You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Lucas & Spearing midfield

llego

Remember not too long ago when we used to groan whenever these two names popped up on the teamsheet together? It was mostly the odd Europa league game and it was taken as a guarantee of a lifeless, boring match.

What the hell has happened to basically make these two guys our first choice deep midfield pair (Gerrard arguably aside)? Is it Spearing's drastic personal improvement- especially his range of passing? Is it Lucas' increasing dependability? Or is it the shift in our style to an aggressive pressing game with a fluid midfield and an emphasis on pass and move?

Tactics? Form? Kenny's motivational talents? Whatever the cause it's amazing how solid this pairing has become. Even a month or two ago, it seemed clear that CM was a priority position for summer reinforcement. I no longer think that it is.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember not too long ago when we used to groan whenever these two names popped up on the teamsheet together? It was mostly the odd Europa league game and it was taken as a guarantee of a lifeless, boring match.

What the hell has happened to basically make these two guys our first choice deep midfield pair (Gerrard arguably aside)? Is it Spearing's drastic personal improvement- especially his range of passing? Is it Lucas' increasing dependability? Or is it the shift in our style to an aggressive pressing game with a fluid midfield and an emphasis on pass and move?

Tactics? Form? Kenny's motivational talents? Whatever the cause it's amazing how solid this pairing has become. Even a month or two ago, it seemed clear that CM was a priority position for summer reinforcement. I no longer think that it is.

All of these.

The reason for the groaning is the lack of creativity in the two. Under Kenny we play as a team, and that lack is more compensated for.

If we're going to play 4-4-2 next season, they're not good enough. But then they won't play together either, as Gerrard will take one of the positions.

The reason for the groaning is the lack of creativity in the two. Under Kenny we play as a team, and that lack is more compensated for.

If we're going to play 4-4-2 next season, they're not good enough. But then they won't play together either, as Gerrard will take one of the positions.

Yeah if he stays fit and earns his place. You get your place on merit under the king no matter who you are.

Unquestionably the bolded part for me, coupled with both players having far more freedom than they've had before, they pop up in areas of the pitch they wouldn't have been allowed to before Kenny.

Steven Gerrard is so much better than the other two it's unreal. He doesn't have to earn anything. If fit, he plays.

Yeah its a big if tho isnt it? Is it just me or do we play better football when Gerrards not in the side? We have to start peparing for life after SG, hes not gona last forever anyway. The days of relying acording to sly sports on him are over.

Stevie's injury record has forced our hand but he must be kicking his heels in serious frustration. He would have his deck chair and cigar out with Lucas doing the donkey work for him while he tears teams a new one with the strenght we have shown.

I can't wait to see a fit Gerrard playing under Kenny, I really can't. That said, I think that Lucas and Spearing have been brilliant recently, both in terms of workrate and their all-round game. Kenny has given them both a lot more confidence and freedom than they had under Roy or Rafa where shape and staying in position seemed to be everything. It's funny that a lot of people thought Kenny's approach to the game would be outmoded, isn't it? Couldn't have been more wrong.

I think Suarez and his style of play(movement and knack of always finding a bit of space helps them)they both work hard and always put a shift in but their lack of creativity makes us look very ordinary sometimes especially if our attacking players are having an off day.We could win trophies with these two in centre midfield but only if we have world class wide men in the team to make up for their lack of vision.

Steven Gerrard is so much better than the other two it's unreal. He doesn't have to earn anything. If fit, he plays.

Too bad he hasn't played as well as any of them for the last couple of years... I agree he's got the potential to be much, much better than both, and his ability to pop up with a game-winning pass or shot is always much appreciated. His workrate and captain qualities aren't exactly missed these last few weeks though... I think if our progress is to continue, and Stevie wants to be a part of it, he'll need to put in a lot more work on the pitch. I know I'll get stick for this, but it's the comraderie and work ethic/team spirit that's been the most refreshing for me under Kenny (look at Lucas and Robinson yesterday as an example), and I think having Torres and to a lesser extent Gerrard out for a long time has actually helped the group to perform better.

For people to even mention whether Gerard should go straight back in is great credit to both Lucas and Spearing. Competition for places is what makes players run that extra 10%.

If we bring 3/4 top draw players in it will keep everyone on their toes.

Cant wait for next season.

The redmen are coming up the hill boys !

Gerrard hasn't played as well as Lucas the last couple of years?!

I don't know what planet you live on, but it can't be the same one as the rest of us.

Mate you need to get your blinkers off regarding gerrard cause he's been shite over the last couple of years. What I'm trying to say is he shouldn't be an automatic choice when he's fit just cause he's Steven gerrard when his form has been poor.

I don't know what planet you live on, but it can't be the same one as the rest of us.

Gerrard hasn't played anywhere near his talented best often enough during the last two seasons. Lucas has, however, gone from strength to strength.

Absolutely. However, that doesn't put him behind Lucas and Spearing in the pecking order for central midfield.

True but I don't think we need to be looking to break up a partnership that has shown great signs of being a long term option for us. I'd look to use Gerrard slightly ahead of these two with a front three ahead of them more than I'd look to be using Gerrard instead of Spearing or Lucas.

Suarez has certainly helped because his movement has created more space and passing options for everyone, not just the CM pairing. Kuyt has also enjoyed more good possession since the arrival of Suarez.

He's a catalyst player; he can make the ordinary look extraordinary, but equally, when not on form, we will suffer more.

As for Spearing and Lucas, they were well on top yesterday, although the omission of Ferguson helped. Everyone knows I really dislike Lucas, and I maintain we have to do better, but he was superb yesterday, and seemed to be all over the pitch at the same time.

Everyone played really well yesterday, apart from an insipid and tired display from Meireles, who isn't a wide player.

Could probably have inserted a ;) there, but I stand by the rest of what I said. A Gerrard that works wholeheartedly for the cause (and the rest of the team) is automatic 1st choice, but he's been missing for a long time, probably more than 2 years. He's gotten a bit lazy and complacent imo, and not having to compete for his place means he's been strolling around too much for my liking. His favourite pose with head tilted backwards jogging forward and looking to the sky when something doesn't come off is something I can live without:( I also think when he plays our pressing of the ball suffers greatly, and as we haven't really got the quality in other areas of the pitch, that (the pressing and winning the ball back) is probably our biggest strength, even more so under Kenny than before.

PS! In response to your post, Lucas has outperformed Gerrard for most of the last two seasons. If you can't see that I'm afraid you're the one that's living on a different planet.