You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If rafa does go (and i want him to) who do we get to replace him?

Rick9

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are missing my point bigtime. Players are not bought for Real Madrid by the manager. They are bought by the hierarchy.

i see, okay, that has it's own problems i agree and is a reason why he left valencia but i am sure that madrid set up is preferable to ours for 99% of managers out there

I think the team is crying out for a fresh approach. Too much negativity surrounding the club. We need a big personality to lift the mood and get the players playing with confidence and motivation.

or get some luck with injuries buy some decent players and do what we did at the end of last year, that hasn't vanished, we are capable.

I've been looking to see who's doing well this season without spending much.

Jupp Heynckes - top of the German league with Leverkusen but they've won 9 and drawn 8. Probaly won't win and he's 65 so probably rule him out.

Domingos Paciência - top of the league in Portugal with SC Braga, ahead of Benfica whoa re 2nd and Porto who are 3rd. He has a very small budget too but has only done well this season so i'd rule him out too.

Jesualdo Ferreira - Won 3 leagues in a row with Porto but i think thay spend more than any other team in Portugal. Currelntly 3rd in teh league and he's 63.

Steve McLaren - Doing well in Holland but completely failed in his one big job. No way.

Apart from Blanc there's no one really out there who isn't in their 60s, who is proven to do well with less funds than his rivals.

Fuckin Hughes? oh dear GOD. Did someone open up a portal to a new dimension in August and just chucked us in? I've never known anything like this season. Maybe it's that LHC thingy creating a black hole around LFC? Maybe it's climate change? Maybe it's Heather Mills dodgy leg...

well if Rafa's allowed excuses......

I can see it now, tons of world class managers thinking, "yeah, Liverpool are a healthy propsect at the minute, what with their clued-up, savvy owners with their American fingers on the footballing pulse their fellow countrymen seem oblivious to. That squad is in prime shape, just needs some positive thinking and we'll be flying. No money? That isn't a problem we can easily compete with United, Chelsea and the rest on a half-a-shoestring budget. Somebody get me Edgar Davids' number! Of course Torres will stay if they finish eighth and have no money to spend.... I can't wait to get my CV into Anfield"

Was the job so attractive when Rafa took it? Mongs in charge of the club, squad full of lemons, less money to spend than your competitors and struggling to qualify for Europe ...

Sounds unnervingly familiar.

I think we are still a massive draw for anyone not currently in a top job, and perhaps even for some who are.

Was the job so attractive when Rafa took it? Mongs in charge of the club, squad full of lemons, less money to spend than your competitors and struggling to qualify for Europe ...

Sounds unnervingly familiar.

I think we are still a massive draw for anyone not currently in a top job, and perhaps even for some who are.

We had some money to spend then. We had very little debt and normally had about £15-20m per summer. Now we have about $0 to spend each summer.

Outsiders wouldn't have known what massive fuckwits parry and Moores were.

We had some money to spend then. We had very little debt and normally had about £15-20m per summer. Now we have about $0 to spend each summer.

That won't be unfamiliar to a lot of managers. Many of them rely on coaching and motivational skills and a good eye for a player rather than wads of cash. Rafa himself was brought in as a manager who could supposedly outperform richer clubs ...

Anyway, I think if a new manager is hired some funds would be found to let him adjust the squad. Just move some of the "massive" summer funds back to Jan ;)

That won't be unfamiliar to a lot of managers.

Many of them rely on coaching and motivational skills and a good eye for a player rather than wads of cash. Rafa himself was brought in as a manager who could supposedly outperform richer clubs ...

Anyway, I think if a new manager is hired some funds would be found to let him adjust the squad. Just move some of the "massive" summer funds back to Jan ;)

Like who? I've been trying to find anyone doing it consistently and can't find anyone winning much without funds.

I don't think all managers need wads of cash but managers at clubs like Liverpool need some cash.

Like who? I've been trying to find anyone doing it consistently and can't finding anyone winning much without funds.

That's because it's very difficult to win consistently without funds. It's the same for Rafa, and I've no argument with that.

Whilst we are not winning though, I want to see someone who can motivate players, build a versatile squad, and who has a coherent vision of how we should play attractive football.

Rafa is a talented manager who has brought success to the club, but we are on a rapid downward spiral and need to make a change sooner rather than later for the good of the football club. The results and performances have been unacceptable all season and the style of football is dire. There are very few if any positives at present.

I think the summer of 2008 was where it all started to go wrong for Rafa with the failed pursuit of Gareth Barry which unsettled Xabi Alonso in the process. He wasted approx. £40M that summer on Keane, Riera, Dossena, Cavalieri and Degen, none of whom have provided value for money. Had the money been better invested, then perhaps that would have been the difference between finishing 2nd and winning the title last season, and we would have had a stronger squad this season to cope with injuries and suspensions better.

Rafa looked like a man carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders last night and I can see this getting a lot worse if he remains at the helm.

I think we need to bite the bullet and make a change now, and let Kenny takeover until the end of the season.

Cavalieri looks like a good back up keeper, Riera looked very good last season, injured this season, so I'm not sure how you're judging him ... and errr wasn't Degen a freebie? Again Degen looks great going forward, shame he's made of glass.

That's because it's very difficult to win consistently without funds. It's the same for Rafa, and I've no argument with that.

Whilst we are not winning though, I want to see someone who can motivate players, build a versatile squad, and who has a coherent vision of how we should play attractive football.

If you're accepting not winning as long as we play good football, who do you reckon?

There aren't that many very good managers about and if we take a punt on someone who's doing well at a lower sort of level, like midtable team punching above their weight, it's a massive risk that they'd completely fail when they come here cos they've no experiecnce of being able to handle a big club and the expectations.

Outsiders wouldn't have known what massive fuckwits parry and Moores were.

We also had a reputation for not sacking managers at the first sign of trouble.

It pains me to say this but at the moment I don't give a flying fuck whoever comes in - as long as that man fucks off with a shred of dignity left in him. He's made us the laughing stock of European football and there's no place for him here.

Oh my GOD!!!!! Sorry which team do you support again, and do you actually know anything about our European exploits over the last 5 years compared to the previous 5?

jaysus Paul ,you`re killing me

Guardiola could be a sneaky one,

isnt he refusing to sign a new contract with Barca at the minute?

if not, Rjkaard, hiddink

I'm trying to look at realistically. If you want attacking football, Mourinho isn't the man. Neither is McLeish.

We could probably get Rijkaard though, seeeing he's at Galatasaray.