You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't want to be anything other than neutral about Broughton at this stage, but that's just not right. You might as well say Tony Hayward will always get big jobs because BP got him lots of publicity. There really IS such a thing as bad publicity in the business world. That's one reason why I'm actually quite pleased Broughton is in charge of the process. He doesn't give a damn about what the football world thinks of him but he does the business world, and he doesn't need a cackhanded performance on his CV. 'Let's bring in Broughton - he lied on the record at Liverpool and failed to deliver!' You really can't just claim 'Oh, it doesn't matter one jot'. It does. That's not to say he is going to do this job as we want him to, but we do need to retain a sliver of logic when discussiing him.

But that's the point isn't it, the footballing world doesn't run in parrallel to that world so its immaterial.

Say he gets us sold for big money by someone with a bigger credit facility to Hicks and Gillete, who also then leverage us out again and asset strip us, then it has not effect on his stading, whereas we'll be in the shit.

Or say he asset strips us instead, getting good deals for Gerrard and making fat profits on Torres to Chelsea, Mascheano to united, Reina to Barca etc and Hicks and Gillete dont have to sell us anymore, deciding to run us more like Charlton and the business world gushes in praise in both cases about Broughton. The fans aren't a factore either as long as the vast majority keep handing money over.

They are just examples of course but show the idea, publicity is not much of an issue at LFC as we have seen the media turning a blind eye by and large to most of what has gone on, the people who mostly own most of the media like Murdoch are probably the kind of arsehole who would hang around with the likes of Hicks, so these issues we care about are not much of an issue to them.

Broughton is another who keeps that kind of company. Broughton has a job to sell the club to someone, like Moores did, can you tell me that Moores has a bad rep in the business world for what he decided to do with LFC?

I dont see what he could do in this job that would make him a Tony Hayward like figure, it's not that kind of a job in Broughton's mind, it's a quick no lose situation where he can be associated with a 'brand' like us, it's a business decision not because he supports us.

As I have also said its also perfectly possible he is Abramovichs' cheap plant to get Torres, he's a clever man is Roman. He know it's cheaper to pay Broughton £10 million and get Nando for £30 mill instead of £90 mill.

We don't know his exact job breif is but the stroy can be changed at any point, if he comes out and says we were close to administration when he came in and selling our best players was what kept us afloat, then the business world will still gush over him so it's nowhere near as clear cut as you make out and given he has been touting Torres and cannot bear to watch us play football agains the club he supports I cannot see where your optimism comes from.

Sorry Dennis but that's fucking rubbish. Where's the quotes from Roy saying this?

I said indicates, we exist to win trophies, he never said that did he? That man was talking that consolidation jive, we finished 7th last year and got nowhere near any trophies, yet we want to consolidate? The LFC that I know doesn't consolidate anything but trophies or at least have the ambition to come out and say they are trying/going to do so.

I seem to remember Owen's circumstances to be quite different. What are the parallels?

Now you're talking.

And what lies have Broughton told so far to make you trust him even less the the other three?

He's lied about Torres, trying to sell him to Chelsea, he's lied about transfer funds, liar liar liar, he's here to lie and that's what he will do. One of these days his lies are gonna lie all over you.

If Broughton is so concerned about his reputation and CV then why get involved with the likes of Hicks and Gillett in the first place?

I don't think he's got much to worry about when people like Michael Klein are happy to recommend him.

The truth is that I very much doubt Tony Evans would have been coming out with all this either if his mate Rafa was here or if his good mate Kenny was in charge now. Remember that Tony Evans also broke the story - when pushing for Kenny's appointment - that the King WILL (not may, but WILL) leave if he wasn't appointed as manager, and that's very much open to doubt at the moment

Whilst I don't doubt for a moment that Torres and Gerrard are seriously thinking about leaving, I'm also very sceptical about his claims that we'll be forced into selling Torres for £25m. I'm not sure that his current 'talking down' of the club is very helpful, just as his earlier 'talking up' of the club under Rafa's reign was also unhelpful in that it disguised a lot of the problems that were building up.

We'll see, I guess, but at the moment I'd say that he's allowing personal disappointment to influence his opinions. And that's the problem with so much writing about our club in the press at the moment - it seems so agenda-filled, regardless of the angle.

Edited by Royal Family

Broughton's links with Chelsea are a real conflict of interest here. Insider trading they call it in another world in which it is illegal

being a fan of another club doesn't make it a conflict of interest,if that was the case you could only sign players who supported your club.

the only reason torres will end up at chelsea is because he wants to be there no matter who the chairman is.

We'll see about Evans in time, he is the one who will live and die by coming out and saying this, cos no one will beleive him next time if hes not right, given he might know a bit, being the editor and all its fair to judge that if he is wrong we will see it, he's not the only one saying it though.

