You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Grandad or Uncle Albert

captainharris

Battle of the Trotters  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Battle of the Trotters

Great thread, this has been the subject of a Friday night round the table pissed discussion a few times.

Grandad was fucking ace, but on occasion, Albert was even better. This needs rethinking. If Lennard Pearce had lived for another couple of series, then it would have been no contest.

Grandad certainly had the better one liners.

After Rodney has just told he family he's seeing a 40 year old

Del: Blimey. She's even too old for me

Grandad: Well, I'd have to think twice!

Del Boy: Well, I've gotta admire yer bottle Rodders - I must admit. You've been in the business five minutes and already you've opened up a Spanish branch. You've cornered the World market on broken lawnmower engines - what's your partner doing now, is he buying second-hand pedalos?

Rodney: No, no, no, nothing like that, no, we're - we're going into the self-catering holiday trade.

Del Boy: Cor, what on 200 nicker?

Rodney: Yeah well, we're starting in a small way.

Grandad: What you got, a Wendy House?

After Rodney sees the axe murder at the window

Rodney: I'm telling you there was someone at the window!

Grandad: Did he have a bucket and a chamois leather?

There's too much Albert hating on this thread.

The scene is set- a distressed pregnant German woman is alone in the Nag's Head.

Albert: I can speak to her, Del, I picked up a bit of German during the war.

Del: Go on then, Albert.

(pulls up a chair opposite her)

Albert: VOT IST YOR NAYME?

Both great characters.

Grandad for me, remember that one where they got locked up in Spain because they thought he was wanted many many years ago for jaywalking? A great, great programme OFAH, all things considered i would say it was THE greatest.

Yep, that was smashing, and all things considered, it is the best Sitcom of all time. Its in a league of its own for characterization, humour and longevity.

Does anyone remember the British Comedy Awards (I think it was) when Uncle Albert was leaving the stage and executed a perfect comedy fall? Brilliant, it was. Chaplainesque. He went down in a split-second, like someone falling in a manhole. Everyone laughed, then they came back from an ad break and said it wasn't a stunt, but not to worry, he should be OK...