You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Why did Porto let him leave then?

So your sticking by calling Meireles a great player. I certaintly don't think he's a great player, he's good from what i've seen with us but i wasn't too arsed when he left, drifted in and out of games too much for my liking.

All about opinions though so it'll be interesting to see how he gets on this season.

Meireles wanted a new experience after 6 years at Porto, he did not want to sign a new contract, he had one year left and Porto allowed him to leave because of that, they got reasonable money for him as well considering his contract situation, we cant say the same.

People keep saying he is almost 30, well he is 28 going into his prime as a footballer, so not only were we stupid to sell him, we got a shite price as well.

• Downvote 1

I know my Portuguese football and if you think Porto told him to find a new club you could not be more wrong.

What our management have told him to do does not really reflect the players qualities either, I`m not really overly impressed with our signings this summer considering the money we have spent and that tells me more about our managements ideas when it comes to players as opposed to a single sale or buy.

In my opinion we have made a massive mistake in the Meireles case.

86.png

Meireles wanted a new experience after 6 years at Porto, he did not want to sign a new contract, he had one year left and Porto allowed him to leave because of that, they got reasonable money for him as well considering his contract situation, we cant say the same.

People keep saying he is almost 30, well he is 28 going into his prime as a footballer, so not only were we stupid to sell him, we got a shite price as well.

What did we pay about 11million? Did anyone else come in for him and by the sounds of it he wasn't on great wages, doesn't sound like he was in much demand around Europe.

I mean if you rate him as a great player then where was everyone when he was gagging for a new club.

You'd be hard pressed to find a statistic for tackling that favours Meireles, what with him being a HUGE FUCKING SHITHOUSE.

You are correct. But the pleb still said to me he was the PL highest tackler or something.

I dont believe that unless it was the stat for most tackles went in for and lost!

What did we pay about 11million? Did anyone else come in for him and by the sounds of it he wasn't on great wages, doesn't sound like he was in much demand around Europe.

I mean if you rate him as a great player then where was everyone when he was gagging for a new club.

Not to be seen to defend code here, but that argument is the most overused, asinine, simplistic load of shite.

So it's Comolli's word vs Meireles. Meireles said he didn't want to leave (files transfer request). Comolli says Meireles came to him and said he didn't want to play for Liverpool anymore (understandable since we didn't pay him what he wanted). So not to pick sides, but I'm going to just accept the fact that Meireles is no longer our player. The debate on his ability doesn't seem relevant anymore since he's not our player. I am not arsed about him anymore since, yep, he no longer plays for my team.

Guest SpiderLucas

Sky Sports did a newspaper round up and it showed, and talked about Raul Meireles’ page spread in The S*N not sure if he gave them an exclusive or if they picked it up from another source.

Sky Sports did a newspaper round up and it showed, and talked about Raul Meireles’ page spread in The S*N not sure if he gave them an exclusive or if they picked it up from another source.

According to the BBC, it was his official unveiling, so I'd say all the media were there.

BBC Sport - Chelsea's Raul Meireles accuses former club Liverpool

But even at his official Chelsea unveiling on Monday, the Portugal international was reluctant to reveal details.

Firmly believe we have fucked up forcing the lad out and that we will regret it, but he's gone now so there is sod all we can do.

I'd really like to see us give Henderson a run in the middle of the park. I think he has all the attributes to be better then Meireles in the long term, but if we insist on playing him out of position then we may as well just sell him now, as he'll never fullfill his true potential. Out of the midfielders we have left, Henderson is the most talented with the best chance of been at that top level. Apart from Stevie obviously.

We didn't force him out, he asked for a transfer.

Why? Because like Torres he wanted CL football and had his head turned by Chelsea.

All reports indicate he wanted to stay, including reports in the press and direct quotes from the man himself.

Why would he force a move to Chelsea only to start life in his new club by going on about how he wanted to stay at Liverpool? Hardly a way to endear himself to the fans of a club he wanted to move to so badly?

It's quite obvious that the message he was receiving was that he wasn't wanted, in the shape of the club refusing to start talks on an improved deal he was originally promised.

