You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Togo banned from next two CAF tournaments!

Chocoholic

African Nations Cup: Togo Suspended From Next Two Tournaments - Goal.com

African Nations Cup: Togo Suspended From Next Two Tournaments

CAF have cited 'governmental interference' as the reason for the exclusion...

By Anthony Wright

Jan 30, 2010 1:32:00 PM

Togo will be suspended from the next two editions of the African Nations Cup after the African Football Confederation (CAF) condemned the governmental interference that led to their withdrawal from this year's tournament.

The Togolese were subject to a horrific attack on their team bus in Cabinda on January 8, which killed an assistant coach, a press officer and the bus driver. Following discussions with the country's government, the team decided to return to Togo for a mourning period.

Togo had then considered re-entering the tournament, but were ordered not to by the government. The Sparrow Hawks were officially disqualified from the tournament after failing to play their group stage match against Ghana.

According to a CAF statement, it was the recall that violated their laws and resulted in a ban for the next two tournaments.

"The players publicly expressed their willingness to return to the Nations Cup to compete. But the Togo government decided to call back their national team," the statement reads.

"The decision by political authorities contravenes CAF and African Nations Cup regulations. The executive committee therefore has banned Togo from the next two African Nations Cup and fined the Togo FA 50,000 U.S. dollars."

Absolutely incredible!

Incredible but not unexpected. FIFA/UEFA have a rule that if a government interferes in a league the league's teams are banned from their competitions. Their power mongers ain't going to let their gravy train get hijacked by a bigger bunch of chancers than themselves now are they.

Guest Pistonbroke

If i was in charge of the Togo F.A i'd tell them to stick their shitty cup up their arses. What a pathetic move on behalf of CAF.

How the fuck the world Cup is going to go off trouble free is beyond me. be people getting kidnapped left right and centre. Hope i'm wrong like.

If i was in charge of the Togo F.A i'd tell them to stick their shitty cup up their arses. What a pathetic move on behalf of CAF.

How the fuck the world Cup is going to go off trouble free is beyond me. be people getting kidnapped left right and centre. Hope i'm wrong like.

I agree with all of this.... Maybe someone will nab Terry.... then you'll see a Tiger like flood of birds that he's thrown his hate seed into

Beggars belief. First the players get their bus shot up, three people killed and their reserve keeper in intensive care, so obviously feel they have to leave. After a peiod of mourning and reflection they decide they would be happy to return to the tournament, partly to honour the memory of the people killed, but are forbidden from doing so by their government. CAF don't agree with the actions of the government, so decide the appropriate response is to punish the players.

I'm struggling to see how this could get more fucked up.

Guest Pistonbroke
Beggars belief. First the players get their bus shot up, three people killed and their reserve keeper in intensive care, so obviously feel they have to leave. After a peiod of mourning and reflection they decide they would be happy to return to the tournament, partly to honour the memory of the people killed, but are forbidden from doing so by their government. CAF don't agree with the actions of the government, so decide the appropriate response is to punish the players.

I'm struggling to see how this could get more fucked up.

If it can get more complicated you can bet on the Africans making it so. Surely common sense should prevail. Surprised Blatter isn't getting involved, although he might have to give all those diamonds*** he got as a bribe fro letting the World cup go to Africa. *** Allegedly... whistles....

Let's see if any of the other teams have the bottle to show a bit of support. At the end of the tournament the other nations should tell CAF that none of them will play in future tournaments unless they reverse this ridiculous decision.

Guest Pistonbroke
I haven't watched a single second of this tournament and have no intention of doing so...

I watched the first game due to a bet i had running. 4-0 up and my winnings were being spent by the missus and kids. Ended up 4-4 and my missus and kids were more pissed off than myself. Not watched any matches since. Wankers lol.

After Hillsborough were pressurised by the FA as soon as the day after for an answer as to whether we'd be continue that season. Imagine what the furore would have been like if we'd been kicked out the FA Cup for a couple of years if we'd decided not to compete that year. Fukcing disgrace by the African federation

It works out well for CAF doesn't it - they lost money because of the Togo games being cancelled but now they'll get some when the Togo FA pay the fine. Tidy bit of work that.

If it can get more complicated you can bet on the Africans making it so. Surely common sense should prevail. Surprised Blatter isn't getting involved, although he might have to give all those diamonds*** he got as a bribe fro letting the World cup go to Africa. *** Allegedly... whistles....

Blatter getting involved and common sense are mutually exclusive options.