You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How do you like your Steak cooked?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like your Steak cooked?

Rare for me and rib-eye or T-bone, properly rested.

Tou should also oil the steak not the pan and use a good quality griddle pan.

Only put the butter in just before the end, you want a nice beurre noisette but the pan should be so hot it would burn the butter if you put it in too early.

Aye.

Thats basically what I meant to say but it doesn't read like that the way I wrote it sorry. Butter should go in last minute

Agree on oiling the steak not griddle pan (same goes for anything on a griddle).

The oil in a frying pan method is purely for ensuring the steak doesn't stick (and for ensuring the later-added butter doesn't burn), the oil doesn't do anything flavour wise to the steak.

Chose the Medium Well option, but I'm referring to lamb as I don't eat moomeat. People who choose rare or blue really make me wonder what's the point of introducing the steak to a hot pan. It's for half-arsed or impatient types. I don't give a fuck what the foodie snobs say.

Aye.

Thats basically what I meant to say but it doesn't read like that the way I wrote it sorry. Butter should go in last minute

Agree on oiling the steak not griddle pan (same goes for anything on a griddle).

The oil in a frying pan method is purely for ensuring the steak doesn't stick (and for ensuring the later-added butter doesn't burn), the oil doesn't do anything flavour wise to the steak.

Very good points, like your first post.

I have a huge cast iron griddle pan that sits over two hobs on top the cooker, cooks a steak beautifully.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I hate the fat on a steak. I actualy cut it off before I cook it.

Not talking about the bit on the outside. It's the marbling throughout the meat.

I eat fillet steak and sirloin rare in a nice place or when I do it at home.

Rib eye has got to be medium - well though because of all the fat in it. Nothing worse than a big lump of uncooked fat.

If I eat in a cheaper place then its medium well all day long. You dont know how long that shit has been sitting there.

Oh and those who like butter (nicked from the boy Heston) sandwich slices of butter between a few slices of cheese (preferably a blue cheese but anything strong enough and nutty enough for the butter to absorb the flavour of, leave in the fridge for a bit to take in the flavour. Cook and rest your steak then remove the butter from the cheese and either brush a bit over the steak or cut a thin slice and let it melt over.

Not too much so it masks the meat but enough to enhance the flavour.

For veg, mushrooms and spinach every time, with new poatatoes and butter. No sauce, just some hot english mustard.

Garlic mushrooms and curly fries for me, definitely no sauce, it's a waste of a good bit of meat, just a bit of pepper freshly ground onto both sides before I cook it does the trick for me, none of this peppercorn sauce nonsense.

Guest davelfc

I've moved from well done to just before that stage. I've been to some fancy restaurants (I wasn't paying) and had a raw slab of meat with a little searing outside and didn't like that at all. If I walk into the place in just an animal skin and holding a club then that's fine.

I also took a lot of stick for ordering a well done steak when everyone else wanted medium or rare. They claimed mine would take longer but I've since been told that all steak needs to sit for a while after cooking. Their steaks would have sat longer than mine.

I've moved from well done to just before that stage. I've been to some fancy restaurants (I wasn't paying) and had a raw slab of meat with a little searing outside and didn't like that at all. If I walk into the place in just an animal skin and holding a club then that's fine.

I also took a lot of stick for ordering a well done steak when everyone else wanted medium or rare. They claimed mine would take longer but I've since been told that all steak needs to sit for a while after cooking. Their steaks would have sat longer than mine.

You reckon? Or you reckon they would have started to cook your steak first?

• Upvote 1

I like the sound of this butter basting. Will be trying that next time.

The way I've always done my steak is room temperature, well, out of the fridge for a bit anyway top take the chill off it. splash of olive oil both sides, then some salt and pepper and then into a hot pan for two or three minutes either side, depending on the thickness of the cunt and then out of the pan into some tinfoil for another few minutes. Nice and pink in the middle but not marbly.

Sometimes a dollop of sour cream and chive to go along with it.

Topical thread as I am heading to town on Saturday for a birthday drink with all the lads and we are breaking the day up with a trip to Meet. Fillet steak for me which I will order as medium as it's a proper steak house. Most places I order steak from though I will get medium well.

The finest steak I ever had was from an Argentinian steak house called Gauchos in Amsterdam, I am drooling now just thinking about the fillet steak from there. They also have a restaurant in Manchester and several in London if anyone is ever looking for a top class steak:

Gaucho - The Finest Argentine Steaks - Restaurants in London and Manchester

Which steak do you guys usually go for?

Rump

Sirloin

T-Bone

Rib Eye

Fillet

It's fillet all the way for me, the finest cut, no fat, no waste. With chips, peppercorn sauce, onion rings, mushrooms and some rocket.

Gaucho in Manchester is ace - we've been eating there on and off for fifteen years.

My favourite steak is the T-bone as it has the fatty flavour of the ribeye and the succulence of fillet combined. However, you rarely see it on menus in this country and I wouldn't trust most British restaurants to cook it. So it's rib-eye all the way for me.

When we cook it at home, I let it come up to room temperature seasoned on both sides with pepper and a touch of olive oil (I salt it after cooking to stop it contracting and losing moisture during the cooking process). Then I get that pan smoking hot and throw the steaks in. Timing depends on the thickness, but I just use the finger grip test to get it right (works every time).

I serve them with tomatoes and mushrooms - cooked in the meat fat while the steak rests - and loads of rocket dressed with a sweet Balsamic and a peppery extra virgin olive oil. If I'm feeling extra hungry, a handful of chips/fried potatoes get slung on there, but usually the steak and bits are enough for me. Everything then gets salted as meat, toms, potatoes and shrooms are the four food groups that absolutely always taste better with salt, in my opinion.

I'm fucking starving.