You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

André Villas Boas (Manager)

Roger Hunt

If he wanted the job (which I really dont think he did) before Kenny signed a new contract, who would have took him over Kenny?

Its a hard dilemma, imagine he does go on to be a top class manager for the next 30 years at another club..knowing he could have been ours.

On the other hand we got the King back so every things looking up. How long can Kenny go on for in your opinion? (realistically)

I'd be happy with ten years, not greedy like.

If he wanted the job (which I really dont think he did) before Kenny signed a new contract, who would have took him over Kenny?

Its a hard dilemma, imagine he does go on to be a top class manager for the next 30 years at another club..knowing he could have been ours.

On the other hand we got the King back so every things looking up. How long can Kenny go on for in your opinion? (realistically)

I would have been tempted.

Boas has said that he only wants to manage for the next ten years himself. So there's no reason to think Kenny couldn't last as long as that, provided he's doing a good job of it and stays healthy.

Ferguson will be the last manager that stays so long in such a high profile job. Even Guardiola wont be at Barca for much longer, I think it's why the role of DOF is so important now.

Boas has said that he only wants to manage for the next ten years himself. So there's no reason to think Kenny couldn't last as long as that, provided he's doing a good job of it and stays healthy.

Ferguson will be the last manager that stays so long in such a high profile job. Even Guardiola wont be at Barca for much longer, I think it's why the role of DOF is so important now.

He's only new to it all tho, he may have a amazing 10 years in the game and think, maybe I should stay on and create myself an unbeatable legacy.

As for Guardiola the only reason he isnt expected to stay at Barca very long is in Spain he believes that between Madrid and Barca they have 4-5 year cycles where one team is more dominant than the other (with exception to other teams joining in eg Valencia) so he believes Barca will only be on top for another year or 2 maximum.

He's only new to it all tho, he may have a amazing 10 years in the game and think, maybe I should stay on and create myself an unbeatable legacy.

As for Guardiola the only reason he isnt expected to stay at Barca very long is in Spain he believes that between Madrid and Barca they have 4-5 year cycles where one team is more dominant than the other (with exception to other teams joining in eg Valencia) so he believes Barca will only be on top for another year or 2 maximum.

He's been in the game since he was 16. Either way, its very unlikely that he'll manage any club for ten years.

4-5 year cycles are pretty much the norm now for managers all around Europe.

• 4 weeks later...
Portuguese press reporting he's going to be Chelsea's new boss. Hope not, really see him having a huge future in the game.

Not surprising to be honest. Even when Hiddink and others were getting linked, deep down I remained convinced they will get Villas Boas.

English league is a miles difficult compared to Portuguese league though - would be interesting how he does here.

Portuguese press reporting he's going to be Chelsea's new boss. Hope not, really see him having a huge future in the game.

@ianprior (Guardian)

Reports in Portuguese paper Record say Chelsea have paid off Porto manager Andre Villas-Boas's 15m euro release clause. Unconfirmed as yet

I think he'll do absolutely brilliant for them. Gutted.

Never know. I agree that most of the things are pointing to him being a success at Chelsea but I think he will be much better off staying at Porto for a year or two before taking a club like Chelsea and the huge pressure that comes with it.

Could go either way I reckon.

Never know. I agree that most of the things are pointing to him being a success at Chelsea but I think he will be much better off staying at Porto for a year or two before taking a club like Chelsea and the huge pressure that comes with it.

Could go either way I reckon.

I was hoping that he'd head out to Italy, and then Real Madrid after they sack Jose Mourinho.

I was hoping that he'd head out to Italy, and then Real Madrid after they sack Jose Mourinho.

He might be better off that way. Chelsea need a revamp of their squad right now and even after that, it will still have massive headed players like Terry, Lampard, Cole, Drogba to name a few. Ancelotti got sacked this season after winning the double last year and Ancelotti knows full well about managing a top club, even before he came to Chelsea.

Like I said, he will be much better off staying at Porto for another season or even two, before moving ANYWHERE. If he moves to Chelsea, I wouldn't say its a foregone conclusion that he will be a success. It could easily go either way and considering how young he is, it will be a shame if he gets his reputation ruined by getting the sack from Chelsea in 6 or 12 months (if it goes wrong of course).

He might be better off that way. Chelsea need a revamp of their squad right now and even after that, it will still have massive headed players like Terry, Lampard, Cole, Drogba to name a few. Ancelotti got sacked this season after winning the double last year and Ancelotti knows full well about managing a top club, even before he came to Chelsea.

Like I said, he will be much better off staying at Porto for another season or even two, before moving ANYWHERE. If he moves to Chelsea, I wouldn't say its a foregone conclusion that he will be a success. It could easily go either way and considering how young he is, it will be a shame if he gets his reputation ruined by getting the sack from Chelsea in 6 or 12 months (if it goes wrong of course).

So is Uncle Guus still coming in as the HoF or something? That would be interesting.

Yeah, it was a fucking terrible move for his former mentor Jose Mourinho.

Maybe his mentor can give him a few tips about working with a megalomaniacal russian oligarch? Maybe he can tell him what to do when that oligarch lands an overly-expensive, over the hill, unwanted striker on his lap? Maybe he can give him directions to the job center when he fails to win the cl?

He's not Mouronho. He'll never even come close to being Mourinho in the eyes of the Chelsea fans.

I'd rather stay at Porto for now.

Not surprised he is going there, though a little bit surprised he went now as opposed to wait another year or so.

IF he is allowed to just get on with his job, I think he will do very well. Abramovic's record suggests he will get a free reign for a year or so before he starts interfering.

Another paper in Portugal suggests he will bring Falcão with him, who I think would be a great signing.

We'll see

Wouldn't surprise me as I remember reading recently that he was consulted about a few buys Chelsea made or about to make.

Uncle Guus coming in would make it even more difficult for AVB in my opinion.

Well, maybe, but it's an almighty big safety net for Chelsea, should it all go tits up

Course it is. Its better to have Hiddink to turn onto than an Avram Grant!

Ah, Avram. When he replaced Mourinho at Chelsea I laughed my tits off.

Glorious and the final proof for the deluded Chelsea fans and players, if it was ever needed, that Abramovich will do to that club exactly what he wants.