You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I think we can challenge for the title next season.

Despite Torres being a perma-crock? Despite Carra being a year older? Gerrard out of form? I could go on you know.

Ultimately our squad doesn't have the strength in depth for a title challenge, I think the top four would be an achievement and then some.

Ngog, Babel, the Greek with the unspellable name, Kuyt, Lucas and anyone else who isn't good enough and would bring in some cash. Use the cash to buy two first team players, preferably left back and a forward.

We've been making a profit on transfers for a while now :wallbutt: When will the fucking penny drop? I can't believe people are still gullible enough to believe that money made on selling players will go straight back into transfer funds!

Really? One newspaper (The Telegraph I think) said it was the most in the Premiership.

LIVERPOOL SQUAD: GOALKEEPERS

* Diego Cavalieri

* Jose Manuel Reina

* Martin Hansen

* Peter Gulacsi

* Dean Bouzanis

* David Martin

LIVERPOOL SQUAD: DEFENDERS

* Glen Johnson

* Daniel Agger

* Fabio Aurelio

* Sotirios Kyrgiakos

* Emiliano Insua

* Jamie Carragher

* Philipp Degen

* Stephen Darby

* Martin Kelly

* Steven Irwin

* Martin Skrtel

* Robbie Threlfall

* Daniel Sanchez Ayala

* Jack Robinson

LIVERPOOL SQUAD: MIDFIELDERS

* Alberto Aquilani

* Steven Gerrard

* Albert Riera

* Yossi Benayoun

* Maxi Rodriguez

* Javier Mascherano

* Lucas

* Jay Spearing

* Damien Plessis

* Nabil El Zhar

* Alex Kacaniklic

* Gerardo Bruna

LIVERPOOL SQUAD: FORWARDS

* Fernando Torres

* Dirk Kuyt

* Ryan Babel

* David N'Gog

* Nathan Eccleston

* David Amoo

* Daniel Pacheco

ARSENAL SQUAD: GOALKEEPERS

* Manuel Almunia

* Lukasz Fabianski

* Vito Mannone

* James Shea

ARSENAL SQUAD: DEFENDERS

* Bacary Sagna

* Thomas Vermaelen

* William Gallas

* Mikael Silvestre

* Johan Djourou

* Gael Clichy

* Emmanuel Eboue

* Armand Traore

* Sol Campbell

* Kyle Bartley

* Thomas Cruise

* Craig Eastmond

* Cedric Evina

* Kerrea Gilbert

* Luke Ayling

ARSENAL SQUAD: MIDFIELDERS

* Abou Diaby

* Cesc Fabregas

* Tomas Rosicky

* Samir Nasri

* Denilson

* Aaron Ramsey

* Alexandre Song

* Andrey Arshavin

* Kieran Gibbs

* Fran Merida

* Nacer Barazite

* Francis Coquelin

* Jay Emmanuel-Thomas

* Emmanuel Frimpong

* Conor Henderson

* Henri Lansbury

* Sanchez Watt

ARSENAL SQUAD: FORWARDS

* Eduardo

* Robin van Persie

* Carlos Vela

* Theo Walcott

* Luke Freeman

* Rhys Murphy

* Gilles Sunu

* Nicklas Bendtner

MAN UTD SQUAD: GOALKEEPERS

* Edwin van der Sar

* Ben Foster

* Tomasz Kuszczak

* Ron-Robert Zieler

MAN UTD SQUAD: DEFENDERS

* Gary Neville

* Patrice Evra

* Rio Ferdinand

* Wes Brown

* Nemanja Vidic

* Fabio

* Rafael

* John O'Shea

* Jonny Evans

* Ritchie De Laet

* Corry Evans

* David Gray

* Craig Cathcart

* James Chester

* Joe Dudgeon

* Oliver Gill

MAN UTD SQUAD: MIDFIELDERS

* Owen Hargreaves

* Anderson

* Ryan Giggs

* Park Ji-Sung

* Michael Carrick

* Nani

* Paul Scholes

* Darren Fletcher

* Luis Antonio Valencia

* Darron Gibson

* Magnus Eikrem

* Matthew James

* Cameron Stewart

* Oliver Norwood

MAN UTD SQUAD: FORWARDS

* Michael Owen

* Dimitar Berbatov

* Wayne Rooney

* Gabriel Obertan

* Federico Macheda

* Mame Biram Diouf

* Joshua King

* Javier Hernandez

Yes I think we can challenge for the title next season.

