You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Newcastle United away match thread

fowler9

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of things that we need to do to get this club back where it belongs but the very first one is to get rid of this joke. I cannot begin to understand how he can have managed for over thirty years without learning how to at least give his sides a chance of winning away games.

why does it always happen to me, he seems to be asking himself. Well Roy, it's either because you have the worst luck of any human being ever, luck so bad that there should be scientific studies done to ascertain just how it came to be so bad, or it's because you keep doing it to yourself with your fucking hopeless tactics and complete and utter lack of courage. I reckon it's the second one myself.

It's obvious that not only is he incapable of changing, he doesn't even think he needs to.

This is spot on for me. Alot of people seem to just want to disregard the 35 years of mediocrity for whatever reasons they may have and keep going "but..but...last season was bad too"

He actually had me starting to believe maybe hes figured us out but his methods just don't work. We let other teams have too much control in our games. So much so that they always have numerous chances to punish us.

Ah, I get it now - you're a fucking mentalist!

There are a lot of things that we need to do to get this club back where it belongs but the very first one is to get rid of this joke. I cannot begin to understand how he can have managed for over thirty years without learning how to at least give his sides a chance of winning away games.

why does it always happen to me, he seems to be asking himself. Well Roy, it's either because you have the worst luck of any human being ever, luck so bad that there should be scientific studies done to ascertain just how it came to be so bad, or it's because you keep doing it to yourself with your fucking hopeless tactics and complete and utter lack of courage. I reckon it's the second one myself.

It's obvious that not only is he incapable of changing, he doesn't even think he needs to.

This is spot on for me. Alot of people seem to just want to disregard the 35 years of mediocrity for whatever reasons they may have and keep going "but..but...last season was bad too"

He actually had me starting to believe maybe hes figured us out but his methods just don't work. We let other teams have too much control in our games. So much so that they always have numerous chances to punish us.

Just got back home. Terrible in the first half, nothing about our play suggested we were going for three points. Got the goal ad finally started to put pressure on and Torres missed a very good chance, N'Gog (our best player I thought) missed a good headed chance too. Then we sat back and allowed them back in after they looked down and lost. Maxi disappeared again, Kuyt shirked challenges and the defence looked ropey all game. It's hard to see this set up making real progress.

Guest San Don
I think we had won 5 of the last 8 which was the best in the Prem bar Arsenal they said on ESPN so I suppose you could argue this was fairly true.

Actually watching all of those games may give you a different opinion.

I am genuinely baffled by tonights performance as I thought we were ready to take the game over completely on the hour mark & then it all seemed to fizzle away.

A combination of Nando's shocking miss & a few defensive ricks & we just seemed to capitulate.

I'd question whether those 5 in 8 include the Europa League which let's face it, is no better than Championship quality in the Group stage.

As for we just seemed to capitulate, that, to me, is symtomatic of players who wont go through a brick wall for the manager.

Guest San Don
I think we had won 5 of the last 8 which was the best in the Prem bar Arsenal they said on ESPN so I suppose you could argue this was fairly true.

Actually watching all of those games may give you a different opinion.

I am genuinely baffled by tonights performance as I thought we were ready to take the game over completely on the hour mark & then it all seemed to fizzle away.

A combination of Nando's shocking miss & a few defensive ricks & we just seemed to capitulate.

I'd question whether those 5 in 8 include the Europa League which let's face it, is no better than Championship quality in the Group stage.

As for we just seemed to capitulate, that, to me, is symtomatic of players who wont go through a brick wall for the manager.

Our team of 2 seasons ago would walk the league this year. Think we beat newcastle 5-1 that year. This 4-4-2 system he plays clearly doesn't work away from home, we could all see that after 1 league game.

Because Maxi and Dirk play so narrow and congest the midfield, it's more of a 4-2-2-2 system. And our strikers don't make runs to the wings, which would make sense.

And yes, its shit.

Because Maxi and Dirk play so narrow and congest the midfield, it's more of a 4-2-2-2 system. And our strikers don't make runs to the wings, which would make sense.

And yes, its shit.

You would think that with such a narrow front 6 it would be imperative to get good width from the fullbacks. He then signs konchesky. Clueless. Has he ever asked himself why he has such a shit away record?

Another negative result, and another forum meltdown. Time to post an honest view of the game now.

Thought it wasn't a shite performance, and we were very unlucky to lose. With 10 minutes remaining, I couldn't see us losing. We defended well in the second half, and looked like getting at least a point.

First goal looked offside, but despite the early goal, we came more into the game, with one shot cleared off the line, and had at least one decent penalty appeal turned down, possibly two.

Second half started well, great play by Kuyt to create the chance which we scored, had a great chance soon afterwards that the old Torres of two years ago would have put away in his sleep, not the half-fit, half-bothered Torres of today. Had it gone in, we could have gone on and scored another few and wrapped it up early.

