You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anyone got or used one?

The Stephen King thread has just got me thinking about current paper books and what lies ahead. The Kindle type tablets seem to be the future but is it worth buying one or will Ipad/blackberry tablets be able to have the same thing soon enough?

Any thoughts?

Kindle 3G Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 3G Works Globally, Graphite, 6" Display with New E Ink Pearl Technology: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest davelfc

I've got a Kindle, been reading it today in the garden.

People moaning on about 'real books' sound like people complaining about those flickery pictures or that electrickery.

I have bought quite a few books and downloaded a few thousand. When I go away or sit in the garden I have a vast library at my disposal and the screen is just amazing.

Oh and like a real book you need a light source to read it, you can also lend your kindle books to other kindle users.

Guest The Chimp

I've just bought one and am awaiting it's arrival funnily enough. I've been on TPB to download a few books and so as I've not really any idea what I'm doing this will be a good thread to follow.

Great for traveling, browser is rubbish, next and prev page buttons sometimes get in the way, good collection of free books and easy to hold - the holder with the inbuilt light is a good addition.

I don't regret getting one, but they are not so good for technical books, and overall I still prefer reading a book.

I'm deeply in love with my kindle. If it had a gee, I'd be riding it.

I travel a lot for work so having the kindle is a life saver. I always have a library of books with me and can read to my hearts content. Much easier then trying to drag around a bunch of books.

Anyone coming out with the wank about books been better should get rid of their computer, get a typewriter and send me a message explaining why.

I have one and have over four hundred books on it, many of which are ones I already own in paper and have downloaded on the sly, whereas new books I tend to buy for it rather than in paper. I've got no interest in downloading books I've not already paid for, for free, because I don't want to put publishers out of business. Similar to my attitude to music which I have owned on different formats but downloaded to have digitally, whereas I always buy new stuff. Don't see why I should pay twice for anything though.

I find the kindle light, convenient, with searchable text and the ability to do a quick dictionary lookup when I'm reading something more archaic. The text is readable in any natural light where you could read a book, but can be readily magnified or shrunk, and it does not suffer from screen glare so is fine outside in the sunshine. I can hold it and turn pages with one hand no matter how big the book is, which is ace. The small data footprint of ebooks also means I can eventually have two thousand books that I like on it, and I never mind re-reading a book I like, so I will always have something to read. The batteries last about two weeks with the wi-fi off, so you are not constantly having to charge it up.

I wouldn't use it for reading technical books; it's best just for text, and the browser is not worth firing up really, so you probably don't need to go for the 3G option.

I understand that some people get caught up in the nostalgia of vinyl records or paper books but I have found myself able to leave both behind fairly painlessly. I would hate to be without it, and where I go it tends to go.

Edited by zigackly

I've got a Kindle app on the iPad plus Kobo (Canadian one I think. At least I have to use my Chapters account to login and download). Love it. Also have the same apps on my iTouch. I find people who say it's a hassle to read or change pages so often on a smaller screen are just being lazy. It's so convenient. I've even got Kobo on my Blackberry.