Skunk?

I just think that people suddenly think 7th is our true position, when that is clearly not the case, we were under performing - vastly!

Almost the same squad challenged for the title two seasons ago.

Yes we need to get everyone firing on all cylinders, such as Gerrard - but let's remember when we did challenge two season's ago Torres and Gerrard played very few games together if I recall.

When you have players such as Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Agger, Skrtel, Mascherano, Lucas, Riera, Babel, Kuyt, Aquilani, Gerrard, Torres etc - you should be looking to challenge for the title.

Add a Joe Cole, Jovanovic. a new left back, upgrading two of Riera, Babel or Kuyt and we should have a squad that can challenge - maybe not win the league, but a challenge I think is what we are capable of.

I expect a minimum top 4 finish and a good run in all cups regardless of signings or sales as that should always be the minimum expected

I would have to agree that we would have done excellent business if we added Joe Cole to Jovanovic i would like to se Figueroa or similar LB signed if we are cashing in on Insua and as has been said on here you could sell half a dozen so called Squad players who never get near the first team that would bring in decent money to add to what we have to spend

Should we sell Masch then you would be looking at serious money and if that was allocated to player signings then Roy would have been given enough backing to turn last seasons poor show around should he spend it well

Its pointless having a pop at each other over whether the class is half full or half empty lets see what happens over the next couple of weeks

Some people are never happy are they.

Most people (on this site especially) have been slating Insua left right and centre, but people are still trying to use his sale as a stick to beat the owners / purslow / broughton / SoS / any other fucker with.

It's not that people are never happy, people don't want to be happy at all.

All we've heard for the past 2 years, is no money for players, everyone will flee out of L4 OTH, rumours of administration, club will never be sold, another "Leeds", utter armageddon at every turn.

What is the reality?

We have got rid of someone who lost to Portsmouth, Reading, and Sunderland last year, relegated us to UEFA Cup football this year, that cost us 20 million in the process, and who reduced a ten-year old Kopite to tears live on tv. (v Reading)

We've replaced him with a UEFA Cup finalist with a proven track record of turning water into wine at most teams he's been at in the past.

We've secured the EPL's record sponsorship deal.

We've got a Liverpool fan running the club, keeping the banks onside.

We've got a BA executive painstakingly overseeing the imminent sale of the club.

We also have England's WC captain, and the World Cup's leading striker on board.

While there are many problems, there are also some grounds for optimism. Some of them have been resolved, others are a work in progress. There will be setbacks obviously, but I can see the direction the club is trying to go in and while it's far from perfect atm, it's not as bad as it's being made out to be.

All we've heard for the past 2 years, is no money for players, everyone will flee out of L4 OTH, rumours of administration, club will never be sold, another "Leeds", utter armageddon at every turn.

What is the reality?

We have got rid of someone who lost to Portsmouth, Reading, and Sunderland last year, relegated us to UEFA Cup football this year, that cost us 20 million in the process, and who reduced a ten-year old Kopite to tears live on tv. (v Reading)

We've replaced him with a UEFA Cup finalist with a proven track record of turning water into wine at most teams he's been at in the past.

We've got a BA executive painstakingly overseeing the imminent sale of the club.

We also have England's WC captain, and the World Cup's leading striker on board.

While there are many problems, there are also some grounds for optimism. Some of them have been resolved, others are a work in progress. There will be setbacks obviously, but I can see the direction the club is trying to go in and while it's far from perfect atm, it's not as bad as it's being made out to be.

And when did David Villa (World Cup leading striker) sign for us? as I thought he had gone to Barcalona.

