. Pretty much all the males in attendance were trying to get me to sing along, getting me and headlocks and shit, taking the piss of the shaggy haired black sheep of the family who listens to 'just a load of noise' which only annoyed me more. Every attempt to listen to them since has only led to disappointment. 

So there you have it. My dislike of Oasis is due to ridicule, elitism and taste. There you go, I've given you all an excuse to say 'You only dislike them cos your uncle gave you a nuggy' but even if there might be a little truth in that, I do consider them an average band regardless and nothing will change that. But anyway, I said I was going to leave my opinions on the matter for another thread, just thought I'd share a tale of my misspent youth 

Great post. Sorry you are not an oasis fan but I see why. 

Maybe one last shot.... have a listen to the Masterplan album. A collection of b-sides and for me some of Noel's best work. 

Blink 182 though? Fuck me . 

• Upvote 1

I think you need to reach Stig what they are.

I can take the neg on the chin. I personally wouldn't call Robert Smith an emo though. A definite goth.

He's a fucking embarrassment that's what he is. How old is he? Still using his mums mascara. A few good tunes in the 80s and a world of shite since.

A one trick my little pony.

As much as nearly everyone in this thread has time for Oasis, it's painfully obvious that they've done nothing relevant musically for about 10 years. Beady Eye are the devils spawn, it's basic rock n roll and not the good kind ala Ramones. Noel's stuff although eclectic, is frankly forgettable. Gone are the days of quality tunes like Columbia and Fucking in the bushes. I half expect him to come out with something like that "go gentle" shit Robbie Williams is singing on the X factor. What I mean to say is it's getting progressively worse and it's only a matter of time before he starts dedicating his songs to kids or spazzes out like Clapton and sings about "picking cotton" or some shit. Your basically all cunt's, and it's pointlessly going round in circles..... Blur, Ryan Adam's, Robert Smith, how cares? it's a joke and Blink 182.....are the punch line.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

As much as nearly everyone in this thread has time for Oasis, it's painfully obvious that they've done nothing relevant musically for about 10 years. Beady Eye are the devils spawn, it's basic rock n roll and not the good kind ala Ramones. Noel's stuff although eclectic, is frankly forgettable. Gone are the days of quality tunes like Columbia and Fucking in the bushes. I half expect him to come out with something like that "go gentle" shit Robbie Williams is singing on the X factor. What I mean to say is it's getting progressively worse and it's only a matter of time before he starts dedicating his songs to kids or spazzes out like Clapton and sings about "picking cotton" or some shit. Your basically all cunt's, and it's pointlessly going round in circles..... Blur, Ryan Adam's, Robert Smith, how cares? it's a joke and Blink 182.....are the punch line.

How can go fuck himself. 

For me, Oasis were of the moment, three great opening albums, and then their work, creatively, was done. Liam is a great front man, but with no new material of note to sing post Oasis. Noel is a good songwriter, and a great musical alchemist, but post Liam has neither found a personal, or musical, identity.

But Oasis were a great live act in their day. Their live shows defined them. I have been lucky enough to see Led Zep, The Who, The Rolling Stones and The Kinks, live, and they were contenders amongst those peers, not in terms of breadth,overall quality, and volume of material, but as a great live rock show.

Oasis does not compare to Led Zeppelin in any way, especially not as a live act.

Have you seen them both live yourself?

Any debate as to who was/is better as a live act is subject to so many variables, which date, which tour, when, how old you were at the time, that it comes down to personal opinion, and experience.

The only sense in which I sought to compare Oasis, in their heydey, with Led Zep was in the visceral power of their live shows.Both carried festivals, stadia and arenas, of course there is a comparison. Who was best is a matter of personal taste.

Zep undoubtedly were more influential and more successful, particularly internationally. But on their night, Oasis were contenders with the best, no doubt.

• Upvote 1

There is no need to compare them. Oasis stand up as a live band in their own right but Zeppelin are legendary. I saw them at the O2 for their reunion gig and they were mind blowing. Even at 70 odd or however old they are now.

There's no band past or present that can live with Zeppelin.

This might come as a surprise but Oasis aren't in the top 10 bands I've seen as a live performance and I've seen them a good 14/15 times. best i saw them was at finsbury park, they were fucking brilliant that night. I never got to see maine road or knebworth so anyone who was there can disagree but Oasis for me is always a pissed up karaoke especially in the latter years. ok, i have not been anything but bladdered (and sometimes more) when I've seen them but I've seen far better live acts. 

Prodigy (best live act I've ever seen, each 3 times)

AC/DC

Foo Fighters (Saw them support Oasis at noise and confusion years ago, big all day roof closed music event and honestly the Foo Fighters pissed on them as a live performance that night - though Oasis were on form as well to be fair)

Stone Roses (tight as fuck at heaton park , a great surprise as i wasn't expecting much)

Muse

The Strokes

The Police (tightest band I've seen live) 

Kasabian

Neil Young

Off the top of my head have all put on a much better show. The best you get in terms of visual from Oasis is Liam standing with a tambourine on his head. Sound wise they are hit and miss but everyone is that fucked they could play Blur songs and no-one would notice. 

I could obviously have been stood watching them deliver the best live performance ever but couldn't tell you but from what i remember they have been great 'events' but musically not amazing. 

That said, if I could go and see any band right now in the world I would choose Oasis every single time.