You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stan Knows It!

Monster Masch

Stan Collymore's 3 point plan to success at Liverpool

Rafa Benitez's guarantee of a top four spot for Liverpool proved to be hollow but I have my own three-point plan for long-term success at Anfield - which I guarantee WILL work.

Point one has happened after the club’s hapless US owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett have finally confirmed they are willing to sell up.

They have had enough and are going, and thank God for that.

Point two would be Liverpool winning the Europa League this season, which would then lead into point three.

With the trophy clinched, Liverpool could parade it in front of their fans in Hamburg’s stadium.

Boss Benitez could then lift the trophy and walk down the tunnel and out of the club with a fond farewell and his head held high.

The new owners could then come in and recruit Jose Mourinho from Inter Milan and give him £100million for new players.

I have been banging a drum for Mourinho to come to Anfield since last season because I believe Rafa is simply not the man to end the club’s wait for a League title.

But there is no disguising the fact the season has been very poor - even if they end up winning in Europe.

They could finally win the championship again with Mourinho in charge, and battling it out in the later stages of cup competitions is what the club deserves.

If my plan is delivered I can guarantee that - unlike Rafa.

--------------------------------------------------

Haha, I wish.

Stan Collymore's 3 point plan to success at Liverpool

Rafa Benitez's guarantee of a top four spot for Liverpool proved to be hollow but I have my own three-point plan for long-term success at Anfield - which I guarantee WILL work.

Point one has happened after the club’s hapless US owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett have finally confirmed they are willing to sell up.

They have had enough and are going, and thank God for that.

Point two would be Liverpool winning the Europa League this season, which would then lead into point three.

With the trophy clinched, Liverpool could parade it in front of their fans in Hamburg’s stadium.

Boss Benitez could then lift the trophy and walk down the tunnel and out of the club with a fond farewell and his head held high.

The new owners could then come in and recruit Jose Mourinho from Inter Milan and give him £100million for new players.

I have been banging a drum for Mourinho to come to Anfield since last season because I believe Rafa is simply not the man to end the club’s wait for a League title.

But there is no disguising the fact the season has been very poor - even if they end up winning in Europe.

They could finally win the championship again with Mourinho in charge, and battling it out in the later stages of cup competitions is what the club deserves.

If my plan is delivered I can guarantee that - unlike Rafa.

--------------------------------------------------

Haha, I wish.

Mourinho stands for everything we despise as a football club. I support Liverpool FC because of what it's beliefs and characteristics as a football club are. We are not an arrogant club like the likes of Man Utd or Chelsea. We know how football should be and have always had managers with the same frame of mind. Mourinho is way out of this mind zone. People say winning is everything, but it's not. Man Utd are snidey little cunts because of what they stand for. If that's not an example of why winning isn't everything, I don't know what is!

Tough choice between that and this:

The Only Thing Collymore Can Guarantee… | The Tomkins Times | Paul Tomkins' blog about Liverpool Football Club (LFC)

The Only Thing Collymore Can Guarantee…

… is his own ignorance. Taking apart his arguments is a bit like shooting fish in a barrel. But hell, sometimes those fish are just crying out to be shot.

He has offered a three-point plan to ‘guarantee’ Liverpool the league title: get rid of Gillett and Hicks, employ Jose Mourinho and give him £100m to spend.

Yes, it’s that easy. Why didn’t anyone think of it sooner?

(He also says that “battling it out in the later stages of cup competitions is what the club deserves”, which, if memory serves, is what Liverpool are currently doing, even if falling short in other areas.)

But here’s my problem with Collymore’s plan.

He’s constantly slated Rafa, yet to bring success, he suggests Mourinho would need both £100m and the disappearance of the unhelpful owners.

Well, how can you say that Rafa isn’t good enough when he’s had neither of those luxuries? You can’t say that the owners need replacing – and that it’ll be long overdue – but then slate the man who’s had to work for what you imply are awful bosses.