The truth is that I very much doubt Tony Evans would have been coming out with all this either if his mate Rafa was here or if his good mate Kenny was in charge now. Remember that Tony Evans also broke the story - when pushing for Kenny's appointment - that the King WILL (not may, but WILL) leave if he wasn't appointed as manager, and that's very much open to doubt at the moment.

Think it was Tony Barrett actually.

He's lied about Torres, trying to sell him to Chelsea, he's lied about transfer funds, liar liar liar, he's here to lie and that's what he will do. One of these days his lies are gonna lie all over you.

I think you need a lie down, dennis.

Agendas? You should stop messing about and just state what yours is.

If we're speculating, I'd say trying to create the appearance of having an inside track on journalism and/or the club, plus a general desire to elevate oneself above the hoi polloi that is one's fellow fans.

I Broughton/Barcap sent out the sales brochure to various parties he/Barcap thought would be interested, and to date they've not had a single reply. That doesn't mean nobody is interested, he said he wouldn't automatically expect a reply yet, but it also doesn't mean anybody IS interested.

Did he say that in the press conference? I thought Broughton said they hadn't received a bid yet, not that they hadn't received a reply.

But you stick to your optimism, I'm sure it brings great comfort to you.

Not really but I don't see the point of some sweaty journo with no evidence going on public record (repeatedly and on the same radio station, it transpires) moaning that this player and that player are to be sold. The sports editor of supposedly one of the finest newspapers in the country? He should pull his finger out of his fat sweaty arse, use his contacts and try fighting the cause, exposing H&G more, and Purslow and giving events like yesterday some national coverage if he gave a shit.

As for interested parties, didn't Broughton mention there were some during Roy's press conference?

H&G are a pair of lying cunts. Purslow seems to be much the same. We're surrounded by them at present. But Broughton hasn't lied to us, not yet. When he does I'll be the first to hold my hands up and say he's a twat but for now he's been brought in to do a job and he seems to be getting on with it. I'm not bigging Broughton up, I just remain optimistic and look forward to him doing his job and selling the club.

The furore from the fans is deafening. Bitching journos who purport to be Liverpool supporters could do a lot more to help than pour out doom and gloom on national radio.

And you lied about leaving the board if Hodgson was appointed....

As for interested parties, didn't Broughton mention there were some during Roy's press conference?

Didn't Broughton also say a while back, that any interest in the club would be dealt with privately and that speculation will remain just that until a deal is in place? Now he's dropping hints of this and that at a press conference unveiling the new manager.

Broughton was hired by Hicks and Gillett. I trust him as much as i do the rest of the cunts.

Not really but I don't see the point of some sweaty journo with no evidence going on public record (repeatedly and on the same radio station, it transpires) moaning that this player and that player are to be sold. The sports editor of supposedly one of the finest newspapers in the country? He should pull his finger out of his fat sweaty arse, use his contacts and try fighting the cause, exposing H&G more, and Purslow and giving events like yesterday some national coverage if he gave a shit.

Am used to reading about people respecting him and the way you refer to him there has had me in tears laughing for some reason.

I personally think he's got good reason to be down about things but has gone over the top and isn't remembering enough that both players love the club. They might want to leave right now but if one knows the other wants to stay on some level and they talk to eachother, they might both be with us next season. They might even see staying as the ultimate fuck you to some of the money-grubbing, two-faced clowns supposedly 'running' the club.

H&G are a pair of lying cunts. Purslow seems to be much the same. We're surrounded by them at present. But Broughton hasn't lied to us, not yet. When he does I'll be the first to hold my hands up and say he's a twat but for now he's been brought in to do a job and he seems to be getting on with it. I'm not bigging Broughton up, I just remain optimistic and look forward to him doing his job and selling the club.

The furore from the fans is deafening. Bitching journos who purport to be Liverpool supporters could do a lot more to help than pour out doom and gloom on national radio.

Isn't that what him going on that show was about?? Am I missing something here?

Look even in this innocent looking holiday brochure, Broughton cannot help himself.

Brant Broughton lies near the foot of the Lincoln Cliff, about 12 miles northwest of Sleaford, and its church spire, one of the most elegant in the county, draws visitors like a magnet.

As for the rest of what you said, it makes you sound like an ignorant prick, and up until today I never thought you were, despite the abuse you've had on here.

Sorry Jim (it is Jim isn't it?) but you're bang out of order there mate.

For starters I pretty much quoted Broughton about him saying there were interested parties. Now lets see if they come through. If they don't they don't but he indicated there are interested parties and I'll sit quietly for a couple of months to see what happens.

The main reason for the OP was to call a journo for what he sounded like: a red-top shitrag scaremonger know-nothing halfwit. I don't know the bloke and he might be a 'good red' but that doesn't make his pathetic whingeing on talkshite any more palletable.

You might really like Evans, you might think he's a top guy and you might even agree with everything he says but I fail to see how you can call me an ignorant prick. No need.

This is why I rarely get involved in political football threads on this site, because they degenerate into name calling and shit slinging. I expected more from you to be honest. No fucking need.