Tough tactics by us, but Kenny obviously didn't feel he needed him, so that's the way it went. But you're kidding yourself if you believe he wasn't perfectly happy to stay at Liverpool, he's talking like a guy who was settled, doing pretty well and enjoying playing for us.

Ming is a very good footballer and I am sad he left because he was also - in Gerrard's absence - probably the best central midfielder at the club.

The reasons for him leaving are certainly a bit murky - and probably numerous - but it's been clear for a while that one of the reasons he left is because Kenny didn't fancy him as much as he perhaps he probably should have.

Still, our loss is Chelsea's gain and he'll do well there.

All reports indicate he wanted to stay, including reports in the press and direct quotes from the man himself.

Why would he force a move to Chelsea only to start life in his new club by going on about how he wanted to stay at Liverpool? Hardly a way to endear himself to the fans of a club he wanted to move to so badly?

It's quite obvious that the message he was receiving was that he wasn't wanted, in the shape of the club refusing to start talks on an improved deal he was originally promised.

Tough tactics by us, but Kenny obviously didn't feel he needed him, so that's the way it went. But you're kidding yourself if you believe he wasn't perfectly happy to stay at Liverpool, he's talking like a guy who was settled, doing pretty well and enjoying playing for us.

The day after he went to Chelsea Anne Eaves (football journo) was talking about how she didn't feel that he would ask for a transfer or higher wages, but Kelly Cates (was Dalglish) questioned her and said how did she know what happened? Anne replied she didn't, she was just expressing her idea on it all. Kelly replied well I'll guess you will never know. Which to me suggests that it wasn't the innovate victim Raul is claiming to be. And I would also say Kelly has a more accurate take on things than most on here.

I believe that he did himself no favours by going public over his wage demands, and when he wasn't going to get the wages he wanted he put in a request. If he didn't want to leave he could have knocked Chelsea back. He should shut up and focus on his new team.

I like Merieles as a player, but I don't think he will be missed as much as people are making out.

We didn't force him out, he asked for a transfer.

Why? Because like Torres he wanted CL football and had his head turned by Chelsea.

Come on mate. Don't try that line "he wanted out because he asked for a transfer". That's a very lazy way of arguing.

It is painfuly obvious that he wanted to stay. He's in London now and no doubt pissing off his new teams fans by saying he never wanted to leave us. Why on earth would he do that? And don't say because he doesnt want to look bad in front of our eyes as he was here for only 1 season and will barely have had the chance to build up a major affinity for us.

You know he wanted to stay as well as I do. He wanted his payrise, which if the figures are correct, I think he deserved. It has then been said in many reports hat Dalglish didn't fancy him and so shipped him out. I reckon this could prove to be a big mistake.

That should be innocent victim, not innovate. Bastard i-phone predictive text.

There’s no “victim” in this as he’s still moved on to a top club on great money. But the lad wanted to stay. That is painfully obvious. Kenny didn’t want him and so shipped him out. Fair enough, a manager lives and dies by his decisions. I just think it’s a poor decision and we would have been better served to have had the lad as he’s the best midfielder we had bar Stevie.

Come on mate. Don't try that line "he wanted out because he asked for a transfer". That's a very lazy way of arguing.

It is painfuly obvious that he wanted to stay. He's in London now and no doubt pissing off his new teams fans by saying he never wanted to leave us. Why on earth would he do that? And don't say because he doesnt want to look bad in front of our eyes as he was here for only 1 season and will barely have had the chance to build up a major affinity for us.

You know he wanted to stay as well as I do. He wanted his payrise, whioch if the figures are correct, I think he deserved. I reckon this could prove to be a big mistake.

I am not sure he did deserve a pay rise on what he stated was agreed woth Hodgson and Purslow. He said that he was told if he did well that season he would get one. Now for me 6 or 7 games on the bounce of good performances does not warrant the demands he did.

He went public and that is a no-no. He asked for a transfer because we would not give in. If he didn't want to leave he could have stayed. It's that plain and simple for me.

If he does feel hard done to, then he needs to have a word with his agent, because he never got that agreement put into his contract when he signed.

I'm with Kenny and the club on this one all the way.