You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

he wont because he doesnt play for Arsenal or Scum

whilst Gibbs and Smalling get selected for doing the grand total of fuck all

England are always loathe to play our players. I go back to Owen and Gerrard, Barnes, Mcmanaman, Redknapp, Fowler, Carragher, Rob Jones, and so many others before and since, they always seem to have to do it for a lot longer before they are reluctantly given a chance. Manc players get a cap just for an appearance in their reserves even when not first choice

Owen was the quickest and best striker England had bar a past peak Shearer maybe but even then as clear as day he was our best striker Hoddle didn't want to play him at all. Then said he wasn't a finisher as if he was Craig Bellamy/Clinton Morrison/ Rob Earnshaw.

Gerrard took a while for the England coaches to play him even though there was no one who could touch him for ages, seems to have history as a youth as well according the his biography. I could see with his first tackle against Blackburn he should be put straight in.

McManaman used to get some shit, he was class in 96 but if Darren Anderton was fit and came on for 15 mins for Spurs, it'd be enough for him to get straight back in or someone else would in his place, they wasted his talent due to mismanagement. Was smashing in champions league final goals and whatnot and couldn't even get in the squad. Barnes similar although a different time. Fowler rarely played for England, probably the only one I could understand as we had the likes of Shearer, Sheri, Ferdinand, Wright, Sutton, later Owen also. (Can't beleive the disparity between then and now, theyd all score 30 goals a season them lot and now you can't see any England strikers that do that nowdays. It was like waiting for a bus and 30 buses come all at once and then no buses for 15 years. That's not some misty eyed shit but English striker talent is not what it once was clearly.)

It has been going on since the 60/70's though many top players being cast aside for southern media favoured darlings.

Reminds us who we are though, fuck England.

As for Kelly, I used to know him years ago, lives round the corner from my old manz. Hope it hasn't gone to his head like my sources say it has. He's gonna face the same shit so should concentrate on playing for us, England aren't doing anything anyway in the next 5 years as theres not many decent players coming through.

Let them keep playing shite like Gibbs and Wes Brown I say.

Edited by dennis tooth

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes we're guilty of overrating our players but Kelly has it all, he'll easily become the next Steve Nicol and will probably help us win everything, no doubt about it. Looking forward to his first hat-trick.

• 3 weeks later...

He is going to replace Skrtel at some point and I'm glad he is getting game time and learning in an area where he will come up against some players who are very good with the ball. His passing needs work as we will need him to distribute short quick passes but he is getting better with each game. I think we may see another of the younger players get real meaningful game time after we have won a few more games and the team starts to be feared again.

His number will only change next year mate, now he's in the team I'm guessing he'd want to move down the order from number 34.

Yeah, but then if he had Kelly's name on his back with his ORIGINAL squad number, it'd be proving how he was a massive fan from the very beginning.

You know when you're a fan of some band and you meet someone who has a limited edition copy of some record, or says he only likes "their early stuff"? And you automatically think they're better than you, or at the very least cooler and better-looking? It's a bit like that.

So is he definately going to be a centre back then? I've heard a lot of people say that's his favoured position and where he is best at, never seen him there myself though, only started watching the reserves quite recently.

From watching him play at right-back he seems very suited to that position, lots of energy going forward and can run past players, which might be wasted a bit in the middle. We could definately do with a quick centre back though, so if that's where he'll be best then great, just wondering as he seems a top full-back so far.

I used to think that he will eventually be a centre half but now I'm not so sure. He looks right at home at full back. He would almost be wasted in the middle. On the plus side though, he could very well be a Markus Babbel type and be able to do both roles when required.

So is he definately going to be a centre back then? I've heard a lot of people say that's his favoured position and where he is best at, never seen him there myself though, only started watching the reserves quite recently.

From watching him play at right-back he seems very suited to that position, lots of energy going forward and can run past players, which might be wasted a bit in the middle. We could definately do with a quick centre back though, so if that's where he'll be best then great, just wondering as he seems a top full-back so far.

I'm not convinced, I think he'd prefer it, but right back really allows his attributes to shine.

May all depend on who out of Ayala, Wisdom, Wilson and Flanagan etc make the step up.