And £100m? Rafa’s net spend is approximately £90m over six years. He has had to sell in order to buy, bar a small yearly sum, and even that dried up in 2008. Yes, some people think he’s spent £250m, because they ignore the basics of the economics involved. If he’s spent £250m, he had all that talent to hand, in a quite gigantic squad. But one has left, to be replaced by another; sometimes better, sometimes not.

Mourinho, however, would get £100m in one fell swoop? £100m gross? On the table, to start with?

Well, if he needs that much money (and he did at Chelsea), is Jose really a worker of miracles? Or just someone who can come in, spend massively, and make use of what are, admittedly, success methods?

You see, if he cannot do it without the funds, then he’d surely be just like any other manager chasing United and Chelsea – the incumbent at Manchester City excluded.

Let’s face it – any manager given £100m (gross) and supportive owners stands a chance at Liverpool.

But let’s presume Jose had to win the title, as Rafa has been expected to, but do with the same limitations the current Liverpool manager has had to deal with. I.e., let’s deal in reality.

To get that £100m (actually, it’d be just £90m), Mourinho would be given roughly £15m this summer, and for the next five seasons. Hardly seems easy to win the league when other clubs have spent £100m in single transfer windows.

To work like Rafa, if Mourinho really needed £100m, he’d have to sell first. So he either ships out Torres and Gerrard or Mascherano, for a flat £100m, or he sells 10-15 lower-valued players. Either way, a squad that has been underfunded would be decimated before any new additions could be introduced.

The first scenario is not what anyone would suggest is necessary for winning the title, while the second would mean finding 10-15 equally lower-valued players to come in and gel in an instant.

Collymore concludes: “If my plan is delivered I can guarantee that – unlike Rafa.”

Er, no-one can guarantee anything.

But at least a manager, when he tries to guarantee something, is putting his reputation on the line in an actual position of influence (even if he can’t control all the invariables), and doing so trying to stir his troops, rather than just shouting off his mouth.

But here’s the rub.

Go back to last summer, boot out the Americans and give Rafa £100m then – when the team was building a head of steam – instead of forcing him to buy players with only the money he’d raised, leaving a squad that cost £150m, when four rivals had squads at £200m or more. After all, you can’t say Mourinho would be able to do something Rafa hasn’t if Rafa hasn’t had the very tools you then say Mourinho requires.

But again, that’s returning to dreamland. If Mourinho had taken the job with warring owners and a break-even culture, he may well have found overtaking other clubs a bridge too far.

That's some plan, Stan. Here is point 4 by the way

FORMER Liverpool FC striker Stan Collymore is calling on Steven Gerrard to leave Anfield "in search of the Premier League".

Collymore believes the Reds ace will never win the ultimate goal while with Liverpool and he says many players in the current squad are not good enough to play alongside Gerrard.

"It's time for Steven Gerrard to put his loyalty to Liverpool to one side and go in search of the one honour that has eluded him - the Premier League," he writes in his latest column for MirrorFootball.co.uk.

"He's not going to see that day while he's wearing a red shirt and as sad as it is for me to say this as a former Liverpool player, I think it is time for him to leave Anfield.

"I was at Blackburn on Saturday and players like Lucas, Rieira and Kuyt don't deserve to play with him to be honest."

Collymore thinks Gerrard has more chance of winning a domestic title with Chelsea, Real Madrid, Barcelona, AC Milan and Inter Milan.

He said: "I've seen him lift the European Cup and I'd love to see him lift the Premier League trophy, but it won't be as a Rafa Benitez player and I'm not sure it will ever happen for him as a Liverpool player.

"I'm not saying this to try and wind up Liverpool fans. I just think it would be a tragedy if after seeing inferior players to him like Darren Fletcher and Michael Carrick win the title, he didn't.

"I know he says he wants to stay at Liverpool, but the only thing that is keeping him there is the fact that he's a Scouser and that he has the club in his blood.

"Ultimately, he owes Liverpool b***er all. He's done more than any other player over the last decade to bring success to Liverpool.

"It's time for someone else, like Alberto Aquilani, to take on that pressure and free him to go.

"He shouldn't feel that he has to stay to pacify the fans and they should let him go and win the title he deserves before it's too late."