You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jon Snow
How much would a combination of Suarez and Forlan be worth? They are just class together.

Could get Forlan pretty cheap just he would expect a fair wage I think but to play with Luis I think he would be dieing to join us. Plus it would be fantastic to see a failed ex-manc do well for us.

Imagine this team.

.........................Reyna

johnson....Carraghar.........Agger......Cisshoko

......................Adam....Lucas

Downing...............Gerrard................Suarez

...........................Forlan

Doni

Kelly

Skrtel

Henderson

Carroll

Kuyt

Meiralas

You try telling me that is not good enough to challenge for the title?

The fact that he hasn't been pictured in a Liverpool scarf/shirt/flag obviously means that he isn't committed and is angling for a move to Barca...

Or maybe he's just not a lying, 2 faced, smarmy, piece of shit faggot cunt that'll fuck off at the earliest opportunity.

Maybe.

What I love about him was his constant moaning.

Some people see it as a bad point, but when you're as good as Luis is and run as much as he does, then it's only fair that he shouts at his own team-mates and tells them what he expects.

If Carroll doesn't pull his weight, then I'm looking forward to Luis bawling him out for it.

And yes, I'd drop Carroll for Forlan or another intelligent striker if he doesn't have a good all-round understanding of movement around him.

It's vital for our strikers to work hard, but to also work clever, otherwise it's just wasted effort in the hope of looking committed for the fans.

I like players who want to work hard because they know how to use it and force errors to win a game. Carlos Tevez is another great example of it, as is David Villa. That's the calibre of player we have in Suarez.

Brace yourselves for the inevitable link with the Mancs, courtesy of the Daily Mail or something.

RE Carroll in my above post, I actually think he'll be alright.

There was one lovely first time pass he made against Hull that really impressed me.

In the same way that the Flanno tackle was enough for PT to see his potential, that pass worked the same way for me with regards Andy.

999x.jpg

Copa America special: How Luis Suarez and Uruguay conquered a continent

Uruguay are the form team in the world game following their Copa America triumph last weekend. Here guest blogger and South American football expert Euan Marshall looks at their remarkable rise...

In all my time watching the Copa America, I have never seen a tournament as unpredictable and widely publicised as this year’s. Naturally, with the increased attention came more criticism, the early group matches did not deliver many goals (an average of two per game during the group stage) with the majority of sides playing a defensive style.

However things really started to catch fire as the knockout phase approached, with the elimination of Brazil, Argentina, Chile and Colombia in the space of just two days. Uruguay were left as the clear favourites and strolled to their historic 15th Copa America title, brushing aside Paraguay in the final and winning 3-0. Undoubtedly, the best team triumphed.

What with their performance in the 2010 World Cup and now this Copa America victory, it is clear to see that Uruguay are currently the best team on the continent. What makes them so effective is that they have the complete package; fabulous individual talent, a solid team ethic and a coach with genuine tactical nous. Combine this with some good old garra charrua (Uruguayan term for a victorious spirit in the face of adversity) and it’s no surprise they waltzed to victory in Argentina.

Coach Oscar Washington Tabarez is a genuine class act. Known as El Maestro, he has been integral to Uruguay’s resurgence on the national scene since he took control in 2006. As we saw at the 2010 World Cup, he is a genius when it comes to tactics and is not afraid to make changes if things are not going well. He approaches every game with a unique approach, using a certain strategy to prey on his opponent’s weaknesses and attempt to neutralise their threats. In this Copa America alone, Tabarez sent out Uruguay with five distinctly different shapes in their six matches, ranging from 3-4-3 to 4-4-1-1.

Uruguay also possesses the stunning individual quality required by the world’s best sides. In goal the much-maligned Fernando Muslera of Lazio had an excellent tournament, putting in a particularly heroic performance in the quarter final against Argentina. He certainly would have been the best goalkeeper of the tournament had it not been for Paraguay’s Justo Villar, who near singlehandedly took his country to the final with his vital saves throughout the month.

In front of Muslera, captain Diego Lugano was marvellous in the centre of defence and was flanked by some excellent performances from Best Young Player winner Sebastián Coates. The 20 year-old was one of the real standouts in the squad, performing superbly against Chile when he was asked to play as a sweeper in the centre back trio. Coates is a prime example of the progress that Uruguay have made since Tabárez came in, as after impressing with the under 20’s team hewas fast-tracked into the senior side along with several others and played a big part.

In the midfield, Tabarez’s trusted duo of Diego Perez and Egidio Arevalo Rios were a feature of every line-up (except from the semi-final against Peru, when Perez was suspended) in front of the defence. Their hard-hitting and energetic style was extremely effective in breaking up play and they were absolutely central to all of Tabarez’s systems. On the left we saw several stunning performances from Álvaro Pereira, whose superb engine and stamina gave Uruguay a real threat down that flank and also an extra goal source.

The true stars were the forwards, as Diego Forlan and Player of the Tournament Luis Suarez were consistently outstanding. Before the tournament Uruguay were expected to play with three men up front, but with the injury to Napoli’s Edinson Cavani in the match against Chile, it was left to just two.

Forlan offers such an important contribution to this Uruguay squad, as with a midfield that lacks creativity, Forlan will often drop off from his forward position to act as the playmaker in the midfield. He struggled to find the net for most of the tournament, but his movement and link-play was spectacular throughout. He even managed to rediscover his goal scoring form at just the right time, scoring twice in the final.

Finally, the fantastic Luis Suarez. His intelligence and off the ball runs in the final third made him almost unplayable for the opposition defenders, with the vast majority of Uruguay’s goals involving some contribution from the Liverpool man. Another important role that he played was in frustrating defenders and drawing fouls and yellow cards, something he can do better than anyone else in the game.

In the space of a year, Uruguay achieved a fourth place finish at the 2010 World Cup, domestic giants Penarol made it to the final of the Copa Libertadores (the first Uruguayan side to do so in 23 years), and they have now clinched their 15th Copa America trophy - a South American record. All of this alludes to the fact that Uruguay have once again returned to prominence on the world stage and that the two-time world champions may well be entering into a new golden age.

Most of this progress can be credited to Tabarez, as it was his determination to overhaul the youth setup that helped nurture such talents as the aforementioned Coates, Nicolas Lodeiro, Abel Hernandez and Bologna’s Gaston Ramirez, all of which have been integrated into the full senior squad. This is a process that will keep producing stars, with names like Diego Polenta and Adrian Luna set to be the next stars to make the step up.

With Uruguay what you have is an excellent system with solid foundations, not just a talented generation of players that will come and go. If there remains anyone still doubting their credibility, the 2014 World Cup in Brazil should change that. With the ‘Tabarez project’ in full swing, who would bet against them?

Can't wait to see him back in a red jersey. Super player!

• 4 weeks later...