You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I'd love to see him as interim manager...love it.

AussieRed

I'm having a go at the idea of calling for Carra to manage now. Not whether or not Carra will be a top manager. He may very well be, who knows.

I am saying that some people are indulging in Newcatlse like nonsense with calls for Dalglish or Keegan to come in and manage us. If we are to sack Rafa now, then lets get the right man for the job in now. No interim managers with a quick fix of a few wins in a row and then back to losing games again. A waste of time that.

so what if the right man is available in the summer, would you not think kenny could hold the fort quite comfortably till then? I'd be surprised if kenny took charge he'd get less out of our next 17 games as we have the last. Yet 3 matches into rafa's "our season starts here" comments, we've already lost 2 of them which very much suggests to me under rafa our next 17 may well as be as bad as out last 17.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who would be in favour of going the Director of Football route?

it would have to depend on how it's set up (in terms of roles and responisbilities with both Dof, MD and Manager) and who you plan to put in as DoF and manager to work that system. Enforcing it, or putting an idiot as DoF (like Newcastle or Spurs), well it spells disaster.

it would have to depend on how it's set up (in terms of roles and responisbilities with both Dof, MD and Manager) and who you plan to put in as DoF and manager to work that system. Enforcing it, or putting an idiot as DoF (like Newcastle or Spurs), well it spells disaster.

Agree, getting the balance and the relationships right is key. It just seems like there is so much to be done that one man can't do it all and you've more chance of getting a bright, innovative first team coach than someone who can handle the full range of a manager's responsibilities. For example, if we found someone like Guardiola, what chance would he have without the same kind of supporting infrastructure he has at Barca?

The talk of Mourinho etc is all nice, but let's face it, we're going to be looking at the Guadiola types more and a DoF setup is the best chance of helping them succeed, no?

Agree, getting the balance and the relationships right is key. It just seems like there is so much to be done that one man can't do it all and you've more chance of getting a bright, innovative first team coach than someone who can handle the full range of a manager's responsibilities. For example, if we found someone like Guardiola, what chance would he have without the same kind of supporting infrastructure he has at Barca?

The talk of Mourinho etc is all nice, but let's face it, we're going to be looking at the Guadiola types more and a DoF setup is the best chance of helping them succeed, no?

obviously it depends where the ownership ends up, but it seems an easier fit with continental coaches anyway. The blend would have to be right though, as the press would be waiting to dive straight in and create instability at the 1st sign of trouble. I'm not for or against it. I am however against a manager having quite the power rafa has, it's too big and leaves too big a hole when he goes.

roy hodgson will be our next manager

Of all the suggestions I have heard, kenny aside, this is the only decent one. I like Roy. And he speaks Swedish, which is a bonus.

I know the thread starter (twisted thread starter) wasn't joking but unfortunately the suggestion was a joke. I love keegan, but i don't want him anywhere near the club. I can understand that people have lost faith with Rafa, but Keegan as a replacement is just silly talk.

so what if the right man is available in the summer, would you not think kenny could hold the fort quite comfortably till then? I'd be surprised if kenny took charge he'd get less out of our next 17 games as we have the last. Yet 3 matches into rafa's "our season starts here" comments, we've already lost 2 of them which very much suggests to me under rafa our next 17 may well as be as bad as out last 17.

I don't think we should change. If we, for arguments sake, brought in Dalglish on a temp bases, there would be a pick up for a few games as seems to happen with a new manager, and then I'd be worried we'd collapse again, and then have a manager who hasn't managed in nearly 10 years, and who has failed in his last 2 managerial positions trying to pull it back up. I'd rather have current experiece in the job, that we have now. I think the problems are an awful lot deeper then just a manager making mistakes. I think there is something wrong at the very top (understatement or what!) that is now affecting the whole ethos and character of the club, and the players only see a ship that is dead in the water and beyond help as far as ever challenging again is concerned. And I don't think they see the manager as the issue, as he took them the nearest ever to a title challenge on a few months ago. I think the players, like us, want to see the ownership thing sorted first and foremost.

I'd wait until the summer and then if the right man is available, and things have remained the same, we get someone in.

However, like last year, and nearly every other year, I still think we'll find our form in the 2nd half of the season and get into the top 4 by March/April time. I know I'll be called a dreamer (or a cunt) but I firmly believe this.

Then, in the summer, we can make our decisions.

I don't think we should change. If we, for arguments sake, brought in Dalglish on a temp bases, there would be a pick up for a few games as seems to happen with a new manager, and then I'd be worried we'd collapse again, and then have a manager who hasn't managed in nearly 10 years, and who has failed in his last 2 managerial positions trying to pull it back up. I'd rather have current experiece in the job, that we have now. I think the problems are an awful lot deeper then just a manager making mistakes. I think there is something wrong at the very top (understatement or what!) that is now affecting the whole ethos and character of the club, and the players only see a ship that is dead in the water and beyond help as far as ever challenging again is concerned. And I don't think they see the manager as the issue, as he took them the nearest ever to a title challenge on a few months ago. I think the players, like us, want to see the ownership thing sorted first and foremost.

I'd wait until the summer and then if the right man is available, and things have remained the same, we get someone in.

However, like last year, and nearly every other year, I still think we'll find our form in the 2nd half of the season and get into the top 4 by March/April time. I know I'll be called a dreamer (or a cunt) but I firmly believe this.

