You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I have to add to that this is the kind of signing that's killing our club - paying absolutely massive wages to someone well past his best, with no resell value, and who is simply 'bed-blocking' - ie blocking the way for a youngster to be given games. Could Pacheco - or even Babel in that position, which I still think is his best - really be worse?

Completely agree and was just about to post the same.

Maxi offers us nothing whatsoever either in an atttacking or defensive sense.

At least you know Dirk is gonna put in a shift.

When we signed him, I said he will be Kuyt II and he is exactly that. Perhaps, with a little bit ball control.

Huge insult to Kuyt, who's a far better player. How is Maxi anything like Kuyt? He can't shoot, can't run and can't defend.

Maxi has to be one of the most forgetful players I've ever seen. He does nothing.

Huge insult to Kuyt, who's a far better player. How is Maxi anything like Kuyt? He can't shoot, can't run and can't defend.

Maxi has to be one of the most forgetful players I've ever seen. He does nothing.

He is... Apparently he turned up for the match today without his boots and he always leaves his TV on when he leaves the house I've heard...

Dirk is dissed when he plays and missed when he doesn't.

Go figure.

I wasn't trying to be disrespectful or insulting to Kuyt. I like him in a few games, absolutely hate him in a few. Always liked him as a person as I love anyone who gives 100% to my club.

The point I was making is, if we are signing a right sided midfielder, we should at least make sure the player is better than what we have already (Kuyt).

Benitez brought in lots of players who had attributes that suited the type of football that he wanted to play i.e. possession based, pass and move, forwards vs. deep midfielders, excelling working as a unit vs 1 on 1, etc. Hodgson has done a 180 and lots of players don't fit the mould. Maxi is one of them. He looks a lot worse than he is. Its my biggest worry about this year, the team will never gel because the squad is still half way between two philosophies.

Benitez brought in lots of players who had attributes that suited the type of football that he wanted to play i.e. possession based, pass and move, forwards vs. deep midfielders, excelling working as a unit vs 1 on 1, etc. Hodgson has done a 180 and lots of players don't fit the mould. Maxi is one of them. He looks a lot worse than he is. Its my biggest worry about this year, the team will never gel because the squad is still half way between two philosophies.

Good post, makes a lot of sense to me that.

Good post, makes a lot of sense to me that.

Funnily enough, someone just tweeted an article in the Danish press with Agger talking about the same thing. He is being asked to "unload" instead of playing his natural game and he was saying he wasn't willing to adapt 100% and he thinks this is why he's not getting picked.

Now obviously footballers will always find a reason for someone else to be at fault for not getting picked/their own short-comings, but it just highlights that there is, as I was sure there would be, a clash of philosophies.

People have very short memories. Kuyt was crap last year in almost every game - read back the match reviews. He certainly scores more goals, but my issue with him has always been the amount of possession he gives away and the stultifying effect he has on our attack - losing momentum, playing the wrong ball etc. Maxi was rubbish yesterday, but I believe Kuyt would have put us under more pressure than we were under yesterday; at least we were able to hold on to the ball for periods of the game. That's not just down to him of course, Poulsen used the ball better than Lucas would have done, and certainly made himself available for the ball more often too.

Funnily enough, someone just tweeted an article in the Danish press with Agger talking about the same thing. He is being asked to "unload" instead of playing his natural game and he was saying he wasn't willing to adapt 100% and he thinks this is why he's not getting picked.

Now obviously footballers will always find a reason for someone else to be at fault for not getting picked/their own short-comings, but it just highlights that there is, as I was sure there would be, a clash of philosophies.

Maybe if young Agger learned to defend properly first, he might then become the player he thinks he is? No coincidence that - for all the (rightful) criticism of Konchesky on here, it was his replacement, Agger, who was supposed to be defending that cross that led directly to the winning goal yesterday, and was horribly negligent.

He's also far too outspoken for my liking - same under the previous regime, whether it was about contracts or not getting selected.

I don't rate Skrtel much, but I don't think Danny has shown that he's a good enough defender either.

People have very short memories. Kuyt was crap last year in almost every game - read back the match reviews. He certainly scores more goals, but my issue with him has always been the amount of possession he gives away and the stultifying effect he has on our attack - losing momentum, playing the wrong ball etc. Maxi was rubbish yesterday, but I believe Kuyt would have put us under more pressure than we were under yesterday; at least we were able to hold on to the ball for periods of the game. That's not just down to him of course, Poulsen used the ball better than Lucas would have done, and certainly made himself available for the ball more often too.

Only the most one-eyed of spastics would have Maxi in the team ahead of Kuyt yesterday, and then have the brass fucking neck to try and *defend* the dispaly, by asserting that Kuyt might have been even worse.

Embarrassing, really.

Maybe if young Agger learned to defend properly first, he might then become the player he thinks he is? No coincidence that - for all the (rightful) criticism of Konchesky on here, it was his replacement, Agger, who was supposed to be defending that cross that led directly to the winning goal yesterday, and was horribly negligent.

He's also far too outspoken for my liking - same under the previous regime, whether it was about contracts or not getting selected.

I don't rate Skrtel much, but I don't think Danny has shown that he's a good enough defender either.

Watch the goal again and you will see that the cross coming in had nothing to do with agger. He was the 2nd defender. The only thing horribly negligent here is you, with all due respect.

And yeah he's got a gob on him just like most of the other spoilt millionaires, be they refusing to play at right back, or undermining the manager to the press to get themselves played in midfield, or their dream move to Barca. Kind of par for the course despite what you may have been hoodwinked into believing.

I'm convinced that alot of the problems at the moment stem from superior players being asked to play inferior tactics. Gerrard, Torres, Meireles, Agger, Johnson, Cole, these are all players who are comfortable on the ball and are able to express themselves on the pitch. I'd even include Maxi in that bracket to be honest. Why are we not seeing that? Why are they looking like shadows of the players we know they can be? It has to be the way they are being set out to play, a regimented shape, a willingness to sit back and allow pressure instead of harrying and pressing up the pitch, with no expression or flare on the ball. He is using Liverpool players in a Fulham set up.

I'm convinced that alot of the problems at the moment stem from superior players being asked to play inferior tactics. Gerrard, Torres, Meireles, Agger, Johnson, Cole, these are all players who are comfortable on the ball and are able to express themselves on the pitch. I'd even include Maxi in that bracket to be honest. Why are we not seeing that? Why are they looking like shadows of the players we know they can be? It has to be the way they are being set out to play, a regimented shape, a willingness to sit back and allow pressure instead of harrying and pressing up the pitch, with no expression or flare on the ball. He is using Liverpool players in a Fulham set up.

Yep, Its textbook contain and counter which to be fair can be a very very effective approach. Manure have used it for years the difference is, that isn't the only approach they have in the locker.

In my mind this is just phase I of the project; getting us solid again; all managers build from the back so I'm running with the 'he's getting the foundation in place' line.

I don't actually believe myself but hey if he can't get this working Phase II really doesn't become a factor.

It's a risk changing the manager without backing the new one sufficiently with funds to enable him to implement his ideas, with the necessary changes in personell. For this reason I've always thought Hodgson was up against it from the start.