So in his 6 years in charge he a) lost some games to weak teams b) had a poor season and c) was rude to a child. Those are some damning charges you've amassed there.

UEFA Cup finalist vs Champions League winner, plus water into wine? Yeah in the Swedish league.

To help pay our ballooning interest payments

Purslow? Are you serious?

A Chelsea fan who has been promising "imminent sale" for a while now

England happened to fail spectacularly, and I don't even know who you are referring to with that second bit. Perhaps Kuyt? Maybe Jovanovic?

Retard.

So in his 6 years in charge he a) lost some games to weak teams b) had a poor season and c) was rude to a child. Those are some damning charges you've amassed there.

I could amass a few more, but I'd run the risk of running out of post space.

UEFA Cup finalist vs Champions League winner, plus water into wine? Yeah in the Swedish league.

I think it's a bit more than the Swedish League in fairness. What did we win last year? What finals did we reach? CL? UEFA? FA? LC? Do spill.

To help pay our ballooning interest payments

We're in debt, like many people and organisations around the world. If you're in debt, you have to pay interest, regardless who or what you are. Page 1 of economics.

A Chelsea fan who has been promising "imminent sale" for a while now

I said it was a work in progress. I see a bit more to him than simply "a Chelsea fan"

England happened to fail spectacularly

That's England's problem.

I think we should be challenging for the title from the first game, none of this "lets try and get a top four place" bullshit as it leaves room for error and might prevent the players from going for it with their all. If we get a good start I actually think we will be challenging for the title at somepoint, but it'll only last a month or two.

I find it hard to comprehend that people are talking about a title challenge at this moment in time.

Come September 1st and the likes of Mascherano, Torres and Gerrard are still here and we've added a few decent players to bolster the squad, then yeah i'd think we'd be capable of having a decent season as in, top 6 with a good cup run.

A title challenge that lasts a month or two? Purslow would be proud of those new rules.

Haha, I just can't get my hopes up for stuff like that again, the season before last crushed me once it'd slipped beyond us near the end. Still hurts to think of it now.

What is the reality?

I think that is one of the most disturbing things I've ever read.

As I've said before, it's only a matter of time, and one veeeeeery small step from the contents of that post to a statement which says "the owners have been better for us than Benitez". It's coming.

I think that is one of the most disturbing things I've ever read.

As I've said before, it's only a matter of time, and one veeeeeery small step from the contents of that post to a statement which says "the owners have been better for us than Benitez". It's coming.

Coming from who?

Nothing disturbing about it, but you and the last poster I replied to have merely confirmed everything I said in the opening paragraph of it. One fails to recognise that our No. 9 is a World/Euro champion at international level. No we have to be signing David Villa instead (who never wants to play EPL football, let alone LFC) for them to calm down.

All doom, gloom, and panic.

There is absolutely nothing to be positive about until the club's sold.

Our CEO, a man who has no acumen in terms of football, is running our transfers, and our owners' business model will leave us in financial decline for as long as they retain the team.

There is far more in place to support pessimism than optimism at this moment in time, and I think any fan who thinks that things are 'on the up' or what-have-you based on our dealings in the market so far, or based on promises made by representatives of an organisation with a track record for continually breaking promises, is completely disinterested in facing reality.

The teams around us are getting stronger because they have financial backing in place, and managers who get to decide who they want to play for the team. We have no money and our players are picked by a money-man who sees our club as his own version of championship manager. That is our reality based on the information available, and to think that it's a model for improvement on last season is the product of a logic I cannot understand.

Coming from who?

Nothing disturbing about it, but you and the last poster I replied to have merely confirmed everything I said in the opening paragraph of it. One fails to recognise that our No. 9 is a World/Euro champion at international level. No we have to be signing David Villa instead (who never wants to play EPL football, let alone LFC).

All doom, gloom, and panic.

If you need the massive holes in your arguments pointing out to you, then you really have problems.

In fact, reading your posts in this thread suggests to me that talking to you is like talking to someone who defends flying 'Planes into buildings as a good thing for humanity.

You are either being argumentative for the sake of, or you have a seriously distorted view of things.