Instead with 10 minutes to go, a catastrophic set of defensive errors dropped the point we had. The third goal was, as usual in the circumstances, an irrelevance. Despite the scoreline, Newcastle have their own problems, and weren't a side two goals better than us. The game was a contest until injury time.

Back to home comforts in midweek, Utrecht sees a quick opportunity to rebuild confidence, and make another restart on the journey to the side's recovery.

Guest ShoePiss

An honest view? No, what you should say is you've decided to drive your muck spreader through the forum. I had you pegged right from your very first post where you decided your thread should be the UEFA cup thread for the entire forum. Destination fuckwit.

It wasn't unluckly, it was an out of sorts Torres and absolute shite defending that cost us points

Newcastle 3-1 Liverpool: Liverpool unable to cope with aerial power of Carroll | Zonal Marking

Conclusion

Failure to deal with Carroll was Liverpool’s main problem. The sloppiness at marking him properly for the early free-kick suggests a lack of organisation, a lack of foresight or a lack of communication. Whichever is closest to the truth, it doesn’t reflect well on Hodgson and his coaching staff.

Failure to deal with Carroll was indeed our problem so Hodgson decided to send Kyrgiakos up front for the last 10 minutes.

GOAL!

I heard Roy in the BBC interview say something like "It is not good enough for a team who want to finish in the top half of the table."

The what? So our success criteria is a top half finish? I don't see why we are suddenly aiming lower than we achieved last season.

While I was watching the game the other night (and also while watching us away to spurs) I had the feeling that we were far too open. I'm so used to us controlling games and having a rigid defensive mechanism, I actually feel uncomfortable watching us play away from home. I almost felt seasick watching us against spurs because the ball is just flying all over the place left, right, front, back - we never seem to slow the game down anymore, welll not until we end up losing the game with late goals and then we just stop playing altogether.

After years of watching a very defensive (yet fairly successful Liverpool side) I thought I was ready for something a bit more expansive but there needs to be a balance. Basically, this is how teams like Blackpool and Tottenham defend. The difference between us and Tottenham is that they are scoring goals to compensate for the goals they concede and while they are great to watch, unless they actually win something then they're essentially just Newcastle under Keegan. Which makes us similar to Blackpool. We have a go and play some decent football but ultimately we are not defending as a team and we're conceding so many goals.

We're a mid table team, with a mid table manager paying mid table football, defending like a mid table team.

actually we're worse than Blackpool

9 Liverpool W1 D2 L6 6 16 -10

10 Blackpool W4 D2 L4 13 18 -5

Fulham away from last season V our away form this season (frightening!)

15th Fulham Played 19 W1 D7 L11 GF12 GA31 -19 10pts

17th Liverpool Played 9 W1 D2 L6 GF6 GA16 -10 5pts

I think we can conclude that Roy Hodgson does not know how to win away from home in the premier league.

Another negative result, and another forum meltdown. Time to post an honest view of the game now.

Thought it wasn't a shite performance, and we were very unlucky to lose. With 10 minutes remaining, I couldn't see us losing. We defended well in the second half, and looked like getting at least a point.

First goal looked offside, but despite the early goal, we came more into the game, with one shot cleared off the line, and had at least one decent penalty appeal turned down, possibly two.

Second half started well, great play by Kuyt to create the chance which we scored, had a great chance soon afterwards that the old Torres of two years ago would have put away in his sleep, not the half-fit, half-bothered Torres of today. Had it gone in, we could have gone on and scored another few and wrapped it up early.

Instead with 10 minutes to go, a catastrophic set of defensive errors dropped the point we had. The third goal was, as usual in the circumstances, an irrelevance. Despite the scoreline, Newcastle have their own problems, and weren't a side two goals better than us. The game was a contest until injury time.

Back to home comforts in midweek, Utrecht sees a quick opportunity to rebuild confidence, and make another restart on the journey to the side's recovery.

Are you Roy?

How many times can we keep on saying the above bit which I've highlighted. We turn more corners than a milkman doing his round on a council estate.

Enough's enough. We have won 1 game away this season, fucking 1. Guess what, even if we do beat a no mark side from the Dutch league on Wednesday, and maybe stick a couple past Fulham on Saturday, in a couple of weeks time when we lose away to Balckpool you'll be saying all of this again. It's not good enough. His away record is not something which he's developed this season, it's a characteristic of his managerial career in England. Thing's are not going to change. We either resign ourselves to a diabolical away record with his tenure or we do the right thing and make the change that we so so desperately need. It's not working.

The coach journey to Newcastle was far more entertaining than the actual performance we gave on the pitch. How anyone can take any positives out of the result or performance is beyond me.

Paying hundreds of pounds on away tickets this season is bad enough, but being subjected to the shite performances just makes things worse.

P.S. Has anyone seen the price of the Blackburn away game? £37! Fuck off you chicken robbing twats - West Ham fans only have to pay £15 for there's.