Then, in the summer, we can make our decisions.

As much as I dislike Benitez (both for his political shite in the club and what is going on the pitch), I've been very wary of saying all along we should get rid no matter what - be careful what you wish for and all that. If we had competant owners I would have said some time ago fire him now, but we don't, so we'd be relying on them to improve on rafa, which considering they know as much about football as i know about their football, would mean we'd end up with the footballing equivalent of dan marino managing us - which might be a good thing or a bad, but i have no idea what dan marino has done since being a quarter back on channel 4 once. However, it's becoming clear if the players picked the team themselves and went out with no real preparation we'd struggle to do worse than we currently are. This run of game were in now, after beating the mancs you think "it'll get better now", it didn't. you thgink after the derby "it'll get better now", it didn't. I'm, seeing no signs at all fo it getting better and I find it really difficult to imagine anybody doing worse. Has he lost the dressing room? I've no idea, but they're playing like he has. You say come aprile we'll pick up some points - fuck me that's months off. We're midtable now, we needed to turn this round games and games ago and rafa seems increasingly incapable of doing so. He's also wearing the demeanour of someone who has no idea of what is going on or how to stop it. He looks worn, confused and the stuff coming out of his mouth defies belief at times. Despite our owners, I see no reason to keep him round right now, because it can't possibly be worse. Kenny steadying the ship for the remainder of this season would be fine with me - it'd be better than dan marino being in charge anyway.

As much as I dislike Benitez (both for his political shite in the club and what is going on the pitch), I've been very wary of saying all along we should get rid no matter what - be careful what you wish for and all that. If we had competant owners I would have said some time ago fire him now, but we don't, so we'd be relying on them to improve on rafa, which considering they know as much about football as i know about their football, would mean we'd end up with the footballing equivalent of dan marino managing us - which might be a good thing or a bad, but i have no idea what dan marino has done since being a quarter back on channel 4 once. However, it's becoming clear if the players picked the team themselves and went out with no real preparation we'd struggle to do worse than we currently are. This run of game were in now, after beating the mancs you think "it'll get better now", it didn't. you thgink after the derby "it'll get better now", it didn't. I'm, seeing no signs at all fo it getting better and I find it really difficult to imagine anybody doing worse. Has he lost the dressing room? I've no idea, but they're playing like he has. You say come aprile we'll pick up some points - fuck me that's months off. We're midtable now, we needed to turn this round games and games ago and rafa seems increasingly incapable of doing so. He's also wearing the demeanour of someone who has no idea of what is going on or how to stop it. He looks worn, confused and the stuff coming out of his mouth defies belief at times. Despite our owners, I see no reason to keep him round right now, because it can't possibly be worse. Kenny steadying the ship for the remainder of this season would be fine with me - it'd be better than dan marino being in charge anyway.

No, I said that come March/April we'll be in the top 4 by then. i.e. the pick up of form and points would have already happened and we'd have caught up.

I understand the rest of your post. Things are awful at the moment. As bad as ever. And Rafa didn't look well after the game on Saturday. I just think there is more to it then a manager who has lost the plot. I think sacking Rafa now and getting in some temp would not improve things. I think Rafa still can turn things around. That doesn't mean that come the summer he should keep his job, I just think I wouldn't want anyone else coming in there mid-season that the Yanks would employ. It's all ifs and buts as we are truly awful at the moment, but Rafa has turned us around before, so he can do it again, and then lets assess in the summer. But I agree, this run of form and perforamnces puts huge question marks over his head. But, there is an awful lot more wrong then just some managerial errors. And while people say that the shite owners are covering for Rafa, I think the push on wanting Rafa sacked is covering for some awful player performances with school boy errors by usually reliable seasoned players.

No, I said that come March/April we'll be in the top 4 by then. i.e. the pick up of form and points would have already happened and we'd have caught up.

I understand the rest of your post. Things are awful at the moment. As bad as ever. And Rafa didn't look well after the game on Saturday. I just think there is more to it then a manager who has lost the plot. I think sacking Rafa now and getting in some temp would not improve things. I think Rafa still can turn things around. That doesn't mean that come the summer he should keep his job, I just think I wouldn't want anyone else coming in there mid-season that the Yanks would employ. It's all ifs and buts as we are truly awful at the moment, but Rafa has turned us around before, so he can do it again, and then lets assess in the summer. But I agree, this run of form and perforamnces puts huge question marks over his head. But, there is an awful lot more wrong then just some managerial errors. And while people say that the shite owners are covering for Rafa, I think the push on wanting Rafa sacked is covering for some awful player performances with school boy errors by usually reliable seasoned players.

i agree there's more wrong at our club than the manager - it's rotten to the core, I've said it a millions times times before, if it was down to me i'd be rid of the lot of them. Unfortunately none of it is down to me and the owners are going knowhere as their valuation of the club clearly exceeds that of every person on the planet who is capable of getting the asking price together. I don't trust the yanks now or in the summer to be honest, but I just can't see Rafa turning this round. Until a week ago, despite my reservations of the manager, I felt there was no way we couldn't finish top 4 - riena, torres and gerrard (if the latter 2 got fit) could get us there on their own. But the more you watch the team, the more it's clear to see the players need a shake up that rafa seems unable to do. For me he's got to go now despite us having the yanks and if there is nobody of real quality about, I think Kenny would be a good backup option till the season ends.