You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Red Dead Redemption

Guest davelfc
Having never played GTA, could you all contextualise this for me please? IS it like Assassin's Creed where you have these open worlds that you can go anywhere in at your own pace, but choose to follow the linear missions too. Or not?

Yes, a sandbox game.

Redemption follows the story of John Marston, a reformed outlaw who must venture back into the world he left behind and track down his former gang members. While building upon mechanics laid out in the first game, this next-gen entry in the series looks to fully take advantage of the hardware, giving players a living, breathing sandbox that they can explore, complete with a wide variety of side quests and activities (like any good Rockstar title). Of course, the single player campaign is only part of the story – like Grand Theft Auto IV, Redemption has a number of multiplayer modes, including a sort of free-roam lobby that lets you and your friends conquer the frontier together.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having never played GTA, could you all contextualise this for me please? IS it like Assassin's Creed where you have these open worlds that you can go anywhere in at your own pace, but choose to follow the linear missions too. Or not?

Paul, it is exactly like Assassins Creed in that you can wander around to your hearts content and do missions as and when you wish. I loved Assassins Creed too, but this looks to be the most exciting games release in years (I've grown tired of the GTA format, but Rockstar are simply brilliant when it comes to this type of game with loads of secrets to discover and side missions).

Have a look at the official website and especially the trailers, I reckon you'll have ordered a copy within 20 minutes.

Rockstar Games Presents Red Dead Redemption

Paul, it is exactly like Assassins Creed in that you can wander around to your hearts content and do missions as and when you wish. I loved Assassins Creed too, but this looks to be the most exciting games release in years (I've grown tired of the GTA format, but Rockstar are simply brilliant when it comes to this type of game with loads of secrets to discover and side missions).

Have a look at the official website and especially the trailers, I reckon you'll have ordered a copy within 20 minutes.

Rockstar Games Presents Red Dead Redemption

I read this post, watched videos for 10 minutes and now i want it, I want it bad.

I read this post, watched videos for 10 minutes and now i want it, I want it bad.

I've got two weeks booked off work from 16th June so I can take in the World Cup properly (I'd have missed the afternoon and most of the early evening games otherwise). The non-football time during those two weeks is going to be taken over by this game, I can tell. I placed a pre-order from Tesco after 1892 put up the first post (cheers for that), and cannot wait to get in from work on Friday. Telly is so shit and this place and the ridiculous Rafa arguments in every thread and the reds in general are doing my head in, so this is something to look forward to.

Guest TK-421

I didn't know that Friends of Dean Martinez were involved in the soundtrack. They did some early singles on Sub Pop. They had to change their name from Friends of Dean Martin for copyright reasons, the first single was actually released under that name. I had stopped following them and didn't know they were still around. This game looks very cool indeed.

You've talked me into it. I've just ordered a copy (despite being a little dubious about the certificate with my kids around). However that Tesco code knocks a % off and the price must have gone up because it's £34 now.